aberdeen-music

The worst thing i have ever heard/seen

noisecorechris

Just to put in my tuppence worth, I really like 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' but am not that into 'Yeezus'. I quite like a few of the tracks, 'Black Skinhead' and 'Blood on the Leaves', also 'I Am a God' is a bit of a tune and anyone rapping about croissants will make me smile, but it's not anywhere near to being on my End of Year list.

I'm somewhat in the same boat as Stroops and Teabags. Although I completely defend anyone's right to like any artist/album/track without having to justify their reasons, I just can't understand why Kanye West is not only very popular, but considered really good at what he does.

I've been very consistent in my dislike of the man and his musical output. I'd go as far as saying I think his existence as a pop culture figure is actually toxic. I can't think of a single other example of an artist who is so widely regarded as being great, yet i'm still baffled as to why. As Teabags said, most pieces of music, however shit, you can pick out something that makes you understand why someone would like it. With Kanye West, there's clearly something I'm just not getting.  

I'm simplifying of course, but culturally speaking, I 'get' the fact that when he came along he was perhaps one of the first mainstream hip hop artists to completely shun the macho 'thug' culture and made way for black guys to express themselves in new ways in terms of fashion, entrepeneurship, identity, etc. But, that aside his music just makes me wince. On top of that, he's become this delusional jesus complex figure who champions egotism, individualism and greed. I think that's actually dangerous given his status.

To satisfy my curiosity, I'm going to go against what Ive said earlier on here and listen to one of his albums today in its entirety. I really think i'm missing something and want to figure out what it is.

• Upvote 3

I'm somewhat in the same boat as Stroops and Teabags. Although I completely defend anyone's right to like any artist/album/track without having to justify their reasons, I just can't understand why Kanye West is not only very popular, but considered really good at what he does.

I've been very consistent in my dislike of the man and his musical output. I'd go as far as saying I think his existence as a pop culture figure is actually toxic. I can't think of a single other example of an artist who is so widely regarded as being great, yet i'm still baffled as to why. As Teabags said, most pieces of music, however shit, you can pick out something that makes you understand why someone would like it. With Kanye West, there's clearly something I'm just not getting.  

I'm simplifying of course, but culturally speaking, I 'get' the fact that when he came along he was perhaps one of the first mainstream hip hop artists to completely shun the macho 'thug' culture and made way for black guys to express themselves in new ways in terms of fashion, entrepeneurship, identity, etc. But, that aside his music just makes me wince. On top of that, he's become this delusional jesus complex figure who champions egotism, individualism and greed. I think that's actually dangerous given his status.

To satisfy my curiosity, I'm going to go against what Ive said earlier on here and listen to one of his albums today in its entirety. I really think i'm missing something and want to figure out what it is.

This is what I meant, said in much better words.

However, you can sook a shite if you think I''m going to listen to an entire album.

• Upvote 1

I'll also be the first to admit that I can guarantee there's albums I really like that people will think are nothing but a horrible fucking noise.

Give us an example

Edit: I think you're probably right. A lot of noisy stuff I don't understand why anyone would listen to it but I always just assume people like it because a) the primal aggression is satisfying and b) there's a high technical merit to it. I struggle to pick out the musicality of it sometimes but I just put that down to me not knowing enough about the genre(s) and me saying it's shite is the same as someone saying rap is all 'yo yo, imma bust a cap in yo ass' pish *insert cringey hand movements'

Edited by ca_gere
  • Upvote 1

There has to be better examples than that?

first one is way more than just an onslaught of noise. There's clear chords, you can hear the vocalist and the drums pretty nicely. Not completely my cup of tea but I totally get why someone would like it. Second one is noise in the genre sense but not in the pejorative sense - there's clear artistic merit to it (although I happen to like some 'noise' stuff - the deconstructive/wanky side of it appeals to my inner chin-stroker and the 'found' aspect of a lot of the sounds they use is interesting).

Give me an example of something of the thrash genre (or whatever the first one is) that you consider garbage. It'd be interesting to see if I can pick out why.

oh shit... I quite enjoyed that.

Sounds like something i'd hear in a hipster backyard party in Williamsburg. Google image results confirm this.

That's exactly where they would. And I detest them. They're god awful. I told the drummer that, not knowing he was the drummer. Woops. He designs awesome posters though.

I'd say lyrics are reasonably important (though probably a minority of the music I listen to actually has lyrics/vocals). I can dig vapid but catchy pop or cock metal but it's not going to be my favourite. With regards to personality, politics, morality or criminality affecting my opinion of music, I would say to a large extent, no; but again my favourite artist/tracks/albums would be ones that are are to some extent personally affecting. I might draw the line at blasting some extreme right wing political music, but it's not something I'm going to come across in the first place. As a bit of an experiment, I just listened to shinobi vs dragon ninja, and not feel any anguish. I'm a bit wary when I dabble in dancehall or similar in case I happen to be nodding along to some homophobic torture fantasy, but barely understanding half the words complicates things a bit.

Regards West, I liked College Dropout and thought We Don't Care at least was lyrically sophisticated but agree the more recent god-complex stuff is bafflingly rank. Hardly seems like they could be written by the same guy.

Edited by scottyboy

Thinking it through a bit more it depends on the context and whether the content of the song has anything to do with it. I wouldn't have a problem listening to a child rapist's song about fictional ninjas but I wouldn't listen to a track promoting rape. Politically I could listen to stuff I disagreed with up to certain extremes. I can listen to gospel or devotional Indian classical or Kanye West's Jesus Walks, even recognising it as quite powerful, while wholeheartedly disagreeing with the sentiment that whatever God(s) is real and awesome.

Jesus Walks is a good example of Kanye lyrics I like.

You're just old man, like all those squares in the sixties who didn't 'get' the Beatles.

Fair play to you though if you are going to listen to one of his albums even though you dislike him so much. I'd recommend either of the first two.

Yeah I couldn't make it through 30 seconds of that first one.

I am a god lyrics

I wont defend most of the lyrics on the album but anyone who actually takes these seriously needs to cheer up.

To try and address this more basically I'd say he makes music that doesn't really sound like anyone else. Especially when he came out he sounded very different to other hip hop that was in the charts at the time (50 cent for example). Plus he had great pop hook which helped him cross over to non hip hop fans while his production was so good that hip hop fans stayed on side too. Plus the reasons about image that you mention yourself.

Edited by Paranoid Android

To try and address this more basically I'd say he makes music that doesn't really sound like anyone else. Especially when he came out he sounded very different to other hip hop that was in the charts at the time (50 cent for example). Plus he had great pop hook which helped him cross over to non hip hop fans while his production was so good that hip hop fans stayed on side too. Plus the reasons about image that you mention yourself.

This is by far the best reasoning I've ever heard with regards to KW. Genuinely an angle (or two) I hadn't considered. Thanks.

I still haven't listened to an album. Been too busy. But I will.

Edit: I think part of my dislike from him stems from the fact that I am a big hip hop fan and part of me thinks he's tarnished the genre. People think KW IS what hip hop is all about and that bugs me.

Edited by ca_gere

Your response suggests that I've in some way made a worthy music discussion post. I'm going to have to post at least 3 football gifs, 2 posts slagging of Jake and  Yodel complaint to balance that out.

Keeping the kanye chat going I think it's important to recognise that most of his "dickhead behaviour" came after he had already achieved a lot of success. There is a very thin line between what some people will write off as a crazy guy being ridiculous and others see as evidence a person is the biggest douchebag in the world. I definitely agree he wouldn't get away with his current public persona if he hadn't built up respect previously.

Gold Digger reminds me of being a student in Liquid.

Personally I'm not fan of Kanye West. Not really my cup of tea.

He must be doing something right though, he's minted and famous as hell. He's even got people who don't like his music discussing his lyrics on a music forum :p

I think nowadays, with how easy buying music is, marketing is key to a (insert genre here) stars success. Kanye doing mad shit is just a clever way of getting peoples attention. I bet he's sold lots of albums to people just wanting to find out what the fuck he is on about.

When Stroops posted the lyrics to I am a god I got a bit of a shock, not from the lyric content (or lack of AMIRITE?) but from the fact that it took 14 people to write it. Surely that's the music as well as the lyrics?!? Surely 14 people didn't meet up and were unable to find any other words that rhymed with God, you, pack and back.

When Stroops posted the lyrics to I am a god I got a bit of a shock, not from the lyric content (or lack of AMIRITE?) but from the fact that it took 14 people to write it. Surely that's the music as well as the lyrics?!? Surely 14 people didn't meet up and were unable to find any other words that rhymed with God, you, pack and back.

Yeah, surely. I thought the same thing. Maybe its a very prominent case of too many cocks spoiling the broth.