aberdeen-music

The Tennis Thread

Woodsinho

Guest Gladstone

I honestly think it's just the mentality that's letting him down. He clearly has the talent, the shots, the movement etc when he's on his game to match Nadal and the others, but that one missed shot and it all turned on its head yesterday. At one point, Nadal just didn't have any answers because Murray was hitting everything, his first serves were going in etc etc. That shot he missed, he'd just completely bossed a Nadal service game and that mentality crept in as he swung for it which told him to hit the line. There was no need to hit the line and after the point he knew that and he starting missing more and more shots that he'd been hitting for the first set and a half.

If he can get the mental side sorted out, then he'll have a chance of competing in grand slams with the top 3 but until then, he'll probably never win one. Well, he might win one because, you know if he'd actually made that point instead of putting it over the line, I'm confident he would have went 2 sets up and from there he would probably have won the match. But then he would have to come out with the same intensity and get over any mistakes etc against the new world number 1 in the final.

I'm confident he has it in him to win grand slams, but he really needs to get the mentality sorted. If you watched Nadal yesterday, he was getting crucified for a set and a half, but he never reacted once. Never showed any emotion. Just waited for Murray's game to drop off a little and then turned the match on its head. Murray was still in the driving seat after that missed shot and should have been able to put it behind him but he just couldn't.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone think Andy Murray can do it this time? A crazy work schedule + the frankly ridiculous time difference has meant I've only watched one set of tennis the entire tournament (Murray's last set last night) but by all accounts he's playing ok. Hasn't been tested yet though. Same old story though: top 4 guys breeze through to semis, work starts now.

I haven't seen any of it either thanks to time zones. I don't think he'll beat Djokovic on Friday morning but I reckon it'll be a closer match that the final last year. He'll take at least a set this time. Plus it's an 8.30 start so I'll be able to listen to the commentary at work. That's 5 majors in a row that Murray's got to at least the semi-finals though, pretty impressive stuff.

It's ridiculous how much better than everyone else the current top 4 is - especially in contrast to the women's side of things where no one seems to be able to perform at a high level for more than one major tournament at a time. David Ferrer basically came out and said there's no way he'll be able to close the gap on the top 4 after losing to Djokovic this morning and he's been at either 5 or 6 in the rankings for the last 12 months.

That's Nads into the final then. I'd probably prefer him to Federer for Murray's sake, but I doubt he'll get past Djokovic tomorrow anyway. This aint his tournament this year, but I think it will still be big year for him. He only made 44% of his 1st serves against Nicky Shorey, in the last round, who I didn't know had a tennis career as well. That's not good. Mind you, I've read the reports, I havn't actually seen any of the games.

What yous think?

Haven't seen him play much in this tournament but overall I think he's just not as good as the other 3 unfortunately. He needs a lucky break one of these tournaments, that's the only way I can see him winning one. Going toe to toe with nads, feds, djok, he'll lose every time. One of them has an off day (nadal gets knackered, djok gets stroppy (although he's cut that out pretty much) or Federer goes into quiet mode) then he's got a chance but he'll never beat them on top form, I think that's just a reality. Hopefully he proves me wrong tomorrow but I just can't see it happening.

Agreed, the other 3 are on another plane of awesome skills compared to Murray (who is still way, way ahead of the rest of the chasing pack). He is at least capable of beating those guys though, which is more than can be said for everyone else on the tour. He's beaten them all at least once in the last year (granted, the win against Djoko was by retirement but he was totally bossing that match before the injury happened) and was playing the best stuff I've seen from him at the back end of last year. Especially in the final of the Tokyo event against Nadal where he came back from losing the first set to win 3-6 6-2 6-0. Destroyed him.

Even if he beats Djoko (which would be a fantastic achievement in itself considering his form last year) Nadal will have had an extra day's rest for the final.

Still Murray can take a lot from this start to the season. Hopefully if he doesn't win he won't let it affect him like the grand slam losses did last year.

Is this the 5th grand slam semi-final for Murray in a row? Brilliant effort.

It is, aye. He's been remarkably consistent since losing to Wawrinka in the 2010 US Open. 9 semi-finals in total is nothing to be sniffed at either.

Listening to the commentary it sounds like Djoko is fading fast but I've seen that kind of thing from him before only for him to magically feel better a few games later so I'll only believe it when the match is over and he's out.

Even if he beats Djoko (which would be a fantastic achievement in itself considering his form last year) Nadal will have had an extra day's rest for the final.

Still Murray can take a lot from this start to the season. Hopefully if he doesn't win he won't let it affect him like the grand slam losses did last year.

Is this the 5th grand slam semi-final for Murray in a row? Brilliant effort.

Don't write him off yet. He's playing some of the best stuff I've seen him play in the match. He'll beat Nadal if he plays like this against him.

What a total 4th best in the world cunt. Losing games like that are what cost you grand slams. Djoko to take the tie break and 4th set now.

BOOOO-UUUUUUURNS

Wrong! Murray's taken it and 2 sets to 1 lead. Still trying not to get carried away though. Wouldn't surprise me if Djokovic took the next set.