aberdeen-music

The religion debate thread

ZeromiserY

First it's worth clarifying that being open to the idea of a generic 'grand architect' and being agnostic from the point of view of a specific religion are massively different. Whether there's a god or not, all the major religions could be (are, IMHO) utter nonsense fabricated by wealthy people, to control stupider people.

Furthermore, the fact that we can't explain how life was formed means absolutely nothing. If the universe was spawned with ANY set of rules, enough time, chemical reations and genetic mutations and iterations would be very likely to eventually create some form of sentient life.

Infinite monkeys and typewriters...

xx

Well, I don't believe in a personal God, or religion, though I acknowledge it can be a useful force for 'social cohesion' or whatever horrible terminology they use these days. Or a way to be ultra cunty to a population to keep them in line. I'm moot on that one.

However, there are certain preconditions to sentient life evolving and the four fundamental forces underpin it all. What if a universe couldn't produce carbon or hydrogen atoms? Or even atoms? True, it might throw up some kind of bizarro lifeforms that we can't comprehend or it could just be a sea of chaos from our perspective.

What about the the big crunch theory, where the universe collapses in on itself into a single point and initiates another big bang. We could be in goldilocks universe where the rules are just right. :)

For what it's worth I would put myself as a 3 on the Dawkins scale.

I haven't seen anyone mention scientology yet...

If you were a fan of the god delusion I'm certain you'd be a fan of this:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Bill Maher's Religulous

I'm watching "Jesus camp" as we speak and if I didn't think religion could be harmful before then I certainly would think so now. If you've seen it, the scene in the bowling alley anyone? When the little girl prays for a strike then tells a random woman that the lord told her to approach her and tell her that has special plans for her. That in itself is creepy enough but when her dad says to her "way to be obedient rachel" made me want to puke.

First it's worth clarifying that being open to the idea of a generic 'grand architect' and being agnostic from the point of view of a specific religion are massively different. Whether there's a god or not, all the major religions could be (are, IMHO) utter nonsense fabricated by wealthy people, to control stupider people.

Furthermore, the fact that we can't explain how life was formed means absolutely nothing. If the universe was spawned with ANY set of rules, enough time, chemical reactions and genetic mutations and iterations would be very likely to eventually create some form of sentient life.Infinite monkeys and typewriters...

xx

Your point definitely precludes the existence of a creator/architect, but the reasoning must be wrong somehow, who/what created the chemicals, genes, time, the universe, for that matter, matter/anti-matter, even the big bang or nothingness/emptyspace....everything/anything ?

These things didn't just appear on their own!

an analogy :

Take all the components for a watch (or a typewriter), place them in a bucket, stir them for (any length of time) 1000 or so years...... and they STILL would not assemble of transform into a working watch/typewriter...... there HAS to be some kind of creator... imho

God/Creator is a mind-fuck.... so don't fuck up your mind worrying about it ! :laughing:

Your point definitely precludes the existence of a creator/architect, but the reasoning must be wrong somehow, who/what created the chemicals, genes, time, the universe, for that matter, matter/anti-matter, even the big bang or nothingness/emptyspace....everything/anything ?

an analogy :

Take all the components for a watch (or a typewriter), place them in a bucket, stir them for (any length of time) 1000 or so years...... and they STILL would not assemble of transform into a working watch/typewriter...... there HAS to be some kind of creator... imho

God/Creator is a mind-fuck.... so don't fuck up your mind worrying about it ! :laughing:

That would be okay if the universe was as simple as a watch in a bucket.

Our whole universe could be inside some gigantic beings big bucket !! who knows?

...but then..... who created that being, and his universe, and then who...... ad infinitum !

I have a friend who has this theory that our galaxy is just an atom. I think it was flourine but that is beside the point.

I'm getting near the end if this Jesus camp movie and it is truly frightening and sickening.

This begs the question: who/what created the creator?

I found this link, worth a read. Maybe spark up a big fat bifta first though.

Origin of the Universe (Hawking speech)

Also, the Panorama documentaries on scientology are worth watching too. They are a scary bunch. o_O

God/Creator is a mind-fuck.... so don't fuck up your mind worrying about it !

True! :)

After reading through some of the above links I started thinking that religion might be easier to understand. I then attempted Hinduism for about fifteen minutes and now I'm just all messed up. I'm just going to stick to football for a while. Laterz.

i find football just as hard to understand but each to their own! its a religion in itself to some

To quote George James Allman in an address to the 1873 annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science:

"No physical hypothesis founded on any indisputable fact has yet explained the origin of the primordial protoplasm, and, above all, of its marvelous properties, which render evolution possible in heredity and in adaptability, for these properties are the cause and not the effect of evolution. For the cause of this cause, we have sought in vain among the physical forces which surround us, until we are at last compelled to rest upon an independent volition, a far-seeing intelligent design"

(for me intelligent design, means "Creator" (not necessarily the religious view of God)).......

I can put my name to that..... :up:

Would people be more likely to believe in God if we found out it/he wasn't sentient?

Imagine God as some kind of Universe creating machine, kind of like a photocopier spewing out universes because that's all it can do.

Create Universe, Uncreate Universe, Create Universe, Uncreate Universe.

If only science could prove God was a non-sentient creation machine I think people would have no need to 'worship' it/him.

.... after all, you don't worship your photocopier.

Would people be more likely to believe in God if we found out it/he wasn't sentient?

Imagine God as some kind of Universe creating machine, kind of like a photocopier spewing out universes because that's all it can do.

Create Universe, Uncreate Universe, Create Universe, Uncreate Universe.

If only science could prove God was a non-sentient creation machine I think people would have no need to 'worship' it/him.

.... after all, you don't worship your photocopier.

That's an interesting thought!

Although I do worship my photocopier....when it works.