aberdeen-music

Nfl

Nev

Black Monday.

I see coaches expressing interest in the Niners job, Shanahan and Chip.

I'd be interested to see if Chip could get Kaep back to doing anything like he was the Superbowl year.  I think that ship has sailed though.  I wouldn't want him in charge of personnel like he was in Philly as well.  There were some strange and just terrible moves there.

I think there's a lot to be said for having a hybrid GM/HC tho. Otherwise I'm essentially expected to turn someone else's players into a team, irrespective if they're the kind of players I need for my system.

I expect Coughlin will go which is a real shame for the Giants. Be nice to get Payton to replace him

On 8/31/2015 at 2:08 PM, ca_gere said:

Predictions:

AFC: Colts

NFC: Packers

Superbowl: Colts

MVP: Luck

Rookie: Agholor (hard to look past Cooper but I want to be different)

Jets WILL make the playoffs and get beat in the first round.

You're a fucking nob

My Raiders dark horse prediction looked not too bad in parts though.

Gurley rookie of the year aye? Amari Cooper was pretty dope though.

On 8/28/2015 at 10:32 AM, Captain America said:

Some predictions for the season from everyone?  We can come back to these when we're all wrong come February!

AFC: Colts

NFC: Packers

Superbowl: Packers
MVP: Rodgers
Rookie of the Year: Cooper
Superbowl Dark Horse: Dolphins

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Maybe?  I think it's harder to impact as a WR than a RB.

Nopenopenope.

Great wild card games.

Felt for the VIkings, their defence was dominant that game, only gave up one play that led to the TD and they still should have won!

Need to score TDs though, settling for 4 FGs is always risky business.

Wish I'd been able to stay up for the end of the Steelers Bengals game.  Was a crazy finish.

Chiefs Texans was a joke but the Texans were bad all season, they weren't going to realise how to play in the post season.

Green Bay Washington was a good watch, Washington finally have something to build on it seems.

Moving franchises in the US is something that is so difficult to comprehend. There's a team in your city and now they're gone. But they still exist. They just live somewhere else!
Seahawks/Panthers is gonna be excellent!
Does anyone follow the NCAA and saw the National Championship game that took place on Monday night? Cracking football!

It's hard to feel for St Louis Rams fans seeing as they inherited the team from LA in the first place. As said, the recyclable franchise thing is just weird.

The NCAA champ game was great fun. College football is guaranteed at least one bananas play/call/catch/miss per game - that's the best thing about it for me. Apparently viewing numbers dipped 15% this year. I really think it's because Notre Dame weren't very good this season. All the catholics in the US who don't already have an affiliation with any college seem to support them. I watched a few other bowl games but mostly stuck to highlights this season.

Seahawks were pretty jammy. I'm beginning to hate them. That FG was a banker. I hope the Panthers stuff them, although i have a sneaky suspicion they'll lay an egg and Seattle will win it on a dodgy call or something.

I agree on the Seahawks, I already hated them but they seem to get one free play every game with Wilson scrambling.  The defenders aren't allowed to hit him, even if he is clearly a runner at that point and not out of bounds or sliding.  As soon as you hit him more than a tap its a penalty.  He's been getting away with absolute murder for 2 years now!

There was a game earlier this year when they got a personal foul for shoving him out when he was already out when he was a solid two feet from the sideline.  How are you supposed to defend against that.

Felt for the Vikings, one guy over pursues Wilson and it gives up the huge play, that was a great play by Wilson though.  Keeping his eyes downfield while recovering to scramble.

The NCAA drop in rankings I believe was to do with playing the two semi finals on hogmanay - that didn't seem to go down well. Alabama are ridiculous; 4 national championships in 7 years and they've been in the mix every year. Nick Saban is a machine - the teams he puts together are frightening.

I quite like the Seahawks - they have some fantastic players and I like Pete Carroll's approach too. There's always an element of suggested favouritism from officials towards key players on big teams (Michael Jordan, Richie McCaw, Russel Wilson, etc) but I do wonder how much of it is real and how much is just because they put themselves in more of these types of situations than other less effective players.

Also on the NCAA front, sad to see that Lawrence Philips killed himself in prison yesterday. He was a running back for the 1994 Nebraska Cornhuskers alongside Tommie Frasier the QB and they were an unbelievable team. If you get a chance to look at the highlights on Youtube, they were an I-Form Triple Option team and they had the perfect blend of power (from a massive O-Line), speed and precision. Well worth a look!

I have no idea.  It could go really well as unlike the Eagles were not giving him the keys to the car in terms of personnel.

We also have a talented mobile QB which you would think would suit Kelly.

The defence isn't in as bad shape as you would think (except the CBs).  Our starting RT is coming back after his year of "retirement", or so he said on social media.  Decent draft and we'll be looking towards a 9-10 win season if we can at least go 500 in the division (which is tough).

Kelly vs York could also be a murder though.  Have to hope York is true to his word and actually does take a step back.

More personally I like it.  It's a serious appointment of a coach who had great success in college and could really build something in SF.  Glad we didn't go for Shanahan who was runner up apparently.

TLDR:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  could go either way easily.

Edited by Captain America

21 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

I'd agree. Chip + a truly mobile QB is yet to be seen in the NFL and could be awesome. It's a serious statement of intent from SF to go with Kelly. 

The real question is... where will this leave the Hayne Train?!

Hayne even as a return man was showing promise another off season and learn to not fumble he at least will have a role there.

He's so good for business, SF is the most popular now in Aus by a long shot so the fact he has some talent is icing on the cake for Jed.

1 hour ago, ca_gere said:

Does the Aus market really mean that much? A population of 20 million of which a fraction interested enough to watch games, buy merch etc

I get the excitement, it's a cool story but business-wise I doubt it's making much of a mark.

It's just about spreading the exposure of the sport and if it takes off in Aus the 49ers will be best positioned to take advantage of that with following already.  Your right its not that big in the end but its just a matter of spreading your brand as far as you can.

Happy the Broncos. Panthers and Cards got through, don't mind any of them getting the championship.  Would be a good end for Fitz or Peyton and you cant help but love Cam.

Saw a lot already about how the Pats will destroy the Broncos, I didn't think Broncos looked that bad, defence is something special.  They didn't even pressure Ben as much as normal, Brady could be running for his life.  

The Broncos receivers dropped a lot of balls against the Steelers.  Some of it you can put on Manning but there were balls bouncing off chests and face masks.  If the Broncos D shows up, we could be in for a real game.

I'd be more worried about either team coming out of the NFC than the 2 from the AFC.

Some good games this weekend! The 49ers Chip Kelly hire is very interesting. I watched a lot of his Oregon teams and they were superb to watch. He had flashes of that at Philly but it never really developed from year 1-2. I'm rooting for him tho because I like his style!

Panthers game was a really strange one. As long as you're sitting at the right end zone you get plenty of action in a game like that!

Brady hasn't been as effective at Mile High as he has elsewhere and they've had no shortage of injuries but somehow keep finding ways to win. I think the Pats will take it and advance to another SB

Some good games this weekend! The 49ers Chip Kelly hire is very interesting. I watched a lot of his Oregon teams and they were superb to watch. He had flashes of that at Philly but it never really developed from year 1-2. I'm rooting for him tho because I like his style!

Panthers game was a really strange one. As long as you're sitting at the right end zone you get plenty of action in a game like that!

Brady hasn't been as effective at Mile High as he has elsewhere and they've had no shortage of injuries but somehow keep finding ways to win. I think the Pats will take it and advance to another SB