aberdeen-music

Nfl

Nev

I knew better than to get ahead of myself but I really did think we'd beat the Eagles. Philly went into lockdown with the Pope coming so apparently the team had a week long retreat to bond/practice. Did them a lot of good because they looked pretty great in all departments. Jets didn't play badly either. Marshall's bonehead play + the returned punt were huge turning points. Fitz started going long because we needed yards - and that's never a good thing. Going into the 4th down 1 score I'd have been confident we could have won.

A disappointing loss but nothing to panic over really.

Tyrod Taylor is a beast right now. He's been excellent. Looks dashing in that uniform too.

Hate to say it but Bills are probably 2nd best team in the division right now. Jets have yet to play a division team and we should crush the fish at the wknd right enough.

T-Mobile is going full beastmode. Its awesome. Karlos Williams having a hell of a rookie season too, which makes losing LeSean McCoy easier to deal with. Game against Giants will be a bit tougher without him and its looking like Sammy Watkins will be out as well.

Watched RedZone round at a friends and it ridiculous. 7 hours of commercial free football. Obviously I usually just want to watch the Bills game but if its not an option RedZone is ace.

Hockey season starts next week. YAY SPORTS!

T-Mobile is going full beastmode. Its awesome. Karlos Williams having a hell of a rookie season too, which makes losing LeSean McCoy easier to deal with. Game against Giants will be a bit tougher without him and its looking like Sammy Watkins will be out as well.

Watched RedZone round at a friends and it ridiculous. 7 hours of commercial free football. Obviously I usually just want to watch the Bills game but if its not an option RedZone is ace.

Hockey season starts next week. YAY SPORTS!

Get Gamepass chap - the Bills are always an option...

My raiders pick is looking pretty good at the moment. They're a million miles from the team they've been the last few years. A winnable game this weekend - for which they're favorites for the first time in about 40 games - would have them at 3-1. If I was Andy Reid, I'd start worrying.

I assume a lot of British nfl fans are pretty insufferable. I can only imagine the elitism involved in such a complex sport that's fairly new to a lot of people.

I'm not understanding the whole jersey thing. I'm seeing more 'other team' jerseys than the two teams playing. Are people that intent on letting everyone know who they support?

I'm finding the easiest way to get into it is just forget about the complexities and intricacies and look at it as a sport of making runs, throwing, catching, and smashing other humans. As a new viewer, looking at it as this amazingly complex sport definitely creates a big barrier to entry, and trying to pay attention to every minor detail that's happening is really distracting and frustrating. 

Just tryna figure out the basics and take it from there. I still have no idea what a "rushing hard" is or what any of the positions other than a quarterback actually do.

For those of you who are new to the sport, there's a writer called Chris B. Brown (I can imagine why he uses his middle initial) and he's written a couple of fantastic books (The Essential Smart Football and his newest one The Art of Smart Football) whih take some pretty complex stuff and make it hugely readable and very simple. Most of the articles come from his website smartfootball.com and a lot is featured on Grantland, which if you don't visit, you should!

American Football is at its core a very simple sport. The Offense starts with the ball. They have 4 goes to move it ten yards and if they manage it, they get another ten yards and another four goes. If they don't manage it, they will kick the ball away (like the 5th tackle in Rugby League) either by punting the ball to the opposition in an attempt to pin them as deep in their own half as possible, or attempt a field goal. From that point, the roles are reversed and the game continues. You can move the ball on offense in one of two ways - run or pass. There are little wrinkles of course (fake the run, pass the ball - called Play Action; fake the pass, run the ball - called a draw; throw the ball to someone with pre-positioned blockers in front of him - a screen pass) but that's really it. Ameriocans love to just over complicate everything with terminology and stats! The real excitement and interest comes in the physicality, the intimidation and the chess match that goes on between the teams in disguising what you're going to do. Best sport ever!

Bills took far too many fucking penalties. Completely ridiculous. Then Rex Ryan comes out and says he liked his team's "fight"? Fuck that, they need fucking disciplined. 2 times in the red zone and we come away with 0 points both times. Utter bollocks.

Was upsetting to watch. UGH.

Welcome to life under Rex Ryan...where nothing is ever wrong regardless of the outcome.

That was a very winnable game for the bills. Those two red zone trips in short succession should've been scores. Wasn't even as if they were being outplayed by the defense. Just poorly executed plays. I'll take a Giants win if it means beating our division rivals.

Jets were good.

Terrible article imo

The use of the phrase 'takes a dip to the basic' for starters.

Then two completely false statements: 1) that nfl coverage here isn't in-depth and is overly emotional. And 2) American coverage of soccer is asinine. 2 might have been true 4-5 years ago but it's definitely not now. Whilst there is an American slant to the coverage at times, the slew of ex-footballers and quality pundits are very well informed. Lee Dixon is still one of the best and he does most games.

As for 2, well at game time, when everyone is pumped up for the game there's a lot of talk about 'heart' and 'character' but that's 2 mins before kick off when it's all about excitement and expectation. It doesn't include an entire week of build-up to literally every game - scrutinized at every angle on the field and off. The American NFL fan has sports center on all the time - hardly anyone watches the pre-game. Also, if he's trying to argue that jay gruden or Phil Simms don't do a good enough job covering the techinical part of the game... Well he's just a fucking nob.

• Upvote 1