Entry In Advance 8.00 + bf via

http://booking.triptychfestival.com/booking.html

OR

Via 1UP Records, Belmont Street, Aberdeen Phone 01224 642682

OR

Cash on the door 9.50

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

Magik Markers (Ecstatic Peace)

Magik Markers are a noise rock band from Hartford, Connecticut. The members, Elisa Ambrogio, Pete Nolan and Leah Quimby started the band in their basement in 2001. After opening for Sonic Youth on their American tour in 2004, the band gained notoriety. Their debut album, I Trust My Guitar, Etc... (released in vinyl only), was released in 2005 on Thurston Moore's Ecstatic Peace label. In 2006, they released A Panegyric To The Things I Do Not Understand under Gulcher Records, the Markers' first proper CD. Also in 2006, the band recorded a session for Southern records' Latitudes series, which was released as The Voldoror Dance. Leah Quimby left in May 2006.

Various people filled in before they eventually settled as a duo comprised of original members Pete and Elisa. Julie Tomlinson was picked up in 2007 to handle keyboard and bass duties on tour. Their latest album Boss, produced by Lee Ranaldo, was released September 2007

http://www.myspace.com/theemagikmarquers

Reviews

Pitchfork BOSS review 7.5/10

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/45781-boss

Dusted Magazine

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/3864

Tiny Mix Tapes

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Magik-Markers,4414

Spacelab

http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/2007/11November/MusicReview-01-MagikMarkers

Human Bell (Thrill Jockey)

Dave Heumann and Nathan Bell's gorgeous guitar duets form instrumental canvas painted in the warm colored hues of folk and rock music, and simultaneously a blank canvas for the listeners themselves to paint. Their songs are delicately crafted with an immaculate clarity, expressiveness, and most of all, openness. Nathan Bell has recorded with more than a dozen bands in the last decade. Most known for playing bass in Lungfish from 1996 to 2003, he has also worked with P.W. Long, Mighty Flashlight and Television Hill. Dave Heumann has also played with Cass McCombs, Bonnie Prince Billy and Anomoanon, in addition to his work as leader of Arbouretum. Their official debut album Human Bell was mixed by John McEntire at Soma EMS in Chicago. They have just started a US tour supporting IMP favourites BOREDOMS their debut Triptych dates are going to be special.

http://www.myspace.com/humanbell

Reviews

Times on line 4/5

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/cd_reviews/article3246020.ece

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/4060

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=72587

The Kitchen Cynics

"Kitchen Cynics...a riddle wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a buttery. Having been loft-bound for a couple of decades, Alan Davidson began inflicting himself on the listening public in 2003, and has limped stoically onwards ever since. Support slots with the likes of Julian Cope, Terry Reid, the Handsome Family, the Incredible String Band etc have ensued, plus occasional forays to the USA, with three sessions for WFMU, a handful of New York gigs and an appearance at the Terrastock Festival. 2007 saw Kitchen Cynics produce 'a Tune-a-Day' which was exhausting but fun. Now recovered, he's the outsider who's on the way back in." An inspirational performer who connects with audiences with his warm, dry & humorous anecdotes. His live 2008 debut is a fitting way to to start the last Triptych Festival in Aberdeen.

http://www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

"Music that sounds like its emanating from a very old phonograph, fitting for this sort of moody folk pop impressionism"

(Ptolemaic Terrascope UK)

"Often the feeling is like a sort of personal Celtic blues; but there is magic, and deep mystery too." (Dream Magazine USA)

Should be good for some huffingly good freakout fun.

will be even better than that.......

here some more on Human Bell

Nathan Bell and Dave Heumann first started playing music togther sometime after the start of '99 and definitely before the end of '01. It was soon apparent that they'd hit upon a winning combination - they found an unusual synergy of writing styles that has enabled them, at times, to compose a whole album's worth of songs together in the course of a leisurely afternoon. The style of music that they found themselves playing defies categorization, but has been described by listeners as containing aspects of minimalism, pre-war american blues/folk, and middle eastern and african musics. Throughout the past two years, Human Bell has played shows with: the Silver Jews, Bonnie Prince Billy, Joe Lally (ex- Fugazi), Endless Boogie, Warmer Milks, Aminadab, Sir Richard Bishop, Jackie-O MF, Autumn Defense (members of Wilco), Asa Irons ( Feathers & Witch ), Otto Hauser ( Espers ), and Tara Jane O'Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the only chance to see the Magik Markers in Aberdeen

"[...] the live act of guitarist and singer Elisa Ambrogio and drummer Pete Nolan is constantly fascinating. Their commanding stage presence steamrolls over musical gaps that, without the visceral visuals, might stick out awkwardly on record.

So it figures that, to make an album that holds attention the way their shows do, Magik Markers would have to channel their rambling spontaneity into more conventional tunes. What's so great about Boss is that even though it is more structured and song-oriented than any previous effort, the band's fiery, scraggly approach remains intact. Paradoxically, by restricting their options (and, coincidentally, losing bassist Leah Quimby), the band has made its music even more open and free.

Such discipline has also made Magik Markers' sound more diverse. Their improv-based records sometimes got stuck in a narrow range of noises, but while BOSS may be a bona-fide rock album, there's lots of different stuff happening here: straight up rockers, punk rants, country-ish acoustics, and even an aching piano ballad. And each has an energy and authority that matches the band's live show.

That said, Boss isn't a complete split from the band's past. They have veered toward straight rock in the midst of some of their noise jams before, and many tracks here evoke the post-Sonic Youth clang of 2005's I Trust My Guitar Etc. But there's definitely something new going on, and most of it comes from the seductive voice and lyrics of Ambrogio. She's always been a deserving attention-getter, but here her talents seem wider and sharper. Her singing primarily evokes Patti Smith, as do her words, which deftly use rhyme to build intangible meaning. [...]"-Marc Masters, Pitchfork Media

Question - is Human Bell the same band as The Human Bell? lepeep posted about the latter a wee while ago and they were pretty good...

I can endorse that 100% as being the very same band; also this week just finished 7nights supporting fellow Thrill Jockey artists BOREDOMS...... gonna be a night full of thrills

magik markers are amazing live, great to see them in aberdeen

& lest we don't forget The Kitchen Cynics are legendary, so much so they have been invited to the Triptych all star final bash in Glasgow on the Sunday night. A very worthy reward for someone who maintains the admiration of all of those who have witnessed his live performances. What better way to start the final Triptych weekend in Aberdeen.

A great night in prospect..................

& lest we don't forget The Kitchen Cynics are legendary, so much so they have been invited to the Triptych all star final bash in Glasgow on the Sunday night. A very worthy reward for someone who maintains the admiration of all of those who have witnessed his live performances. What better way to start the final Triptych weekend in Aberdeen.

A great night in prospect..................

AND...it's the Cynics first show of 2008 if I'm not mistaken...

we've missed you Alan! :king:

*pats self on the back for sending Chilli & Offramp the drugs and loose women*

Seriously though.....thank you very much!! It is indeed the first Kitchen Cynics one of 2008 (apart from a few songs at the Kilau open-mike to get rid of some rustiness).

I'll be joined by Beth & Duncan for a few songs (and possibly by another occasional Cynic).

For the Glasgow one it'll be mostly solo (but, hopefully, Rory McIntyre might join in near the end).

(Also....2 new Kitchen Cynics CD-Rs will be available at the gigs.....but don't let that put you off!)

Magik Markers LIVE review from October last year......

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2007

Live!: Magik Markers (featuring Ben Chasny)

Sunset Tavern

October 10, 2007

Seattle, WA

The Sunset was glowing red, and if not for a small but packed crowd dressed in their darkest colors the room would have been glowing. I found a place to settle in the back while watching the Magik Markers set up. Considering one can only fawn over Elisa for so long, I began to direct my attention to Chasny--the evening's honorary Marker. I've had the pleasure of speaking w/ Mr. Chasny a few times in the past but this evening I decided--at least at that moment--to be at the Sunset Tavern as nothing more than a fan. I made sure to blend in the crowd and avoid any knowing glances.

The Markers began their blistering set with a distortion-riddled "Taste," destroying the memory of BOSS' less abrasive version. Chasny was a storm on guitar, continually pounding the strings with an arm like a piston as his eyes were focused on watching Elisa's cabaret.

In this moment, I came to realize just how many folks tend to leave out talk of Pete Nolan, who deserves praise for his drumming chops and ability to translate the fury of Animal into a focused synergy of arms, sticks and drums. I found a spot closer to the stage to catch glimpses of his work and after the onslaught of "Axis Mundi" I was happy I did.

The show finished with "Body Rot" as scenesters and diehards alike danced in unison to the ferocious punk tribute. Sadly, the Markers were only able to fit a handful of jams and songs into their 45 minutes on stage. Why they yielded for headliner Kinski I do not know. I could watch the Markers play for hours--the shows are electric. Elisa and Pete have always been able to grab a crowd and never let go, and with the help of Ben and an unidentified female keyboardist, the set was another unique triumph for the duo.

Sorry forgot to post this to the relevent thread, however very delighted to see one Aberdeen event gets the thumbs-up

:up: :up:

This is probably your only chance to see MM's in Aberdeen.

Guardian preview Triptych Festival

from Saturdays Guide

An impressive three-centre event, Triptych is the major Scottish festival that makes its home not in a big field, but in the left field. Now in its eighth year, what the event's mixture of gigs and cinema presentations lacks in geographical unity, it makes up for in a singularity of purpose: simply by picking the best alternative acts. Particular high points would have to include the brilliant guitarist James Blackshaw, the newly "gone techno" math rock of Four Tet and the GREAT Thurston Moore-favoured duo Magik Markers, but a big event will be a much-anticipated gig by the reformed Sebadoh. A band noted particularly for Lou Barlow's output of quality troubled relationship songs, "troubled relationship" would also nicely account for the conditions in the group. A volatile mix of Barlow's introspection, Eric Gaffney's bizarre sound explosions, and Jason Loewenstein's spiky tunefulness, if only for a short time, it's great to see that they've been reconciled.

Various venues, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Fri 25 to Apr 27