aberdeen-music

The Jan Deal Smashing Pumpkins News Thread

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
When do the EP's get released? Any word on the first one yet?

I'm signed up to their mailing list, but never seem to get any mail.

Useless.

Aye, the mailing list seemed to focus on the archive project, which has been but on hold like so many other things.

As far as I can understand, the EPs will be released in a box set once all 44 songs have been made available for download. Each song is meant to be released in a 2-4 week period, with "A Song for a Son" being released this week. About 2 months later than it's expected release date. The blog which was being updated by Kerry Brown (who is producing) hasn't been updated in months either.

• 4 weeks later...

Stolen from a Smashing Pumpkins forum, the mad ramblings of Courtney Love regarding her new record and teh b0lly:

There's an interview with Courtney Love in the latest Q Magazine. Here's the bits relevant to Billy C.

It mentions Billy has been involved with her new album, and says MadM was going to be on it but then probably won't because ... and she goes "off-the-record" into some digression about MadM's musical skills, so it's not printed.

Speaking of friends, does Billy Corgan play on Samantha?

He is a co-writer on it. It was always gonna be the first single cos I liked it so much, before I thought of the line, "People like you fuck people like me". And I realised that I had really nothing to hand anyone their ass with. I don't mean that in a girly way. I mean that in a "may the best man win" way. You know what I mean?

But is Corgan's guitar still on Samantha?

No, no, no, no, no. The cello that you do hear is a really hot Chinese girl with an amazing rack and insanely good hair who is a fucking heavy metal goddess on cello, Tina Guo. Look her up. I tell you, you will not be able to look away. She is hot.

How would you characterise the themes and sound of the album?

[... some stuff about how she won't talk about what her songs are about but she lives in the moment and doesn't do the same thing twice ... ]

Corgan overthinks. And I love Corgan - he's saved my life twice, physically. We dated a long time ago. A lot of great songs that he wrote are based on letters and shit between us. But, when I overthink, I fuck it up.

She also mentioned how she finds social networking sites as addictive as drugs, and how her and Frances Bean quit Twitter at the same time. Oh, and she knows her spelling is terrible on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd be surprised if all 11 EP's see the light of day to be honest.

The first one is scheduled to be released, limited to 10,000 copies. That comes with 2 extra songs on a 7", fancy packaging and a marble obelisk. Truly for the mental fanboy, especially at 27. I would expect any further releases to follow a similar fashion.

Any news is sporadic and usually with vague timelines, so don't expect a 3 year plan with exact dates appearing any time soon.