aberdeen-music

metallica last night

ben_1903

Absolutely belting.

Favourites on the night were Of Wolf and Man, For Whom The Bell Tolls, All Nightmare Long, The Day That Never Comes and Master of Puppets. Was surprised to see Turn The Page in the mix, ditto Trapped Under Ice. First time seeing them, loved them for absolutely years, totally ace.

For the record, did anyone else think the sound mix for Machine Head was abysmal? Especially for the first couple of tracks?

I thought that James kicked ass. Trapped under Ice was definately a highlight!

Rob and James were giving it hell. Lars was not too shabby. Kirk is a really good guitarist but he seems to be going through the motions. Just my honest opinion.

Machinehead were fucking terrible! The person in charge of their sound should be taken out and shot. I also cringe at that "Halo" song. Jeez, leave songs in that style to Bullet for my valentine and Trivium. Seriously, Machinehead were like the sacrificial lambs to the slaughter before Metallica played.

I was near the walkway and when James came off-stage he ran along then fell face first. It took him about 15 seconds to get to his feet. Hope he is ok, because it looked like a bad fall and it took him ages to get to his feet!

I thought that James kicked ass. Trapped under Ice was definately a highlight!

Rob and James were giving it hell. Lars was not too shabby. Kirk is a really good guitarist but he seems to be going through the motions. Just my honest opinion.

Machinehead were fucking terrible! The person in charge of their sound should be taken out and shot. I also cringe at that "Halo" song. Jeez, leave songs in that style to Bullet for my valentine and Trivium. Seriously, Machinehead were like the sacrificial lambs to the slaughter before Metallica played.

I was near the walkway and when James came off-stage he ran along then fell face first. It took him about 15 seconds to get to his feet. Hope he is ok, because it looked like a bad fall and it took him ages to get to his feet!

I kind of took Kirk's onstage mannerisms to be more relaxed than complacent. I can see why you saw it like that though. The solo part he played before Nothing Else Matters was blinding :up:

I was well up for Machine Head. I don't love them on record but thought they'd do the job, because they tour with Metallica so often. The one song I was actually really up for was Imperium, and it got absolutely drowned in the sound mix. On the whole, pretty dull, although the crowd seemed to really take to them. I'd rather have had another half hour of The Sword, or better still, a different band, like Black Stone Cherry or something. Something a bit more melody driven maybe.

Loved pretty much everything about Metallica's performance. I don't really like Fight Fire With Fire that much on record but it sounds better live.

I kind of took Kirk's onstage mannerisms to be more relaxed than complacent. I can see why you saw it like that though. The solo part he played before Nothing Else Matters was blinding :up:

I was well up for Machine Head. I don't love them on record but thought they'd do the job, because they tour with Metallica so often. The one song I was actually really up for was Imperium, and it got absolutely drowned in the sound mix. On the whole, pretty dull, although the crowd seemed to really take to them. I'd rather have had another half hour of The Sword, or better still, a different band, like Black Stone Cherry or something. Something a bit more melody driven maybe.

Loved pretty much everything about Metallica's performance. I don't really like Fight Fire With Fire that much on record but it sounds better live.

I thought when James announced him as Kirk "The Ripper" Hammett then he proceeded to play a weird crappy jazz solo thing it was a bit of a let down.

Other than that I thought the gig was excellent, except from "The Day That Never Comes" which is a terrible out-of-place song on the record never mind playing it live, which I thought brought the atmosphere down just a wee bit.

Machine Head's sound was dismal, the vocals weren't up loud enough and the guitars were chuggy and muffled.

Still my mate actually caught one of James tombstone pic's, needless to say he's loving himself right now :)

Now that i have calmed down a bit here are my opinions:

set-list - excellent, although a shame about the lack of justice era and load and reload era . turn the page was epic - they make it 'big' live. trapped under ice - yas min. of wolf and man - YAAAAS min

performance - tight as a nuns chuff, particularly the first hour. I'm fed up of lars getting criticism for being shabby - he was excellent, and the double kick in all songs was good. Especially the wee 'trills' in for whom the bell tolls

james - greatest front man ever

rob - machine

kirk - actually I thought he looked relaxed and seemed to be having fun

over all i had a blast, and i think metallica did too.

Machine head were good, the sound was not their fault.

Really enjoyed Metallica, even some of the stuff on the new album that I'm not so keen on. The setlist wasn't the best but I thought the band were absolutely blinding and "Turn the Page" was fantastic.

Whoever was responsible for Machine Head's mix needs to be slapped with a big wet fish. Aside from a couple of bits of cheesy crowd banter from Robb Flynn all I heard was a big fizzy mess. The Sword didn't have the greatest mix in the world either but at least I could hear their riffs.

I was there last night and that was the 2nd time i have seen metallica, first time was at wembley in 07 and last night destroyed that.

i loved every second of it, new album is great songs like all nightmare long and my apocalypse will be in there set till the end, just incredible.

James voice top quality as always superb in turn the page.

the sword and machine heads sound was incredibly bad. was a wall of noise, and i like machine head but not so much last night.

p.s got a DM plectrum hells yes!

I was there last night and that was the 2nd time i have seen metallica, first time was at wembley in 07 and last night destroyed that.

i loved every second of it, new album is great songs like all nightmare long and my apocalypse will be in there set till the end, just incredible.

James voice top quality as always superb in turn the page.

the sword and machine heads sound was incredibly bad. was a wall of noise, and i like machine head but not so much last night.

p.s got a DM plectrum hells yes!

With the possible exception of The Day That Never Comes, All Nightmare Long is probably my favourite from the new record now. That or That Was Just Your Life, which is an absolutely belting opening tune.

I think its only the second time My Apocalypse has ever been played live and Trapped Under Ice apparently only the 5th time ever!!!!

Metallica live at the Secc :up:

• Upvote 1

I think its only the second time My Apocalypse has ever been played live and Trapped Under Ice apparently only the 5th time ever!!!!

Metallica live at the Secc :up:

wtf!?!?!? that soundboard recording is absolutely sweet, was it a radio broadcast or something? Maybe just an "official" bootleg?

Couldn't be there and was gutted to hear I missed Fight Fire with Fire and Trapped Under Ice but now I can enjoy them in glorious (well mixed) stereo... hoorah :)

Cheers for the link!!!!!

wtf!?!?!? that soundboard recording is absolutely sweet, was it a radio broadcast or something? Maybe just an "official" bootleg?

Couldn't be there and was gutted to hear I missed Fight Fire with Fire and Trapped Under Ice but now I can enjoy them in glorious (well mixed) stereo... hoorah :)

Cheers for the link!!!!!

I'm in agreement. Pretty good quality bootleg. :up:

Has anyone seen the video released for Broken, Beat and Scarred? It's basically a live video from this tour, and in my opinion the best video they've ever done with the possible exception of "I Disappear". Captures the show perfectly.

Thought they were out-standing in Glasgow, seeing Hetfield that close up making silly faces was brilliant. Saw them in Sheffield a month ago, which was seated, totally different experience, some bits were better, some worse, but it was in a which was designed as an ice hockey rink, so it had the terraced seats and a Cunning Stunts feel to it which is a great way to see Metallica too.

I'm finally going to concede that they may EQUAL Kiss live.

Second time round I'm still not sure what the black bouncey balls were about though.