aberdeen-music

Wanted : Fender American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass Natural - Maple fretboard

Azzurro

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my mate's back from U.S..

Mentioned it to him, (Sit down now, please).

His is a 73. Ex condition for year, Natural, R/W board c/w blocks,Lollar P.U.'s.Chrome Bridge & P.U. covers Intact. Re fretted 5 Years ago.

He, MIGHT sell, & would accept, 2000.00. Currently going for $4000.00 Approx in U.S.

Sounds like a Jap or Mexican option is the answer?

With respect, don't get the Squier - it might look the part but you get what you pay for and the neck isn't up to much in terms of quality.

Azzuro - how much are you looking to throw out for this particular type of Jazz? You're not gonna get a lot of change out of a grand for even a second hand one on ebay.

I would go with whoever recommended the Jap Jazz - even better selection of colours and necks, and the build quality is superb.

I'm considering getting rid of one of my basses and replacing it with a sunburst/maple neck/pearloid blocks from these characters:

Fender Japan Stratocaster Telecaster Bass - UK

I already have a Mexi 70's Classic Jazz and have fallen in love with the neck so much, the other guitars rarely get played now.

If you're desperate for a natural Jazz with maple neck/black blocks, and are doing it within a budget, my only advice would be to buy a Geddy Lee Jazz (about 700 quid and comes with the Badass) and get the body stripped and re-finished.

There. I need to get out more.

With respect dude the neck issues[high frets] are reasonably easy fixed.What do you expect for under 300,this bass has been voted as best value for money in bass player magazine.I have sold 4 of those basses and bought one for myself,i spent a day stoning the frets then adjusting the trussrod,and the bass plays beautifully.I found the duncan design pick ups too bright so i put on Bartolini's[90ish].If you want a decent 70's style bass on a budget and are willing to spent a little extra on upgrades the Squier is a great choice. :D

Hmmm, well agree to disagree. If youre happy with what youve got then fair play to you and crack on. But, IMO if youre having to shell out a couple of hundred to put right the things that are wrong with it, then youre as well sticking a few hundred on top of that and just getting a better bass.

Its a bit like seeing a Ford Focus bashing up and down the Bully with an extensive body kit and LED lights under the chassis. Probably a much better performer but at the end of the day its still a Focus and with the amount of cash and time thrown out on it, you could have just got a better car.

When I was shopping for my Jazz, I played a few of these as I thought it would be an inexpensive answer to my prayers but ultimately the neck isnt up to it when compared to the real thing. The only Squier that came near was the Classic Vibe actually the Vibe was a damn good bass straight out of the box.

The other problem for me is the mismatch in wood colour between the neck and the body. The body has a clear polyurethane finish, the neck is a Satin finish. So, for me, the matt/gloss thing clashes.

So, youd have to: Sort out the frets, laquer the neck to match the body, probably replace the pickups, replace the P Bass control knobs with Jazz ones. You could do it for around five hundred maybe. You could still get a Geddy for a couple of hundred more and the necks on those have an awsome reputation.

If you were to do it all yourself though, it would cost a lot less, and youd learn a hell of a lot at the same time about guitars.

Horses for courses though.

Lol you totally missed the point,my 1500 60th anniversary american v deluxe had high frets out of the factory too.I chose to replace the pick ups,i like the chrome pots so i wouldn't change them.Mexicans have the same deal with matt necks.I have no issues with any mismatch.....maybe i'm luckyFor an exra 150 and a little time that all maple bass turned in to a fantastic instrument.....but like you said horses for courses.

jazz

+1 for the USA option. Friend has a nat/maple '75 RI he got s/h for 850 and it is the best thing I have ever heard in a Jazz - and I have had 'em all the way back to '68. Easily whacks a Mexico - and i hvae had 4. Easily whacks a Japan - and I have had 3 + 2 old Tokais. Maybe he was lucky with his, but even so - still worth the search in case that it is, in fact, the standard sound they are turning out.

Hi, my mate's back from U.S..

Mentioned it to him, (Sit down now, please).

His is a 73. Ex condition for year, Natural, R/W board c/w blocks,Lollar P.U.'s.Chrome Bridge & P.U. covers Intact. Re fretted 5 Years ago.

He, MIGHT sell, & would accept, 2000.00. Currently going for $4000.00 Approx in U.S.

Sounds like a Jap or Mexican option is the answer?

I think it's a re-issue that the origianl poster is after :

Fender 1975 Usa Reissue Jazz Bass London London guitars guitar amps for sale

........if your mates 73 is a four bolt neck I might be interested ??

Lol you totally missed the point,my 1500 60th anniversary american v deluxe had high frets out of the factory too.I chose to replace the pick ups,i like the chrome pots so i wouldn't change them.Mexicans have the same deal with matt necks.I have no issues with any mismatch.....maybe i'm luckyFor an exra 150 and a little time that all maple bass turned in to a fantastic instrument.....but like you said horses for courses.

Think you may not have actually read my last response as it addresses your points and added one or two more; and Azzuro (though I don't know him/her) does seem to care enough about getting a specific model of bass to mention it by name.

Your point about the 60th aniversary is a moot one; all factories produce lemons from time to time so insinuating that there will be a risk of a lemon on a 75RI is pointless - its the same risk with any bass but generally speaking the odds will still be substantially lower with a higher end bass.

Going back to the Squiers, I played two of them in different shops and one at Stow College. I wasn't impressed with any of them.

The Mexican Standards do have the satin finish on the back - and dot markers on the front. The 70's Classic however has a poly finish on the back, and is produced in Mexico. So what's your point? Neither will be Azzuro's preference I expect but the 70's Classic would be the nearest 'compromise' under the 600 mark. FWIW - the frets were fine straight out the box.

Also I'm working under the assumption that Azzuro is not consumately skilled in the art of fret stoning as you are - therefore that's an added cost in terms of labour - currently a hundred quid or therabouts in Glasgow. Unless you're offering the service for a substanially reduced rate? You like the P bass knobs - you seem to have missed my point again - If Azzuro is after a 75RI then P bass knobs probably aren't part of that vibe and would need to be changed. That however would cost less than a fiver.

As I said, if he/she learned all the requisite skills, then it could be a pretty rewarding experience. I however am a lazy sod and would just buy a better model made from nicer wood.

Easy tiger,the 60th anniversary is no 'lemon',it just had a high fret.Most new instruments go through a period of settling in,mine developed a high fret which only became noticeable when i lowered the action considerably.As for fret stoning,i'm no luthier....i just had a go and it worked.The 5 string i took to Martin Peterson@The Gallery.I love my squier you and hate them...it's all good. p.s the other 4 peeps that have one love theirs too...i was only offering a possible alternative.:up:

Easy tiger,the 60th anniversary is no 'lemon',it just had a high fret.Most new instruments go through a period of settling in,mine developed a high fret which only became noticeable when i lowered the action considerably.As for fret stoning,i'm no luthier....i just had a go and it worked.The 5 string i took to Martin Peterson@The Gallery.I love my squier you and hate them...it's all good. p.s the other 4 peeps that have one love theirs too...i was only offering a possible alternative.:up:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate them - Warwicks I hate, don't get me started on Warwicks. I just think there's things that could have been done at the R&D stage which would've made it a better bass straight off. The Indonesians seemed to have learned this though as the Classic Vibe Jazz is a shit hot bass for the money and much improved on anything they did earlier. If only they'd based it on a seventies rather than a sixties model. And you got a choice of finishes.

Ultimately though its up to Azzuro as we're already both Jazz'ed up.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate them - Warwicks I hate, don't get me started on Warwicks. I just think there's things that could have been done at the R&D stage which would've made it a better bass straight off. The Indonesians seemed to have learned this though as the Classic Vibe Jazz is a shit hot bass for the money and much improved on anything they did earlier. If only they'd based it on a seventies rather than a sixties model. And you got a choice of finishes.

Ultimately though its up to Azzuro as we're already both Jazz'ed up.

Hahaha Yeah man agreed....i hate Warwick...eeeeeuk.I have a nice Yammy BBN5A tho.

Exactly the same as the Nathan East,only it doesn't have his signature,360 off e bay.My mate in the states bought the same one for 450 + shipping..lovely jubblies!