aberdeen-music

innovation in aberdeen

Cloud

Guest Ibid

It's certainly possible for home recordng these days to get somewhere. However, it has to be of the required quality to stand a snowball's chance in Hell, unless you go for the lo fi market. I have a stack of CDs on my desk that are of great songs and music (and some of it very innovative too) but all are let down by the fact that home recordists either don't know how to master or lack the right equipment. Good mastering requires expensive equipment and knowledge-the pre master EQ pre sets in cool edit or similar ain't up to the job, anyone in the industry will tell you that. It's worth sending recordings to be mastered properly for two reasons: 1. An expert will always do a better job. 2. You should never master your own recordings, you're too close to it. You need an objective pair of ears and trained ears at that.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripey
It's certainly possible for home recordng these days to get somewhere. However' date=' it has to be of the required quality to stand a snowball's chance in Hell, unless you go for the lo fi market. I have a stack of CDs on my desk that are of great songs and music (and some of it very innovative too) but all are let down by the fact that home recordists either don't know how to master or lack the right equipment. Good mastering requires expensive equipment and knowledge-the pre master EQ pre sets in cool edit or similar ain't up to the job, anyone in the industry will tell you that. It's worth sending recordings to be mastered properly for two reasons: 1. An expert will always do a better job. 2. You should never master your own recordings, you're too close to it. You need an objective pair of ears and trained ears at that.[/quote']

I use yamaha multiband mastering compressor/limiter, sometimes the Akai one because it has 4 bands instead of 3 like the yamaha. They are professional quality fully tweakable compressors and I do know how to use them, It's not just preprogrammed presets. They are also perfectly adequate for making mp3's or the odd CD-R demo - but I agree, I would always send a label a copy with no FX atall on the master bus and let them do the engineering.

EDIT> this is beside the point anyway.

Some good and bad points in this discussion (in my opinion) - Once again, my main criticism of Aberdeen bands is that they only tend to play in Aberdeen - being either too young, have a lack of transport (or the cash/licence to obtain) or the sheer gumption to venture further afield. In my opinion and experience anybody who is serious about making music should try and get out of their hometown as soon as possible and do as many gigs in as many other places as possible.

However, I do object to the comment

"aberdeen is mostly populated with dim-witted intellectually crippled scottish people who don't have the mental capacity to think for themselves, letalone genuinely create. It's a shithole, and the majority of people are too far up their own arses and too busy patting themselves on the back to realise that their cliquey little scene, replete with a troope of the same old sychophantic schoolkids cheering them on, is a fucking joke in the context of the wider world."

Stripey, I'd be interested to know which other cities' music scene's you have encountered - not just via recorded music, but actually going to see bands. No matter where you are - be it Aberdeen, Bristol, London or Milton Keynes, the standard of the majority of local bands, of whatever genre, is going to range from poor to mediocre, and there will be the same cliquey feel to the scene that you object to in Aberdeen. However everyone starts out rubbish. Musical talent combined with lots of gig experience will polish the bands who have the will and the ability to make it - those who have neither will eventually split up - possibly forming newer bands, and the process continues again.

If your opinion of the Aberdeen music scene is so low, a few questions are raised:

1) When is YOUR next gig - I'm sure the more open-minded members of this board would come along and give you constructive criticism

2) If your opinion of Aberdeen in general is really what I've quoted above, why are you bothering posting on this website, and why are you still living here. Surely you'd be better off in somewhere with a music scene more suited to your tastes. (although, as I've already said, I think you'll find that deep down they are all the same, but cities with more people tend to have more good acts - it's all to do with percentages.)

Regards

Flossie

Guest Stripey

If your opinion of the Aberdeen music scene is so low' date=' a few questions are raised:

1) When is YOUR next gig - I'm sure the more open-minded members of this board would come along and give you constructive criticism

2) If your opinion of Aberdeen in general is really what I've quoted above, why are you bothering posting on this website, and why are you still living here. Surely you'd be better off in somewhere with a music scene more suited to your tastes. (although, as I've already said, I think you'll find that deep down they are all the same, but cities with more people tend to have more good acts - it's all to do with percentages.)

Regards

Flossie[/quote']

1). I don't gig, I don't have a live act, and never will.

2). Believe me, I am getting out of aberdeen as soon as circumstances permit.The music scene I like is on the internet, comprises of people from all over the globe doing all kinds of stuff, and incidentally it is nothing like this website, it has nothing to do with mp3.com or soundclick.com or other daft commercial interests that exploit people who aren't fully internet literate i. I'm not going to explain because it's something you have to see for yourself.

I post on this site because I live here, and I write and like music, and it amuses me to see what's going on locally, simple as that.

Oh yeah, and I stand by what I said about the people of the north east scotland, save for a handful of exceptions.

Guest stuartmaxwell

innovation doesnt necessarily mean good

and i seem to get the impression from stripeys posts that anything with a guitar cant be called innovative, which is pretty off the mark

has stripey visited any of the interesting music nights??hey may *shock* find something he likes

as for kathryn sawers, i regard her values and music very high, two fingers indeed

Guest Stripey
innovation doesnt necessarily mean good

and i seem to get the impression from stripeys posts that anything with a guitar cant be called innovative' date=' which is pretty off the mark

has stripey visited any of the interesting music nights??hey may *shock* find something he likes

as for kathryn sawers, i regard her values and music very high, two fingers indeed[/quote']

Nah I don't write off anything with guitars, I just don't like the boring way in which people tend to use them.

Guest Stripey
I would like to know this too:)

I have heard all the stuff on the AUBL site. Most of the tunes I listened to for about 30 seconds before deleting them, there were a couple which I listened to the whole way through, and 1 or 2 which I listened to twice. They all got deleted in the end.

Also heard a few other bits and bobs which aren't on aubl downloads section, but it was much the same story.

I've only seen one band live. Didn't really do much for me and I didn't enjoy the atmosphere in the venue.

Guest stuartmaxwell

well that says a lot, the fact that you will judge amateur acts on the basis of their (99% of the time) shoddy recording

perhaps if you went to more shows you may like some stuff

i do urge you to go to interesting music nights, you may find something there

has stripey visited any of the interesting music nights??hey may *shock* find something he likes as for kathryn sawers' date=' i regard her values and music very high, two fingers indeed[/quote']

and imp have a new event featuring Colditz etc etc, come along & slag it/us off!!!!!

At least sripey has defended his line right or wrong, who knows, but it has caused a very lively debate.

As far as Kathryn Sawers is concerned, she does it her way & i/we applaud her for that. When the times right for her, she will know.

Too late ;) I'm listening to "seasoning" now in it's entirety.

Only heard the first few tracks' date=' but it's quite good, reminds me of dougie mcclean, but a bit more spacey and bit more psychedelic influenced maybe... will you be going to the stonehaven folk festival?[/quote']

Eeek!!.....I really don't like Dougie McClean....now you've got me disliking my own music!!!

I won't be at the Stonehaven Folk Festival this year.......there wasn't anybody I was desperate to see. The last time I went it was to see Martin Carthy and Norma Waterson...and they both seemed to rate the local music scene very highly.

Kitchen Cynics............................................hame drunk came I.............................

I have heard all the stuff on the AUBL site. Most of the tunes I listened to for about 30 seconds before deleting them' date=' there were a couple which I listened to the whole way through, and 1 or 2 which I listened to twice. They all got deleted in the end.

Also heard a few other bits and bobs which aren't on aubl downloads section, but it was much the same story.

I've only seen one band live. Didn't really do much for me and I didn't enjoy the atmosphere in the venue.[/quote']

This is what you base your theories on music created in Aberdeen is it? How could you possibly form a viable theory with such a small sample size.

Maybe you should wait until you've heard some more before you try to say that there's nothing worth listening to (which is different to innovative anyway).

Don't hold your breath though because "aberdeen is mostly populated with dim-witted intellectually crippled scottish people who don't have the mental capacity to think for themselves" so someone will have to show everyone how to upload their tunes for you.

Thanks for pointing out that most Aberdonians are Scottish as well, I've been trying to place the accent.

i downloaded a track of his website' date=' it is very good "entheogen", i like a it a lot[/quote']

from Stripey's site? yeah i like that track too, reminds me of a track off Aphex Twin's Ambient Works album, so do a couple of the others....Offworlder is really good too....although i'd love to hear some hard/dark/dirty (more dancefloor orientated) drum n bass from him ... ;)

shaz

Guest Ibid

Aphex twin sprang to mind for that track of Stripey's to my ears too. Although I hope you haven't used your multiband on it, stripey, cos' the dynamics are a bit crook, although you may have intended it to be that way. Radio wouldn't have it that way and it's wrong for CD too, but you probably know that and I'm sure you could fix it easily enough.

A goodly track though.

Praise from me!!!!! Steady on! Mind you I'm not from Aberdeen or do you hate Glaswegians too? I'm joking of course.

Guest Stripey
Aye Stripey' date=' have ya been to see "aka the fox"???

I reckon you would find them remarkably refreshing for an aberdeed band,

:):D:):up:[/quote']

Yea I've heard about them on here but not been to any of their gigs..if only more people put stuff online!

Guest Stripey
Eeek!!.....I really don't like Dougie McClean....now you've got me disliking my own music!!!

I really enjoyed bits of it, you've certainly got quite a talent for writing lyrics.

Guest Stripey
stripey i reckon you can only judge a band after seeing them live.

I'm not really into live bands...if they are any good surely their recordings ought to reflect that?

I'm not really into live bands...if they are any good surely their recordings ought to reflect that?

Not really.

Not all bands have a good knowledge of recording techniques... not all bands can afford the equipment/studio time... thus can only really do their thing live.

I think live performance is the true test of skill... in recordings you can always re-do everything and anything, you don't have to have presence or the abilility to play under pressure.

Live bands always get far more respect from me.

I'd like to also add... that live acts have to spend far more time practising in order to achieve a tight sound (if that is infact what they are after) this takes a lot of work... trust me.

I'm siding with Stripey here again............................live bands can be great entertainment (and quite the reverse, too!), but great music is often produced by non-live acts, whether they are too nervous to be in front of a baying crowd, or utilise equipment which isn't suited to a live situation.

Kitchen Cynics..........consistent !!--crap live and crap in a home studio.............