aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

With the Keegan case out of the way now, Barry Moat has lodged his first official bid to buy us. Our parasitic "managing director" Derek Llambias has advised Mike to accept it, so hopefully he does. I'll explode with joy.

"You fat cockney bastard, get out of our club..."

Bellamy is a strange one. He is a fairly gifted player but he's got a strange attitude. He has had fairly hit or miss stints at clubs too, Liverpool was a particular disaster. I think he needs the right sort of manager who maybe indulges his bullshit to get the best out of him.

Ireland is a cracking player too. Is Johnson not injured at the moment?

PhysioRoom.com doesn't think so, but there's every chance he could be. I've heard a few things about his recreational habits that could go a long way to explaining his continued absence, but I don't think it'd be appropriate to repeat them on a public message board.

Maybe Nev has a better idea?

PhysioRoom.com doesn't think so, but there's every chance he could be. I've heard a few things about his recreational habits that could go a long way to explaining his continued absence, but I don't think it'd be appropriate to repeat them on a public message board.

Why, do any of us know him? If he's taking shots in the shitter from Sol Campbell we really need to know!

What the shit is going on down in Portsmouth, anyway? They seem to have replaced us as the Premiership's carnival club. There's a long, drawn-out takeover from a guy who apparently doesn't have any money and wears his a club shirt to the games a la Mike Ashley, all their good players leave over the Summer and are replaced with cheap mediocrity, then it turns out they could go into administration and the players haven't been paid... then POOF. Another takeover. You couldn't make this shit up.

Hope they manage to beat the drop for Paul Hart's sake, he seems like a decent bloke and he actually had them looking pretty decent at the weekend.

He's had some kind of pelvic issue which has pretty much kept him out for the past two years. Hughes has been building him up slowly as it was an actual physical issue rather than an injury, if you get me.

Came off the bench for a couple of minutes last week, and has been playing in the reserves regularly recently.

Be interesting to see if he can force his way into the team. As he's the kind of player who can control a game with ease.

Are Don Cowie and Stephen Hughes the only central midfielders in the squad? Holy shit, that's amazing. I know Adam can play there too, but he usually plays out on the wing for Blackpool.

Ah well, it's a friendly so it doesn't really matter too much. At least the likes of Lee Wallace will get a wee taste of international football.

Guest Gladstone
Are Don Cowie and Stephen Hughes the only central midfielders in the squad? Holy shit, that's amazing. I know Adam can play there too, but he usually plays out on the wing for Blackpool.

Ah well, it's a friendly so it doesn't really matter too much. At least the likes of Lee Wallace will get a wee taste of international football.

Fucksake. This is slowly but surely turning into the Berti Vogts era, mark 2.

Guest Gladstone
Suppose it will be good for the reserve reserve team to get a runnie. What happened to Scottish football? Things looked so promising a few years back. The state we're in now... It makes me a bit sad, like literally sad and disheartened.

The money saved in not keeping McLeish is biting us big time. If we could have held onto McLeish and kept the momentum up, we would have been in the playoffs for the World Cup and in with a real shout of making the tournament.

Instead we have the Scottish Berti Vogts in charge, and we're right back where we were before Walter Smith took over.

It's really pish.

We were a place behind England in the rankings a wee while ago, and I would have been confident of beating them in any head to head back then (cos they were playing very badly), but England would rape us 9 times out of 10 at the moment, along with any other decent side.

I know we got a decent slice of luck in both games, but we beat France home and away in the last campaign. We took 1 point from Norway this campaign. Says a lot.

Luck or not, there was a buzz about the team. We were beginnnig to play attractive football and had dependable performers. Obviously not qualifying was a blow but it felt as if it was all a lead up to something better in the future. Now it's like people can't be arsed turning up and just fone in sick. I'm sure this ebb and trough discussion has been and will be repeated ad nauseum over the years but that Mcleish team was the best I've seen in my lifetime and it's a crying shame we've gone ten steps backward.

Guest Gladstone
Luck or not, there was a buzz about the team. We were beginnnig to play attractive football and had dependable performers. Obviously not qualifying was a blow but it felt as if it was all a lead up to something better in the future. Now it's like people can't be arsed turning up and just fone in sick. I'm sure this ebb and trough discussion has been and will be repeated ad nauseum over the years but that Mcleish team was the best I've seen in my lifetime and it's a crying shame we've gone ten steps backward.

Totally agree.

We played a fucking awesome 90 minutes against France in France. Yes, the goal was lucky in that if he tried that another 50 times, it would probably not go in again, but it was the exact game plan.

It wasn't any form of anti-football either. Yes we frustrated France, but we kept the ball when we had it and didn't panic. For the players we had available against the players they had available, we played an almost perfect game.

The game against Ukraine would take some beating though. We were in Glasgow, watching it in a semi-busy hotel bar, and it was just unbelievable. The Hutton/Brown combo down the right hand side was awesome.

The buzz throughout the country was brilliant. We thought we could beat anyone, and almost expected to take Italy at home. The Georgia game was a massive disappointment, but such is life. We gave the World Champions a great game, and beat the runners up away from home. As well as destroying World Cup quarter finalists. Brilliant.

The team that reached the 1998 World Cup would probably be slightly better in my opinion, but I don't think there was the same buzz back then apart from the fact we were actually in tournaments back then. If we'd reached either the last tournament or South Africa it would have been immense. I'm confident McLeish would have taken us to South Africa. I now can't see us qualifying for anything.

Couple all that with the complete shitey state of club football and it's all a bit depressing, in comparison to the season Celtic, Rangers, and Aberdeen were all doing relatively well in Europe, and Scotland were actually a decent team. I'm fucking depressed now.

Big game of Saturday on the club front is probably our visit to Dens, should be a good support through (17 to get in though, ugh). Quietly confident we might get a rsult against Jocky Fritzl's expensively assembled mercs if we keep tight at the back and get some service through the flanks.

Could really do with Harkins and Griffiths having off days, too.

Mon!

:up:

The team that reached the 1998 World Cup would probably be slightly better in my opinion, but I don't think there was the same buzz back then apart from the fact we were actually in tournaments back then. If we'd reached either the last tournament or South Africa it would have been immense. I'm confident McLeish would have taken us to South Africa. I now can't see us qualifying for anything.

nah, the 98 team was full of adequate professionals but nothing more. Seeing the likes of Thom Boyd line up against Brazil was heart warming but never did the thought enter my mind that they were capable of competing at that level. They were all ancient and it would be difficult to say any of them would have slotted into the starting 11 of any top sides in the world. Fletcher, Brown, perhaps Hutton on a good day, maybe mcgregor are/were almost at that level.

Guest Gladstone
nah, the 98 team was full of adequate professionals but nothing more. Seeing the likes of Thom Boyd line up against Brazil was heart warming but never did the thought enter my mind that they were capable of competing at that level. They were all ancient and it would be difficult to say any of them would have slotted into the starting 11 of any top sides in the world. Fletcher, Brown, perhaps Hutton on a good day, maybe mcgregor are/were almost at that level.

Jim Leighton, Paul Lambert, John Collins, were all brilliant.

It was always our strikeforce that let us down...

The team was ageing, and ultimately I blame the lack of youth in that team for the pish 10 years that followed, but at the time, the teams in 1996 and 1998 were really good. They actually got to both those tournaments as well don't forget. As good as the McLeish team was, it didn't qualify (admittedly because we were in pot 4 at the draw for the qualifiers though).

Guest Gladstone
Fuck, that was ten years ago?! I'm even more depressed than I was five minutes ago

It is fucking dire.

Since 1998, I can remember the following exciting points in international football (from a Scottish point of view)

Playoffs vs England in 2000. Got taken apart by Paul Scholes at home. Gutting. But put it to them at Wembley and beat them on their own patch 1-0. But for the best save of David Seaman's career from a header by Christian Dailly (?) we would have taken them to extra time and hopefully penalties. We know they don't do penalties.

Darren Fletcher's goal vs Lithuania in 2005/2006 to reach the playoffs.

Playoffs vs Holland in 2006 (?). Beat them at home unbelievably, with that McFadden goal. Entire nation thought Berti Vogts incredibly would take us to a tournament. Second leg, Vogts drafted in Gavin Rae and all hell broke loose.

Winning that cup in Japan, and beating someone 5-1. Didn't even see it, but Scotland banging in 5 goals is amazing.

The entire campaign with the France, Italy, Ukraine Group. Best moments - Seeing Scotland finally roll over the Faroes instead of struggling like usual. Being at Hampden when Caldwell scored the biggest goal of his life. Craig Beattie's shinroller against Georgia in McLeish's first game in charge. Beating France on their own patch, with McFadden's best and biggest goal in his career. Taking Ukraine apart at home.

*This is all off the top of my head, so apologies for any inaccuracies...

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Don' forget beating San Marino 6-0 at Hampden. Colin fucking Hendry almost got a hat-trick!

That's right. For years we had wondered where the goals would come from, and Colin Hendry scored two belters in the same game.

Then disgraced himself by elbowing that guy in the throat and nearly killing him.

Colin Hendry was awesome though. I remember when he played for the Huns, and he slid what looked like face first into the post against Parma. I said to my brother that he'd play on. Right enough he stood up and shook it off and played on. Turns out it was his shoulder that collided with the post and not his coupon, but it was still at full pace, and the goals were shaking for ages after the collision! I also read a story about him when he was at Blackburn (I think), and he broke his nose during a game. The only way he could possibly have continued was if he straightened his nose up and stuffed some cotton wool up there. So guess what he did... And no doubt without giving it a second thought. Can you imagine Caldwell or McManus doing that? Can you fuck.