aberdeen-music

More on banks, and their utter crappiness

Afro Droid

Continued from the 'Rant' thread...

Banks. Shit, shit, shit. Direct Debits - they're a huge scam aren't they? Is it that difficult for a payment top come out on the day it's meant to? Evidently it is, either that or the bank (in my case, the fucking TSB) takes the money early (when you have no money), or late (when you have no money); cue charges, bounced payments etc. I'm semi-convinced that they watch your account and pick their optimum moment to screw you over - holding the money in 'limbo' to get the interest. Cunts.

Also, my girlfriend suspected she'd had her indentity theived, weird payments appeared on her statement (to chinese restaurants in Cambridge and the like), even stranger was that the amounts and dates matched payments she had really made. She contacted her bank, Barclays, and it turns out they'd just randomly doubled up on her genuine payments and allocated them to random bussinesses, again in 'limbo' making the bank interest, a "glitch in the system" apparently. Bullshit, they took the money out in order to charge her for being overdrawn, even though it was against payments she didn't make or authorise, and to make interest off her cash. Cunts.

Any similiar experiences?

Banks. Shit, shit, shit. Direct Debits - they're a huge scam aren't they? Is it that difficult for a payment top come out on the day it's meant to? Evidently it is, either that or the bank (in my case, the fucking TSB) takes the money early (when you have no money), or late (when you have no money); cue charges, bounced payments etc. I'm semi-convinced that they watch your account and pick their optimum moment to screw you over - holding the money in 'limbo' to get the interest. Cunts.

Also, my girlfriend suspected she'd had her indentity theived, weird payments appeared on her statement (to chinese restaurants in Cambridge and the like), even stranger was that the amounts and dates matched payments she had really made. She contacted her bank, Barclays, and it turns out they'd just randomly doubled up on her genuine payments and allocated them to random bussinesses, again in 'limbo' making the bank interest, a "glitch in the system" apparently. Bullshit, they took the money out in order to charge her for being overdrawn, even though it was against payments she didn't make or authorise, and to make interest off her cash. Cunts.

My bank, Lloyds just sent me a crappy diary and had the nerve to charge me 16 quid for it!! Who the fuck uses a diary these days?

you should write and get that 4p interest back then.

4p? Bank of Scotland charged me 30 whenever I went overdrawn. Hence me stopping Direct Debit payments.

did I say "get the charges back"?...

I distincly remember seeing "...and to make interest off her cash"

I was subject to being "overdrawn" for 1 day, and charged 30 by the TSB. So I closed my account. fuckem

Don't think i've used my debit or credit card since June, it's kind of cool and relaxing living on a strict budget making spending money for the month from trading whilst having the money from the day job accumulate in the bank with direct debits coming out monthly.

Try putting your credit and debit cards into a tupperware container, filling it with water and putting it in the deep freeze.

Don't think i've used my debit or credit card since June, it's kind of cool and relaxing living on a strict budget making spending money for the month from trading whilst having the money from the day job accumulate in the bank with direct debits coming out monthly.

Try putting your credit and debit cards into a tupperware container, filling it with water and putting it in the deep freeze.

so how do you buy things on a daily basis?

do you go into the bank and get a lump sum out at the start / end of the month?

I myself have a credit card that I pay off in full at the end of every month. (and never think of it as "credit" - just "my money" - so I've never gone nutty on it). It's also a cashback card, so at the end of every year, I get a nice we discount off the last bill. I've used it for "everything" - everyday purchases, so my money in the bank never gets touched, 'til the end of the month - to pay off the card.

I'd also weaned myself off being a consumer a while back, you know that feeling on pay day, where you think "I have to go spend this now!"...

I'd realised I'd stopped doing that when I once walking into a clothes shop and said to my self..."I don't need this, and I don't want it".

I've often thought that people who need gadgets and fashion to say something about themselves are missing the point... just 'cos you've got the latest phone or cool top from bench (or whoever), doesn't mean to say you can hold an interesting conversation!

It also doesn't mean that you're an idiot.

I love this forum...

where on earth did I say (or hint) that people who do spend dosh every time a gadget comes out - or spends shit loads on the latest fashions that they are idiots?

If anything, I think they are kidding themselves that "it matters". that is all.

not being able to have an interesting conversation, doesn't mean someone is thick... just that their "interests" are pretty vacuous. (but.....that's just my opinion)...I am sure there are plenty of people that think the latest xBox game is interesting...because spending hours in front of a TV in a fantasy world, pissing your life away is interesting, isn't it.

now, if someone was to MAKE a game for the xBox...that would be interesting.

I love this forum...

where on earth did I say (or hint) that people who do spend dosh every time a gadget comes out - or spends shit loads on the latest fashions that they are idiots?

If anything, I think they are kidding themselves that "it matters". that is all.

It's more your condescending and holier than thou attitude that provides implication in what you're saying.

It's all: "I buy fresh organic vegetables, if you don't shame on you for being stupid and not wanting to" and "Ho ho ho, i don't buy consumer goods, i'm better than you" (i'm paraphrasing there of course).

I love the fact that you've got all indignant about someone picking you up for lording it above the rest of us. Go back to picking your home grown sprouts and leave the rest of us consumers be. ;)

fair doos.

I am the cunt.

I respect that.

gotta love that I get slagged for wanting people to not be sheep, to actually do something, and care about stuff in their life. I just know I should refrain from "being serious"...lets all talk about shite.

holier than thou...love it.

No, i'm not slagging you, i actually think you're right in what you say. It's that old adage "It's not what you say, it's the way you say it".

has anyone ever got their bank charges refunded? I used to be absolutely disastrous with money, and so racked up quite a lot of charges, particularly during one Christmas where I was so skint I would write out cheques that I knew would bounce :-) I was quite sceptical about the whole refunding thing but my bank sent me a letter saying in so many words that they were not liable in any way, but would " as a goodwill gesture" offer me a four figure sum. Woo hoo!!!

I have a surprisingly clean record with the police which they only know me for throwing parties in Bridge of Don about 6 years ago, drinking in the streets, peeing in public and I got caught steaming drunk once with a Morissons trolley full of booze outside Archibald Simpsons. Oh, and a fight with a polish nazi outside Drummonds.

Other than that, I'm a model citizen.