aberdeen-music

[GIG] Triptych: Magik Markers + Human Bell + The Kitchen Cynics @ The Tunnels

chilli

I'm happy for you not to like or enjoy them but to call anything utter shite is much more dangerous, subjective and lazy. MM are a noise band, I though they made a good job of making a noise and I enjoyed watching them do so. Not shite.

Of course it's subjective - a person's taste in music is entirely subjective! I'm not sure what you mean by dangerous and lazy, though. I enjoy my fair share of far-out stuff, but they did absolutely nothing for me. I'm not some ignoramus who walked in expecting to hear 3-minute pop songs. I'm an open-minded individual who stayed for their whole set and then made an assessment of their performance. As such, I'll call them whatever the fuck I like, thanks.

Of course it's subjective - a person's taste in music is entirely subjective! I'm not sure what you mean by dangerous and lazy, though. I enjoy my fair share of far-out stuff, but they did absolutely nothing for me. I'm not some ignoramus who walked in expecting to hear 3-minute pop songs. I'm an open-minded individual who stayed for their whole set and then made an assessment of their performance. As such, I'll call them whatever the fuck I like, thanks.

I'm sure if someone didn't like/enjoy your band you'd prefer some reasonable/rational reason rather that just "they're shite". Surely being open minded and having watched their whole set this isn't beyond you either. Anybody who is good at what they do can't be shite, you may not like them but they're still good at it.

So you'd be happy with a review of No Pasaran or 1864 In Art that said "they're shite"?

... 1864 In Art that said "they're shite"?

Erk, that name is for a start! :dunce:

The reason I didn't like what I heard was because there seemed to be no relation between the drums, the samples and the guitar other than that they were being played on the same stage.

I get the feeling that they could have played anything and some people would have been happy.

Guest bluesxman

Since when has it been a crime for people to express a negative opinion on an act they have seen? One persons good at what they do is anothers shite. One opinion is no more valid than the other.

See feedback for Michael Giras support slot following the Boredoms gig and resulting outcry, similar scenario (although I notice Is This Music? gave that particular performance a resounding thumbs down also, however, Im sure that source is not of suitable credibility on such matters). sacred cows, etc.

Since when has it been a crime for people to express a negative opinion on an act they have seen? One persons good at what they do is anothers shite. One opinion is no more valid than the other.

See feedback for Michael Giras support slot following the Boredoms gig and resulting outcry, similar scenario (although I notice Is This Music? gave that particular performance a resounding thumbs down also, however, Im sure that source is not of suitable credibility on such matters). sacred cows, etc.

it's not the negative reviews though, is it? it's just the "they're shite" comments - it's hardly constructive criticism. All that does is make promoters downhearted and feel their work has been pointless - maybe if people gave constructive reviews or comments and made suggestions for bands they like then those bands would be more likely to be booked in future.

Personally, I loved MM - and I liked Gira as well - but that's maybe because I buy loads of MM cdr's and vinyl and because I'm a Swans fan as well. I suppose in some ways my "it's great" attitude is as much relevance as "they're shite" but it's less likely to irk people or get their backs up - and, as you said, my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

I dunno if there's a point here - maybe just that in a small niche market for gigs like this people appreciate more constructive criticism and feedback.

I just thought the Magik Markers were utter shite and it doesn't sound like they were particularly nice people, either.

They came across this way in Glasgow - at least to me they did anyway. They were told that they were out of time and seemed to go in a bit of a huff, but played one more anyway. We (the crowd) were then told that we had to, "create a mood, yeah". I didn't enjoy them.

Erk, that name is for a start! :dunce:

The reason I didn't like what I heard was because there seemed to be no relation between the drums, the samples and the guitar other than that they were being played on the same stage.

I get the feeling that they could have played anything and some people would have been happy.

But that's what they sound like - to me, seeing them live made more sense than on record, whether I'd have been happy if they'd played "anything" is another matter (i'd have been fucked off if they'd played a set of 80s hair metal cover versions for example).

But that's what they sound like - to me, seeing them live made more sense than on record, whether I'd have been happy if they'd played "anything" is another matter (i'd have been fucked off if they'd played a set of 80s hair metal cover versions for example).

I meant so long as they turned up and made a noise.

Guest bluesxman
it's not the negative reviews though, is it? it's just the "they're shite" comments - it's hardly constructive criticism. All that does is make promoters downhearted and feel their work has been pointless - maybe if people gave constructive reviews or comments and made suggestions for bands they like then those bands would be more likely to be booked in future.

Personally, I loved MM - and I liked Gira as well - but that's maybe because I buy loads of MM cdr's and vinyl and because I'm a Swans fan as well. I suppose in some ways my "it's great" attitude is as much relevance as "they're shite" but it's less likely to irk people or get their backs up - and, as you said, my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

I dunno if there's a point here - maybe just that in a small niche market for gigs like this people appreciate more constructive criticism and feedback.

Ive discovered a lot of great music through IMPs gigs over the past few years (although Ive had less gig going time available lately Low Lows the night though, nae bad) and have always gave an honest opinion of the gigs, some I liked, some I never, some I was somewhere in between, lately it feels like you cant express a negative opinion, its not a personal thing at all and shouldnt be taken as such. I get what you are saying about constructive criticism, but Ive been there myself, seen bands I thought were awful and couldnt muster up a better opinion than shite, ah well.

I hated Gira but ended up buying a couple of the later Swans albums out of interest and enjoyed them. I wasnt at MMs so cant comment there, havent actually heard them, although the gig pre-amble had me almost in attendance but it was not to be due to other commitments.

Ive discovered a lot of great music through IMPs gigs over the past few years (although Ive had less gig going time available lately Low Lows the night though, nae bad) and have always gave an honest opinion of the gigs, some I liked, some I never, some I was somewhere in between, lately it feels like you cant express a negative opinion, its not a personal thing at all and shouldnt be taken as such. I get what you are saying about constructive criticism, but Ive been there myself, seen bands I thought were awful and couldnt muster up a better opinion than shite, ah well.

I think we're quite happy to take negative criticism / opinions - any debate is good debate - but when it get's to the level of just 'shite', then yes I would say that is lazy, but entirely your perogative.

You're missing my point.

They were booked and promoted by imp for Triptych as a noise rock band, so any surprise or complaint that they 'played noise' is unjustified, in my opinion - that's all.

I'm not, you're missing my point!

I like some noisy shit, but there is good and bad noisy shit. For various reasons I thought MM's weren't good, not because they made a noise, but just because I thought they were crap at it!

I don't think anyone was expecting some sweet pop symphonies and that is not what is being talked about here.

• Upvote 1

I'm not, you're missing my point!

I like some noisy shit, but there is good and bad noisy shit. For various reasons I thought MM's weren't good, not because they made a noise, but just because I thought they were crap at it!

I don't think anyone was expecting some sweet pop symphonies and that is not what is being talked about here.

I'm glad we've cleared that up then...:up:

and created two new noise sub-genres to boot 8-)

the word shite appears in this thread far too often & its all getting a bit too banal. Personally I would rather look forward to the "glorious" things to come in May........... :up:

Kicking off in April with the Low Lows and Crevecueor tonight at Drummonds. Who, on record, have some rather glorious noisey bits. :up: