aberdeen-music

Maths - Jairus - The Ocean Fracture - Carson Wells | Tunnels 2 | 7 April 2010

Huw

That was a good larf. Biggest thanks to Dallas and Jarvis for putting the bands up and Dave for basically doing everything while I ran around a lot and achieved nothing. Very decent of them.

Jairus were awesome - the new song is prolly the best thing they've written to date - more of that plz. Adam's voice can even made chugga chugga breakdowns sound acceptable. The clean guitars were lovely as well. Looking forward to hearing more.

Maths were alright - pretty screamo by numbers though - lots of octaves, singer ending up all emotional on the floor (which he has done all 3 times i've seen them). The stuff from the split was awesome, the new stuff is a bit bland though. Forgot how loud they played and how hard Alfie can hit them drums for a wee guy. Just all a bit samey. SUPER nice chaps though.

The Ocean Fracture are ok. Some good parts and they ceertainly know how to write a tune, but not so enamoured by the vocals these days. I think that was most peoples main gripe and the fact that they seem to care tonnes about stage presence/the way the look etc.

Thanks for the compliments. It's nice when people seem to like what you're doing. New song got a bit messy, but went ok.

Jairus were absolutely amazing. The drum sound was beasting!!

Maths were pretty ace.

The Ocean Fracture were good, until the guy put down his guitar and jsut did vocals. After that I got bored. Their guitar tone was terrible.

Carson Wells were superb! Great guitar playing in particular!!

I only saw Carson Wells. I liked when you all shouted at the same time. Do more of that. I liked the new one. Huw's hair was sitting nice too - have you had it styled recently?
Huw has a really fucking bent haircut

Agree about the shouting at the same time!

Carson Wells were a wonder to behold. New song is dead good. Maths I liked, and their big train of a performance ended just at the right moment. Totally knackering to pay consistent, due attention to.

I didn't catch all of Jarius, but they seemed pleasant. The Ocean Fracture were a supremely pish IMO.

LOUD. Good job Huw, Dave and Scott). Appreciated.

I thought they were good as well. Nice guys too.

Yeah Sean, the drummer, is a top bloke. I just think the other dudes believe their own hype just a tad. I suppose it's real good to be confident, but I just can't get into it for that very reason. Sean is a great drummer too. In fact their all good musicians. Prolly the best finger played bass tone i've ever heard. Can't think of any other as good anyway.

That was probably the best I've seen Carson Wells, it was a stone groove.

I can't say that I enjoyed The Ocean Fracture at all, despite the bouncy nature of the bass player. The guitar tone was a bit bum.

I did enjoy Maths, a bit one dimensional but good none the less. I had to leave before the end of Jairus' set, but they too were right good.

Great gig.

Highlights: the best Carson Wells performance I've seen, Ross' onstage chat ("yiz are in for a treat!"), and an enlightening conversation with Jan and Jarvis about whether being short is a valid excuse for being a cunt.

Low points: The Ocean Fracture's waistcoats.