aberdeen-music

Shitty guitarist needing help!

Kaizen

Personally I think joining a band is the best thing you can do to improve, first of all you will most likely need to work out new stuff to play with them, even if they are like minded. Secondly, getting experience of playing live is very useful, you can practice all you want but it all goes out the window once you're up on stage.

Aye, I fully agree with this. Being in a band and playing music with other people will improve you immensely.

Aye its just hard to get in a band at my age when your not very good =P I really enjoy playing and practicing and stuff. i just dont seem to get much better! haha!

It's actually much easier to get into bands when your beginning, as their are loads of other beginners with equally low standards. I'm not being an arse, but it really is simple if you actually want to do it - you shouldn't be expecting to waltz into a great band like My Mind's Weapon before you can even play 'Keep ya head on' by The Wing Ting Brothers.

I'd say by far the best way to learn how to play in a band, is to play in a band. There is a certain skill to be learned in just working together with others that only comes by doing it. You can be technically the best guitarist in the world and you'll still have plenty to learn as soon as you join a band.

I had lessons for years, but I'd say I really learned how to play when I started going along to the blues jam at the Drift Inn every Saturday afternoon. You really had to learn quick in that place if you wanted to stay on the stage. It was one step away from chicken wire... I've seen people physically hauled off the stage and booted out the door for not playing well enough. Technically they were absolutely fine, but they just weren't playing with the band, eg they'd still be widdling away like a bedroom hero when the rest of the band had broken it down to a quiet section, or they'd totally miss a cue from the singer to build it up etc etc. .

Don't worry about how many scales you know or whatever, just concentrate on taking any chance you can to play with someone else. Even if it's just one mate with an acoustic or whatever you'll still learn plenty and good stuff will follow. Most bands don't just appear fully formed, they grow and evolve over time. You've got plenty time yet...

Love to, but im a student =P cant afford such luxuries! haha! And kimy, It was easier to get a band if i was a begginer and 14. Much harder to find a bunch of begginers at 17/18. Most ppl ht play by that time have been playin for a while.

most of them will still play like beginners though 8-) I didn't start playing until I was 17, as it happens

you shouldn't be expecting to waltz into a great band like My Mind's Weapon before you can even play 'Keep ya head on' by The Wing Ting Brothers.

Even if you can play the entire Dream Theater back catalogue left handed whilst drinking rohypnol cocktails you shouldn't expect to waltz into the great band, My Mind's Weapon.

In fact, NOBODY waltzes into My Mind's Weapon. You have to moonwalk into My Mind's Weapon - such is the level of technical skill required to be in the band.

We actually have formal contracts with a clause enforcing that each member must be at least grade 1 billion at their chosen instrument.

I'd say by far the best way to learn how to play in a band, is to play in a band. There is a certain skill to be learned in just working together with others that only comes by doing it. You can be technically the best guitarist in the world and you'll still have plenty to learn as soon as you join a band.

I had lessons for years, but I'd say I really learned how to play when I started going along to the blues jam at the Drift Inn every Saturday afternoon. You really had to learn quick in that place if you wanted to stay on the stage. It was one step away from chicken wire... I've seen people physically hauled off the stage and booted out the door for not playing well enough. Technically they were absolutely fine, but they just weren't playing with the band, eg they'd still be widdling away like a bedroom hero when the rest of the band had broken it down to a quiet section, or they'd totally miss a cue from the singer to build it up etc etc. .

Don't worry about how many scales you know or whatever, just concentrate on taking any chance you can to play with someone else. Even if it's just one mate with an acoustic or whatever you'll still learn plenty and good stuff will follow. Most bands don't just appear fully formed, they grow and evolve over time. You've got plenty time yet...

Sound advice from the Man of Frost.

I'd been a bedroom guitarist for years and got the fright of my life when I tried to jam with folks at Cpt Toms - a real wake up call. Calling my playing "shite" on those occasions would have been flattery

Now, "me and the boys" get together at least 3 times a week and the progress we've all made is remarkable.

Get yourself in a band and don't be overawed by 14-year-old widdlers in music shops.

Paul

Ps - if you don't mind being in the company of old farts, maybe you can jam with us some day :up:

• 3 months later...