aberdeen-music

punk/metal war

metallica_jaco

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that the general public are all middle-aged? Where do you get the idea that everyone wants "stripped down acoustic tracks with simplicity and tunefulness" from? I don't know how old you are exactly' date=' but given that you have a 13 year old daughter I think its safe to say that you probably have very little understanding of the music young people are listening to and the context they are listening to it in. You always refer to my tracks as "soundscapes", I think this just goes to show that you don't realise that the paradigm of traditional "pop" structures is dead, in the age of 6-8 minute club 12"'s. I know aberdeen has a "rock/punk/metal" scene but rest assured, it is a minority group. I don't want to start another argument, but I just think you, and a lot of people on this forum, are out of touch with reality.[/quote']

No I don't want to argue with you either stripey. It's now quite well known that over 50% of the record buying public are now people in their 40's. That just cold hard sales figures. And I didn't say everyone was buying accoustic music, simply that the record buying trend was that way. Also these dead pop stars are selling an awful lot of records. And believe me as the father of a 13 year old I know what she buys and likes. It's also my business to know whats going on in the music world, the whole music world, not a tiny part of it. The club scene has a lot of people getting into it, but as a part of the whole music world it's also a minority group. And before you tell me I'm out of touch, part of my business is the hiring and installing of giant PAs to clubs and raves and festivals. If I was out of touch I would go bankrupt.

A serious question though: in your music, do you ever put in a vocal track that you recorded yourself or by asking someone to sing it for you? If so, do you have such a track on line?

Guest Stripey

I really don't give a shit, you people are beyond a joke.

Ibid, you just don't know. You really don't know. It's not worth arguing the point with you or anyone else. I feel sorry for you guys, small-minded people from a small-minded town in the arse-end of nowhere. You should try getting out more, see a bit of the world.

Even my friends from glasgow refer to aberdeen as "toytown". Get over yourselves.

Guest allsystemsfail
I really don't give a shit' date=' you people are beyond a joke.

[/quote']

Beyond a joke? What I find exremely amusing is your ignorance regarding punk - making statements about a thing you know nothing at all about. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, you were taught all about it at school. :rolleyes:

Guest Nikola Tesla

Stripey why can't you just accept you know barly anything about punk/metal music. Your ignorance is showing through brillaintly here, and im shure the other members of the electronic scene think your small minded beliefs are pathetic and limiting yourself to huge musical possibilites utilising organic tools as well as electronic.

Guest Stripey
Beyond a joke? What I find exremely amusing is your ignorance regarding punk - making statements about a thing you know nothing at all about. Oh' date=' I'm sorry, I forgot, you were taught all about it at school. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I don't give a shit about punk. I really couldn't care less. It makes me laugh. Aberdeen is a total joke.

Guest Nikola Tesla
I don't give a shit about punk. I really couldn't care less. It makes me laugh. Aberdeen is a total joke.

A lot of punk bands have at least tryed to do somthing positive with their music. Ie spread politcal theory, raise world issues, create an art form that is meant to be free of closed minded fuck wits like you. Can you please tell me what your mighty electronic acts have done to help with such things?

Guest Stripey
A lot of punk bands have at least tryed to do somthing positive with their music. Ie spread politcal theory' date=' raise world issues, create an art form that is meant to be free of closed minded fuck wits like you. Can you please tell me what your mighty electronic acts have done to help with such things?[/quote']

Rubbish. Aberdeen bands are all middle-class kids from affluent backgrounds and are the kind of kids people like john lydon would have beaten up.

***ahhh thrash my guitar***ahhh scream FUCK THE SYSTEM****ahhh arent I so subversive and cool***

It's a load of fucking shite.

Guest Nikola Tesla
Rubbish. Aberdeen bands are all middle-class kids from affluent backgrounds and are the kind of kids people like john lydon would have beaten up.

***ahhh thrash my guitar***ahhh scream FUCK THE SYSTEM****ahhh arent I so subversive and cool***

John lydon was one of those kids and hardly a punk icon. If you knew anything about the real punk movement in the late seventies you'd know the pistols were media controlled muppets. Bands like crass actualy lived their lifestyle and practised what they preached.

On the case about aberdeen, not all the musicians will be middle class kids trying to be kool some of them will be kids who actualy want to try to make a differance by playing music. But im shure your deprived working class back ground makes you a speaker for the social set.

Guest allsystemsfail

It is not rubbish, but FACT. Punk is extremely political. Look, if you're gonna address an issue, then I suggest you first find out something about it before talking such nonsense. Your ignorance of punk and its politics is plain for all to see.

And John Lydon? Fuck him.

Oh, and all of the punks I have known in Aberdeen - who were/are involved with various band projects, setting up shows etc, are from traditional working class families.

Guest allsystemsfail
So you are pretty much saying to be a punk you have to have a shite up bringing in a wokring class family?

No, you misunderstand me. I have no interest in folks class backgrounds. They wanna fuck shit up, then that's cool. I was only pointing out Stripey's error.

This really a fucking pain in the arse topic.

Petty fucking arguement.

Punk came first, people got influence from punk and suddenly heard sabbath n Deep Purple then picked up guitar and started getting more extreme as time flew on till here we are today with death and thrash metal whose members were all influenced by punk bands that still have the aggression and agner back when it started.

Ta Da

that is either a really good rant or just a pile of shite.

you choose

Guest Stripey

its just a load of rubbish, all this punk nonsense. You get like a handful of people coming to your gigs and its the same people every time.

This whole music-scene that u call it, is just a small number of losers patting themselves on the back.

Guest Sundaram
Yes it would be nice for something different' date=' but if you knock down the foundations of your house, you can't build up from it[/quote']

A good post/point...

Musically acknowledge the past, but still look to the future! :up:

Guest Stripey
Anyone see some hypocracy in this comment?

I'm sorry, but nobody gives a shit about the bands in aberdeen, because frankly, they are rubbish. This is why the P+J doesn't cover it, this is why only a handful of people attend the gigs, this is why noone cares. because noone wants to hear a bunch of adolescents with marginal musical skills playing some shitty tunes that sound like a bad imitation of whats in the charts.

The aberdeen "punk/rock/metal/" scene is a total fringe minority, its always teh same people that go to gigs, its just a bunch of tossers patting themselves on the back and pretending they are doing something underground.

it's rubbish.

Guest allsystemsfail
its just a load of rubbish' date=' all this punk nonsense. You get like a handful of people coming to your gigs and its the same people every time.

This whole music-scene that u call it, is just a small number of losers patting themselves on the back.[/quote']

Patting themselves on the back? How'd you figure that out? *shakes head in disbelief*

Oh, and it is not the same every time. You really gotta start checking yourself before making such sweeping and uneducated remarks.

Guest allsystemsfail
I'm sorry' date=' but nobody gives a shit about the bands in aberdeen, because frankly, they are rubbish. This is why the P+J doesn't cover it, this is why only a handful of people attend the gigs, this is why noone cares. because noone wants to hear a bunch of adolescents with marginal musical skills playing some shitty tunes that sound like a bad imitation of whats in the charts.

The aberdeen "punk/rock/metal/" scene is a total fringe minority, its always teh same people that go to gigs, its just a bunch of tossers patting themselves on the back and pretending they are doing something underground.

it's rubbish.[/quote']

What's with the talk of adolescents? A lotta folks I know are in their 30s and older.

And bad imitation of what's in the charts? You really have no idea as to what you're taking about.

Mannn

Why has music become so genre obsessive??? I like SOME bands who play metal and SOME who play punk rock, it's good to have things in certain categories but cmon peeps at the end of the day isn't it ok to just say "I like that track" for no g'dam reason - without the "o thats not metal" etc etc (Plz now look at ur mp3/record collection to confirm this). Music is about individuality and every band (well most ;), the serious ones anyways) try to rubber stamp their own sound. There are only 7 notes in music so similarities are bound to occur, never mind that u have all ur influences pushing how u nail ur chords down in ur own songs so plz deal with it or else musical progress will be harmed.

Ibid, A song Ruined have put some fair points down tho i must admit :)

Btw jaco is a legend, and so are metallica, nuf sed. C'mon the whiplash!