aberdeen-music

The Tennis Thread

Woodsinho

• 4 months later...

Forget Euro 2012...

Lukas Rosol. Where did that come from? I was convinced that he'd get steamrolled by Nadal after losing that first tie break. I was convinced he'd get steamrolled by Nadal when Nadal won the 4th set and they had to wait for the roof to close before playing the 5th. He showed nerves of steel serving out the match with those aces, it was incredible.

Didn't see the match, but heard he was unreal. I love a story like this. I hope he keeps up his form and does well in the rest of the tournament. I love a good "against all odds" story. Much like the film Wimbledon, starring the delightfully English Paul Bettany and Snaggletooth.

I watched the first set before the football started then looked an hour or so later to see him wrap up the 3rd set to go 2-1 up. I can't remember seeing Nadal overpowered in a match (by someone not called Djokovic, anyway) but in the 5th set he couldn't get a racquet close to the shots Rosol was firing back to him. I kept expecting him to crack under the pressure at the start of every game, being only his second ever tournament match on a grass court playing against one of the best tenniseers of all time and all, but he never did, if anything he got stronger as the set went on. It was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mP2g4JhfE

• 2 months later...