aberdeen-music

Sixty Eight new reasons to visit The Moorings. Our mega bottled beer selection.

Flash@TMB

Have you stopped stocking crown lager?

:(

Nope it's still there.

Changes to this month

In:

CANTILLON GUEUZE Belgium

CANTILLON ROSE DE GAMGRINUS Belgium

ORVAL Belgium

ROCHEFORT 10 Belgium

RODENBACH GRANDE CRU Belgium

WESTMALLE TRIPEL Belgium

OKOCIM JASME Poland

TYSKIE Poland

Out:

Bohemia Classica

Bohemia Regent

Schlosser Alt

Schloss Hopfenkonig

Stella

Budweiser

Peroni Red

Tooheys Extra Dry

Switched onto draught:

Moretti

La Chouffe

Bacchus Raspberry

Bacchus Cherry

We're also removing Baltika from draught as they now plan to brew it under license in the UK, but I'm sure that plenty of other pubs will now begin to stock that version. The direct replacement is Moretti from Italy which is our own personal favorite lager.

Definitely.

I usually tend to avoid beer (I don't hate the taste but standard beer doesn't do anything for me) but that stuff (Lindemans Pecheresse) was lovely. I'll no doubt be quizzing the barstaff tomorrow about anything else they can recommend along similar lines - I've taken a note to ask about lambic beers.

Quick question:

Is the new cherry beer on draft really fruity? I've had bottled Cherry kriek before and it was amazing :love:

The cherry going on draught is the same as the one we currently stock in bottles. There's likely to be a new bottled one coming soon, of a slightly different variety. The draught isn't on yet, it's taking a while to organise.

We've got another couple of new ones on bottle today, and one worth trying is Kasteel Cru from France. It's a lager made using champagne yeast. It's not as winey tasting as a lambic beer but the sparkle is EXACTLY like you get in champagne. It's quite a sweet lager similar to Moretti.

A point of information:

Lambic beer is a beer with a taste that mostly resembles white wine. It's also pretty flat like wine (and real ale). This forms the basis for many but not all fruit beers. the cherry and raspberry that we currently stock are NOT based on lambic but the peach is based on gueze (see below).

Gueze is a lambic beer that has undergone another fermentation in the bottle, and is sparkling like champagne. It's taste also mostly resembles white wine.

Lager made with champagne yeast tastes mostly like lager, just sparkles in a different way.

There have been some teething problems with the supply but another load is scheduled to arrive sometime this week.

Moretti arrived on draught and was drunk dry in only 3 days!

We should be organising the other draught beers this week.

We've been getting caught short due to sales increasing by 20% over this time last year; we're much busier than anticipated. Apologies to anyone that has been disappointed.

Excellent move in getting Tyskie in, it definitely is my beer of choice here now.

Another Polish beer to avoid like the plague is something called Tarta - it's dreadful, and tastes like week-old McEwans that was left open. And add something called Kasztelan to the list of beers to avoid - apparently it's a medal winning beer, but it tastes like..well...like the aforementioned stale McEwans beer :/

• 4 weeks later...
I was in sampling a few more beers this week.

One of the belgian ones... I forget it's name..... but was described as tart, fruity and complex on the beer list.

Tasted like balsamic vinegar to me. With quite a nice/weird aftertaste. I'm not sure if I hated it or liked it......

Tart fruity and complex would be an accurate description of a decent balsamic vinegar come to think of it. Vinegar doesn't get you pissed though ;)

balsamic vinegar. i'm with you on that one. Grand Cru, i think it is?

it's an odd one.

the honey beer is rather nice. or stick to the trappist monk juice, it's pretty good.

Grand Cru.... that was the one. I'll have to try it again to see if I like it or not.

Aye, I quite liked the trappist.... will have try the other varieties of it this weekend too.