aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Main Agent

Chumbawumba

that LP was about the 5th one they relased...

the first LP (pictures of starving children sell records was in 1986)

the one you are talking aobut is "anarchy" released in 1998...

I always thought they were shite...ho ho

e22320v60jy.jpg

Pass it along.

Any thoughts? Anybody?

Seminal anarcho-punk band. Their first two full lengths - Pictures Of Starving Children... and Never Mind The Ballots are certainly two of the most important anarcho releases ever. Only Crass were better. Unfortunately, while I admire their still strong committment to anarchist politics, I did not agree with their jump to EMI - a move that rather conflicted with their views regarding poilitical outfits affiliation with majors labels.

Saw them in the Barrowlands with Fugazi, I think in 90/91. The anarcho-punk relevance of mincing about in tights with an umbrella was somewhat lost on me, I'm afraid. Then saw them a few years later in the Lemon Tree, but only really remember being slightly impressed at some of the harmonies, no more.

Not my cup of tea. Although I only like herbal tea, because...(wait for it)

Proper Tea Is Theft.

Get in! *punches air*

Saw them in the Barrowlands with Fugazi' date=' I think in 90/91. The anarcho-punk relevance of mincing about in tights with an umbrella was somewhat lost on me, I'm afraid. Then saw them a few years later in the Lemon Tree, but only really remember being slightly impressed at some of the harmonies, no more.

Not my cup of tea. Although I only like herbal tea, because...(wait for it)

Proper Tea Is Theft.

Get in! *punches air*

Their use of theatre (in putting political points) was always an important part of their stage act. Yeah, I caught them twice in London - at the Shepherds Bush Empire in 1994 with Back To The Planet, and again at a TUC sponsored anti-racist fest in 1996 in Finsbury Park.

A couple of my friends saw that Lemon Tree show.

Not my cup of tea. Although I only like herbal tea' date=' because...(wait for it)

Proper Tea Is Theft.

Get in! *punches air*

Someone get this man a drink.....well played sir, well played.

I was at the Lemon Tree gig, too, and still have a couple of early albums. I also bought "Readymades", where they use lots of traditional folk samples, and enjoy it, despite the reviews.

Anyone wanna check out their website, here it is: http://www.chumba.com

And check out their 10" English Rebel Songs. A quite beautiful album, documenting protest songs through the ages. No instrumentation is used.

that LP was about the 5th one they relased...

the first LP (pictures of starving children sell records was in 1986)

the one you are talking aobut is "anarchy" released in 1998...

I always thought they were shite...ho ho

e22320v60jy.jpg

That is possibly the most disturbing album cover I've ever seen. Don't think I'll be having a kebab tonight :puke:

That is possibly the most disturbing album cover I've ever seen. Don't think I'll be having a kebab tonight :puke:

Dont look at any Carcass covers then...

A woman giving birth disturbing?