aberdeen-music

Trade/Part Exchange: Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass CIJ

Huw

I bought this bass a couple of years ago now... must have been some time in '07. So I'd say its almost exactly 2 years old. It's got its fair share of bumps and bruises (buckle rash, couple of paint chips), but it's all aesthetic still plays really well.

However, the bass still looks absolutely gorgeous and if I could afford to, I'd keep it on its looks alone. This is the Japan only non-export model (which in my opinion looks one hundred times better than the other ones) which means it's got chrome knobs (neck vol, bridge vol, tone), control panel and tuners, a 3 ply (black-white-black) scratch plate and a curved radius top. The finish is black with a cream binding and a matching black headstock. I repeat... it looks great.

The neck is pretty narrow, even narrower than the Mexican made Jazz basses and more like the Highway One Jazzes, great for speedy playing.

Sound wise, despite the name, it actually sounds more like a Precision due to the P pickup in the 'neck' position, however when you roll in the bridge J pickup it fattens up the sound nicely. Roll it off and you have yourself a true P sound. If you roll the J up to about 3/4+ it gives you pretty nice gritty P sound with a fat bottom end. Only prolem is you can't get a true J sound out of it. On the subject of pickups I replaced the (pretty weak) stock pickups with new Wizard pickups. Its a custom wind kinda... basically it's the tumper in the bridge with whatever is used in the PJ combo set. These have bettered the tone tenfold!

My reasons for selling is that after trying out a fer Jazz basses I've realised they are totally what I'm after. I'd be looking for any kind of Fender Jazz (MIM, MIA or highway one - preferably the latter two!), Lakland or any other cool jazz bass. I'd really like an olympic/arctic white one, but I'm open to anything, finish will come second if I'm getting a good deal!

replies here or pms please. May accept cash if price is right prolly around the 500 mark ( i know it's high, but I'd rather trade or p/x it). i'll get some pics to entice you!

Thanks,

Huw

P.S Crafted in Japan.

Cool, thought you might be into it. I might just keep it for you if there is no other takers.

Also, the pickups were installed by my pal Matt who is great at this kind of thing and is very reliable. He also set up the bass for me.

I think there is a little earthing problem with it, but I'll probably get that sorted out soon.

Most of the Aerodynes I've seen seem to be going for 500, but they are the regular export models with stock pickups.

• 2 weeks later...
And graduation present.

you using this on thursday?

Yeah! With the mesa, it came through today. well chuffed. Hopefully I'll get a decent sound before Thurs.

If I deceide to get a Mexican I'll prolly not give it up, but if I go for something better (highway one/jap/american) I'll sell/trade (if/when I have the cash to do so).

If I deceide to get a Mexican I'll prolly not give it up, but if I go for something better (highway one/jap/american) I'll sell/trade (if/when I have the cash to do so).

Fair enough.Let me know what the craic is with this and the other bass (as I quite fancy that too).Bottom line is I will be looking for a new bass end of month and both are making me moist, this more so.

Fair enough.Let me know what the craic is with this and the other bass (as I quite fancy that too).Bottom line is I will be looking for a new bass end of month and both are making me moist, this more so.

Righto! The end of the month may lend itself to an upgrade in which case I'll prolly sell. I'll keep you in the know.

• 2 weeks later...
Righto! The end of the month may lend itself to an upgrade in which case I'll prolly sell. I'll keep you in the know.

The end of the month is fast approaching and I think I'd like to sell this, reply here or PM if interested. Price is negotiable now

i love these basses, jason black of hot water music uses one and its awesome

what sorta trade would you be after?

yup, a lot of people use 'em! the only ones that spring to mind are the boy from Foals and the guy from Lemuria (not anymore though).

emmm, preferably for a jazz bass, what have you got?!

I would like this and have a Fender mex Jazz in 'midnight wine' I'd be willing to trade (+ cash depending on what deal we can thrash out if you're interested :)).

Sounds good, but I'm really after a more high end Jazz... like HW1, Japanese or USA.

PM'd you though.