aberdeen-music

George Burley

Shaki

Anyone have faith in the man to continue where Big Eck left off? I'm not sure that I do. I don't know what that is based on but I've just got a bad feeling. Time will tell I guess.

7 championship players in his latest squad. It seems playing for Derby gets you an automatic call up irrespective of nationality. Can't see any glaring ommissions of fit players but there's some questionable additions...........

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Commons and Barr given Scots call

Guest idol_wild

I find it hard to care much about the national team if I'm honest.

I did see Burley entering Glasgow Central train station last weekend though.

He didn't look as boozy as I suspected he would.

Eck is a terrible manager and bottled it in Georgia.

The problem in Georgia wasn't so much the manager, it was the old firm players that called off sick then miraculously recovered for the league game a couple of days later.

Though I suppose the argument could be made that McLeish should have used the rule forbidding players from appearing in a domestic game if they pull out of an international squad through injury.

I am 100% behind him. Massive improvements in play, tactics and enthusiasm in the friendlies against Croatia and Czech Republic; despite the results. Really looking forward to Scotland attacking teams this year and playing the ball on the deck, instead of the long ball, defensive dross that we were playing when Walter Smith was Manager.

Some surprises in the squad, but these are players that he'd like to see in person before calling up for competitive games; so fair play. Glad he has the bottle to drop McCulloch and Dailly for their recent performances, as well as bench warmers O'Connor and Maloney.

Can't wait for the qualifiers :love:

think he's a decent manager and he will do a good job for scotland

i agree with idol_wild though about actually caring about the national team, if they do well then thats fine but really don't care either way.

lets face it i could never cheer on the crab or any of the other scum that line up for scotland :puke:

think he's a decent manager and he will do a good job for scotland

i agree with idol_wild though about actually caring about the national team, if they do well then thats fine but really don't care either way.

lets face it i could never cheer on the crab or any of the other scum that line up for scotland :puke:

All players are granted club/dickhead amnesty from me when they don the Scotland jersey. I love the national team more than the Dons by an emotional mile. My fear about Burley is solely based on "something about him" so I hope RossP is right. If we win in Macedonia and Iceland I'll be absolutely delighted. Mon the Scotland. Hope we spank Northern Ireland at Hampden too.

All players are granted club/dickhead amnesty from me when they don the Scotland jersey. I love the national team more than the Dons by an emotional mile. My fear about Burley is solely based on "something about him" so I hope RossP is right. If we win in Macedonia and Iceland I'll be absolutely delighted. Mon the Scotland. Hope we spank Northern Ireland at Hampden too.

Aye, I think realistically we need 4 points at the very least against Macedonai and Iceland. Everyone seems to be forgetting Macedonia are a decent side and are hard to beat at home - England couldn't do it, and I think they beat Croatia there too.

Burley has done a good job so far, trying out Championship players in friendlies isn't a bad idea, the bigger the squad we have to choose from the better. My only worry is that our probable competitive starting XI haven't played together recently. Still, bring on the qualifiers, I think there's something far wrong if you're not bothered about your own national team.

Guest idol_wild
I have a nasty feeling about the forthcoming qualifiers.........

And really... Callum Davidson......... christ.

I'm sort of with you, but apparently he played very well for Preston at the tail end of last season. I always thought Davidson was a pretty decent performer.

2nd in the group should be easily obtained, and thankfully, there's a lot of weak teams that we could potentially end up against - Russia is really the only team that I can see being a serious threat amongst the second seeds. I actually quite fancy the chances of Burley in pulling off a shock and beating Holland at home, but I dare say they'll crush us on goal difference alone in the grorup.

It has to be said, I don't like the format of these qualifiers - the system used for Euro 2008 was far preferable, as it was a straightforward race to qualify. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same again - 53 teams, 13 places...so you could have 7 groups, top two qualify from each group, except the two worst performing 2nd place teams who would playoff for that final spot. As it stands, the current system places far, far too much weight on obtaining a result against minnows and (I think) ruins the qualifying race as it lessens the competition.