aberdeen-music

Meryl Streep to play Thatcher in "The Iron Lady"

Lemonade

That's pretty good casting i would say. can't imagine anyone better, but that photo is kind of creepy...

There are things of Thatcher i don't agree with but i don't understand why she was SO bad, anyone want to enlighten me? This is all before my time, so i only ever get opinion views...

can_of_worms.jpg

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Dave.... ;) Privatising everything and allowing British industry to be undercut by cheaper foreign alternatives and costing millions of UK jobs, closing the mines, opposing the trade unions, leading us into one of the most one-sided wars in history in a wave of patriotism to detract from the recession she'd got us into, introducing the poll tax, .... and getting rid of free milk for primary school children!

Now from what i understand (really need to stress i'm not taking her side here!) surely the mines were going to close and that was the burden anyone in power was going to have to take upon themselves and isn't really exclusively her fault? She had a shit situation in her hands she needed to sort out where companies were being subsidised and the government was only losing money and she had to choose whether to throw away money or deal with unemployment? the privatising of unions, have to agree there that's pretty shit. The milk snatcher thing makes me laugh, i survived with out it. I thought the recession was already in full swing by the time she got there? and poll tax, well yeah fuck poll tax. Again not taking her side! just never really understood.

I'm no expert either, I was just a kid in the 80s, really I'm just rehashing bits of lefty propaganda I've come across to see who I can wind up ;)

She stole the milk !!

To be fair to Thatcher some of what she did she had to the previous Labour government had left the country in a mess, however she did oversee a complete decimation of the manufacturing base of the counry and a series of privatisation deals that cerainly havent helped the industries etc - all of that is still open to interpretation as to how much could be avoided. She also liked to use Scotland as guinea pigs ie poll tax. Anyway best bet is cehck out her wiki page for more information then make your own mind up, but if you were London based you might well rate her as excellent, but if you worked in the shipyards of Govan etc you might think otherwise.

I don't see what in particular Thatcher has done to be vilified so much either. From what I know/hear of her she was a good prime minister, though by talking about her in a left leaning messageboard, I'm pissing into the wind here.

Also, a lot of people like to make jokes about her and slag her off as some evil bitch but when you question said people on what exactly she did wrong, they will very sparsely come back with any facts, just snippets of leftist theory (at best) and stuff they've heard comedians like that cunt Elton say.

Never mind Meryl Streep, I can't wait to see Richard E. Grant as Michael Heseltine! Anthony Head is playing Geoffrey Howe, apparently. No word yet as to who's playing Archer and Tebbit, I could see Shane Ritchie and Gary Oldman doing a fine job though.

This was not as entertaining an entrance into this thread as I had hoped for from you...

At the risk of oversimpifying, the reason Thatcher is so unpopular in Scotland has a lot to do with what was perceived as her war against the poor/working classes (see mining, Trade Unions, milk etc), and you cannot underestimate the hatred resulting from the poll tax (she decided to trial run it in Scotland). Also, let's not forget the horror that was yuppies.

You could also say that, being a Tory PM, she was almost completely unrepresentative of the views and wishes of the Scottish electorate, not to mention the nonsense in the Falklands. I'm trying very hard not to get all "I fucking hate Thatcher, she was everything that is horrible about little Britishness, snobbery and unbridled capitalism" about things.

It's perhaps telling that lots of us keep a beady eye on Is Margaret Thatcher Dead Yet?

I would also say a lot of her policies helped to create the "me, me, me" attitude that we have now that has lead imo to a selfish attitude that has caused a lot of social problems that we have nowadays. The 80's under Thatcher were a selfish decade and I think that the children of that decade being the grown ups of today is a lot of the reason why we have such a selfish and greedy attitude. I'm not saying this wouldnt have happened anyway, it could be argued people are inherently selfish and greedy but the 80's policies encouraged, to a degree, that type of attitude. As I said previousdly a great Prime minister if you lived in the south, not so much for the North.