aberdeen-music

The Tennis Thread

Woodsinho

I think the Henman comparison is really unfair. Murray is already at a much higher standard than Henman ever reached. He's completely eclipsed him in number of titles won and world ranking. Henman was a decent player that often played above himself for 2 weeks at Wimbledon while Murray is a great player that has won everything except a grand slam and even then he's reached 3 finals. In any ther era he'd have probably won a few grand slams by now but the standard of the top 3 players is immense just now.

I think his main problem is a mental one. He gets angry at himself during big games and loses focus which brings inconsistency into his play. You don't see Federer or Nadal do that and now you don't see Djokovic do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

Didn't see any of the Queen's Club tournament, but as I had a day off today I watched the final. Tsonga is some boy like. The power and variation in his play is ridiculous, but Murray showed how good he is in the second half of the match. When it really mattered in the second set tie-break, Murray took him apart, and then played some awesome tennis in the third set.

Tsonga played at an incredible intensity today, but Murray outplayed him in the end. A great tennis match to watch though - great entertainment. I only saw a few highlights of the Roddick match, but sounds like Murray just brushed him aside.

If Murray can hit his A game against the big guns, he's in with a real chance at Wimbledon this year. Weirdly, I'd rather see Murray win US or Australian Open before he wins Wimbledon. I'm not sure why - maybe because that's his best surface, and some of his performances at the US Open in particular have had me thinking "this is his year". But fuck it, if he wins Wimbledon, I'll be delighted!

Murray could be in trouble here.

Doubt it though. Seems in control. The other lad will tire I reckon.

He always seems to do this though, was doing it a lot in the French. Dropping the opening set or at least having to fight back from breaks down. Seems like he needs to work on his game to come out swinging, you don't see the big 3 coming out regularly and dropping sets often in the early rounds.

He always seems to do this though, was doing it a lot in the French. Dropping the opening set or at least having to fight back from breaks down. Seems like he needs to work on his game to come out swinging, you don't see the big 3 coming out regularly and dropping sets often in the early rounds.

Actually you do. Federer and Nadal love an opening round 4 or 5 setter. Nadal went five sets with isner in the french open. They always seem to 'kick-on'.* after it though

*Trademark any Man Utd player when getting interviewed in January

Guest Gladstone

Just turned on the tennis to find Laura Robson a set down and 5-3 down in the second with Sharapova serving for the match, and Robson has a break point...

Deuce, fuck - good shot from Sharapova.

And match point... and she's fucked it. Oh well. She seems a good prospect at just 17. Only saw the final game in this match, but she looked like she was competing okay with Sharapova. She played really well in the first round match against someone ranked far higher.

Hard to tell if she's got what it takes to get close to the top, but at least she's not shite like most British players have been for quite a long time...

Guest Gladstone

Fucking hell - I saw some of Roddick's match the other day and he destroyed the guy he was playing but he's 2 sets and a break down in the third.

Could be down and out unless he turns it around very quickly.

EDIT: Who is this guy Lopez that Roddick is playing?

Lopez has been around for ages - usually somewhere between 20-50 in the rankings. I saw him give Federer a real working over in the Madrid Masters a couple of months back before losing in a final set tie break so he's obviously capable of a good performance. Still, you'd expect Roddick to have the advantage on grass.

Guest Gladstone
Lopez has been around for ages - usually somewhere between 20-50 in the rankings. I saw him give Federer a real working over in the Madrid Masters a couple of months back before losing in a final set tie break so he's obviously capable of a good performance. Still, you'd expect Roddick to have the advantage on grass.

Just looked him up. He's ranked 44 - apparently gave Roddick a good game at Queens, but Roddick came out on top. Roddick just saved the first of two match points...

Looks very much like he's going out though...

Guest Gladstone

Murray's 2 sets up against Gasquet. Looks in control at the moment. If (big IF at the moment I know!) he takes him out in straight sets and looking as comfortable as he is at the moment, that will be a big win for him at this stage of the tournament. Gasquet's been the "dangerous" opponent in his route to the semi finals that everyone's been speaking about.

The thing is, if Murray loses pre-semi it is now a huge surprise and can be considered a 'blip'. Gascquet is dangerous but Murray is still streaks ahead of him in terms of fitness, variation, power. It's all down to how he does against federer/nadal/djokovic in the late stages of a tournament. That's his weak point at the moment.

Guest Gladstone
The thing is, if Murray loses pre-semi it is now a huge surprise and can be considered a 'blip'. Gascquet is dangerous but Murray is still streaks ahead of him in terms of fitness, variation, power. It's all down to how he does against federer/nadal/djokovic in the late stages of a tournament. That's his weak point at the moment.

I always expected him to beat Gasquet because well Murray is no.4 in the world and Gasquet is what no.17? But, he's making it look very easy at the moment against what some saw as a dangerous opponent. Serving for the match now although Gasquet has taken the first 2 points of Murray's service game...!

Worst thing to happen now would be nadal retiring, del pots goin on to win his 2nd grand slam thus proving his us open win was no fluke, piling pressure on murray as the nailed on 4th best player in the world and showing he can come back from injury. Murray realises there's yet another player/hurdle between him and glory, cant handle it, fades into mediocrity, never wins a major and retires early. Can see it happening. At least it'd take the smug grin off judy's craggy face. Hope not though.

Guest Gladstone

BBC Sport - Wimbledon 2011: Rafael Nadal confirms Wimbledon fitness

Fuck all wrong with him. He was just play-acting. Obviously.

Na - it looked bad for him at one point. I didn't want him to retire from injury because if Murray did happen to go and win the tournament, some would always say he didn't beat the best etc etc (which I would have said was horseshit because you can only beat what's in front of you) and if Murray then got to the semi-final and got beat by someone else, it would really dent his grand slam hopes!

I want him to get to the semi-final, beat Nadal and then beat whoever gets to the final. Nae asking for much.