aberdeen-music

Gigs out of Town?

mistersticks

i've modifed this from an earlier post, i think the title was a bit misleading.

anyway, does anybody know of a promoter that dosen't mind booking aberdeen bands for gigs around scotland? preferably Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee. as my band are having difficulty getting gigs in other cities by simply sending out random messages through myspace.

cheers,

derek

MySpace.com - The Marionettes - UK - Alternative / Indie / Melodramatic Popular Song - MySpace.com - The Marionettes - UK - Alternative / Indie / Melodramatic Popular Song - www.myspace.com/themarionettes

thanks so far!

whatever happened to sending cds/vinyl or any releases?

i give a band far more time of day if they do that

thats a good point actually, although perhaps i was a little unclear, we would do that but it just comes down to the fact that we're not sure of who is worth sending to, sometimes i find it difficult to distinguish between a professionals and people that do it for fun, simply judging by their myspace.

thats a good point actually, although perhaps i was a little unclear, we would do that but it just comes down to the fact that we're not sure of who is worth sending to, sometimes i find it difficult to distinguish between a professionals and people that do it for fun, simply judging by their myspace.

I think you'll find that most promoters who do it 'for fun' are about 70,000 times better to deal with than so-called professionals. It's also more likely to be better promoted, as the money is coming from their own pockets, not a business.

well maybe so, i dont want to brand them all the same, promoters that do it for fun have generally been alright in the past in aberdeen, but i've also had my share of dealings with people that have had no idea what they're doing, if i was to go to another city i would want to make sure that there was going to be minimal complications, but so far i don't know of any promoters whatsoever. the ones that have gotten back to us is a case of selling your own tickets, which isn't much use because we haven't developed much of a fan base anywhere else.

but do you think its worthwhile taking the risk? do you know of any semi-professional promoters that would be worth getting in contact with?

well maybe so, i dont want to brand them all the same, promoters that do it for fun have generally been alright in the past in aberdeen, but i've also had my share of dealings with people that have had no idea what they're doing, if i was to go to another city i would want to make sure that there was going to be minimal complications, but so far i don't know of any promoters whatsoever. the ones that have gotten back to us is a case of selling your own tickets, which isn't much use because we haven't developed much of a fan base anywhere else.

but do you think its worthwhile taking the risk? do you know of any semi-professional promoters that would be worth getting in contact with?

I wouldn't apply any 'knowledge' of promotion in Aberdeen to every other city. I'm not sure what you mean by complications, but surely any half intelligent person would be asking promoters the same questions, whether they are 'professional' or not (equipment sharing, fee, etc). If it's a case of selling your own tickets, then you're dealing with pay-to-play, a game that you'll generally lose at in every aspect, unless you have a lot of people coming to see you, or the other bands do. Which let's face it, they probably won't, otherwise why would they be doing these shitty shows?

Worthwhile taking what risk exactly? I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're referring to pay-to-play, personally I'd not do it, but at the same time, if it's the only way you can get a gig out of town, and you're desperate enough...

Without sounding like a dick, the promoters that I know/know of wouldn't really be suitable for your band.

ok maybe im exagerating, but by "risks" i mean: we've showed up to gigs to find them overbooked, and been sent home, or been told there was equipment there and there actually wasn't, been told to bring equipment which wasn't actually needed which resulted in unnessicery transport arrangements. many things like that, and it didn't really matter too much because we only live about 10 miles out of town, but what if things like that happened in other cities, it would be such a waste of time and money.

it's not about the lack of "intellegence" its because of the lack of organisation on these booking companies behalfs. don't get me wrong im well aware that proffesional promoters cock up, and the odd slip up, but in my experience (little i know) have been able to sort it out before the gig without much hassle.

i guess i just find it a bit frustrating that aberdeen is active in seeking bands from other areas, whereas other cities seem to be more fixated on on local bands.

I have to recommend

Hey there

A possible solution to your problem might be to try registering with Nessmp3.com: home

Inverness based but has reaches far beyond the borders and coastline. We have found it superb for getting our tunes radio time and to a wider audience of musicians fans and promoters. We have had numerous offers and are working on a few since we got on, also many of the artists are a great craic. The guys that run it are excellent in giving advice, pointers and names to contact. They also want more cross fertilisation (phnarrr) of bands throughout scotland and acknowledge that its difficult for smaller bands to break out of their areas unless they are in the central belt

Give it a try its free, you can upload songs, images, theres blog, features, live chat etc etc etc

Unlike nastyspace they done take just any old shite which is another bonus of the site

you want to more pm me

Cheers

Larry