aberdeen-music

The Tennis Thread

Woodsinho

Guest Gladstone
Feels like Nadal has an injury scare at very grand slam about this stage of the tournament. I never for a second thought he would pull out.

I was only listening to the match at that point in my car, and it sounded serious. He lost the first few points of the tie-break, and sounded like he was giving up because he just wasn't able to hit his shots properly. He must have adjusted something in the way he was standing or something to get through the tie-break and when he was handed the set I didn't think he would pack it in. But for about 3 or 4 points I thought he was going to retire.

It maybe didn't look as bad as the 5 Live commentators made it sound?

Guest Gladstone

Wouldn't like to get in the way of the ball when Tsonga smashes in one of his big forehands! Jesus - some zip behind that!

Federer's already broken him at the first opportunity though. Looking like first set will be his...

Guest Gladstone
Dangerous but inconsistent. Possibly over a 'best of three' he could sneak a decent win off someone but I can't see him taking anything from any of the big boys in a 'best of five'.

Yeah - definitely agree. By dangerous I don't mean I ever thought Federer would be in danger of losing the match, but just that he's a good player and Federer is making it look pretty easy, whereas you might expect a tougher match. Early days yet, but that's the first set gone in what 30 minutes?

Meanwhile, on Court 1...

Tomic has equalled things up against Djokovic and has a broken again in the first game of set three. Of the 4 QFs this is the one I least expected to bring an upset. Wish I could watch it, looks like a humdinger.

I thought the exact opposite. Apparently tomic knows djokovic's game better than anyone due to them practicing together a lot. Whole different game in a Wimbledon qf of course but this was the only one I saw as being a potential upset.

Federer in full flow is a beautiful thing. I don't care how many titles nadal wins, noone plays the game with as much finesse as fed. Best player ever.

Guest Gladstone

Federer in full flow is a beautiful thing. I don't care how many titles nadal wins, noone plays the game with as much finesse as fed. Best player ever.

Yeah - Federer is completely awesome. He makes everything look so effortless.

Tsonga is mostly using the same technique I try to employ when I play tennis - "just bloody smash it, then make them run back and forth and back and forth"

Guest Gladstone
Tsonga is mostly using the same technique I try to employ when I play tennis - "just bloody smash it, then make them run back and forth and back and forth"

I bet he hits the ball harder than you do.