aberdeen-music

New Ascension Song + Intro!

Rickicaz1279

What some people don't seem to understand is that not everyone splits metal into loads of pedantic sub-genres. Ascension are a metal band; there are loads of metal bands all over the place.

But the majority of those people who refuse to split metal into pedantic sub-genres are non-metal fans who (often hypocritically) split up their own musical tastes into equally pedantic sub-genres. Furthermore, power metal is a particularly infamous sub-genre-of-metal with certain idiosyncrasies that general metal fans either love or hate. i.e. A lot of broad-minded metal fans will listen to all sorts of metal except power metal. Conversely a lot of power metal fans listen to nothing but power metal. Regardless of whether you think ascension are brilliant or atrocious, I think they at least need to be judged as being a power metal band, and pretty much the only in Aberdeen at that. Of course I could be the only guy in Aberdeen who dresses up as Harry Potter and plays samples of animals being raped to the tune of popular TV game shows....

Try telling Jake or Scorge that they are simply in a "metal" band and lumping them in with emo bands, and see how long it is before they rip you a new asshole. The fact is they probably want to be as far removed as possible from a term as broad as "metal", but if you want to ignore subgenres and break it down into simple facts, you've got someone screaming over loud distorted guitars and drums which is no different to the pant-wetting-fringe-brigade. Your Gran would probably think that too.

I'm not having a go at you, and I'm not defending or criticising any of the bands I have mentioned above. I'm merely pointing out that I think bands who consider themselves in sub-genres such as Power metal, Grind, Thrash, Death metal, Black metal, Doom etc etc don't deserve to be labelled pedantic and lumped into one general bucket of odds-n-sods metal.

Nah, I just don't think that because one metal (or whatever genre) band sounds slightly different from the next, they warrant a whole new genre.

But that's the thing, you're using the word "slightly" as if the only difference between the bands is that one tunes to E and the other to Eb.

Iron Maiden are a metal band. Cannibal Corpse are a metal band. Are you trying to tell me that these bands only sound slightly different and therefore don't need separate sub-genres?

Iron Maiden are a metal band. Cannibal Corpse are a metal band. Are you trying to tell me that these bands only sound slightly different and therefore don't need separate sub-genres?

I reckon it's all subjective depending on how interested you are in denominating genres of music. I've personally stopped giving two hoots recently, because you should enjoy whatever music you like without feeling the need to pigeonhole it.

Blimey, I'm getting sensible in my old age.

:up:

PS: What is punk?

But that's the thing, you're using the word "slightly" as if the only difference between the bands is that one tunes to E and the other to Eb.

haha, the thing is I've heard stuff from supposedly different genres where literally the only difference is the tuning. cannibal corpse and iron maiden sound more than slightly different of course but yeah I'd be quite happy just to call them both metal bands. I'd be quite happy to call iron maiden a rock band. The bottom line is that the band in this particular thread is very generic and no more than slightly different from a load of other bands in and around Aberdeen.

I reckon it's all subjective depending on how interested you are in denominating genres of music. I've personally stopped giving two hoots recently, because you should enjoy whatever music you like without feeling the need to pigeonhole it.

Blimey, I'm getting sensible in my old age.

PS: What is punk?

That's a much shorter/better way of saying pretty much what I was attempting to get across. :up: (and punk is an attitude rather than a genre of music if you ask me... lets save that one for a rainy day...)

And you'll be laughed out the door because it's a punk band.

Exactly, that's kinda my point! But to less informed ears you might just be "another noisy shouty metal band lolz". And similarly, Ascension appear to wish to be regarded as a power metal band - as opposed to being lumped in with bands/genres that to their ears they sound very different from.

Ah, never mind anyway. Lets all sit back, have a cup of consumable-liquid (wouldn't want to get into specific sub-genres of beverages) and listen to some "rock music". Am I talking about Meatloaf or Discordance Axis... who knows, it's all the same bloody thing these days :D

lol way off topic now, but nevermind!

anyway, theres always going to be people who like your band/dont like your band

what i will say is if you are going to pass judgement on us, it was probably quite stupid of me to expect an accurate analysis based on our bedroom-recordings on myspace.

as carnagecamca said where we shine the best is Live, and i think all of you need to come to a recent Ascension gig, ( forget about old ones ) just to see for yourself, because Live music is where its at these days, fuck recordings etc! so on that note, heres a few you can pop along to

22/09/08 @ The tunnels w/ Thrashist Regime, Downfall, Bloodnut

03/10/08 @ The vale ( Glasgow ) w/ Fuck knows

09/10/08 @ Moshulu w/ Enrapture and others ( Red battle 08 )

17/11/08 @ Snafu, POSSIBLY w/ swordmaster ( see fudge promotions listings )

12/12/08 @ The soundhaus ( Glasgow ) possibly w/ Attica Rage

Put up a shut up, come and see us live

haha, the thing is I've heard stuff from supposedly different genres where literally the only difference is the tuning. cannibal corpse and iron maiden sound more than slightly different of course but yeah I'd be quite happy just to call them both metal bands. I'd be quite happy to call iron maiden a rock band. The bottom line is that the band in this particular thread is very generic and no more than slightly different from a load of other bands in and around Aberdeen.

that rubbish tho, they sound nothing like most aberdeen metal bands, show me one track from another aberdeen band that sounds simialr to them.

or how about this: MySpace.com - DeadMetal - Aberdeen, UK - Metal - www.myspace.com/deadmetal07 (which I found by clicking on a forum member with 'metal' in his username, in the 'online now' bit...

and like I said, if you care to look an hour south of the sprawling metropolis of aberdeen you find swordmaster and plenty of others

or how about this: MySpace.com - DeadMetal - Aberdeen, UK - Metal - www.myspace.com/deadmetal07 (which I found by clicking on a forum member with 'metal' in his username, in the 'online now' bit...

and like I said, if you care to look an hour south of the sprawling metropolis of aberdeen you find swordmaster and plenty of others

again thats not even similar.

Two very different types of metal.

to me thats like saying greenday and blink 182 are exactly the same because they both play punk music.

greenday and blink 182 are/were very similar. I'm not suggesting ascension are the exact same as black atom, deadmetal, swordmaster etc merely not very different, as some have suggested in this thread, I would have thought it would be taken for granted that bands should sound a little bit different to one another.

greenday and blink 182 are/were very similar. I'm not suggesting ascension are the exact same as black atom, deadmetal, swordmaster etc merely not very different, as some have suggested in this thread, I would have thought it would be taken for granted that bands should sound a little bit different to one another.

again tho you'd be wrong blink and greenday are nothing alike appart from they both use guitars and sing. Its two very different styles that maybe come under the same genre, just like there are many different types of metal music you dont just lump them all together and write it off as being pishy metal.

again tho you'd be wrong blink and greenday are nothing alike appart from they both use guitars and sing.

hahaha, you are taking the piss now right? ?(

also, I didn't say anything about 'writing it off' as 'pishy'. I happen to dislike the ascension song i listened to; that doesn't mean I don't like any of the other stuff I mentioned.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Live music is where its at these days, fuck recordings etc!

I'm not having this either, that's bollocks. Too many "bands" round here don't bother with recordings other than shitty Cryspace MP3's, do a handful of local gigs and then fold in a sea of extreme indifference. As much as Weapon do fuck all musically for me, at least they put in the time and effort to release things. A release leaves something tangible.