aberdeen-music

Fma'08: Best Venue In Aberdeen

The Ghost Of Fudge

Didn't Snafu win an award for best nightclub earlier this year?

indeed, funny u mentioned that

thankfully we were entered into that one - the competition being more of a bob hope standard (although mo did end up in a swimming pool if i recall)

tunnels by far

remember when they gave jonothan ross a comedy award on the night he was hosting the comedy awards - tear to me eye

Possibly they have neglected the difference between the words nightclub and venue. The best nightclub in Scotland is most probably not the best venue in Scotland, or even the city it resides in. The two are similar but very different functions.

Snafu is almost certainly a better nightclub than The Tunnels. But I vastly prefer The Tunnels as a gig venue. In fact I vastly prefer Moshulu, Drummonds and Moorings as well.

Guest bluesxman

Snafu is crap for live bands if you are in the band. The access to get gear in is a nightmare. I know opinions differ but the lack of a house kit for drummers is a total pain. Especially with the layout of the place, humfing a kit through that place at 1am and having to get folk to mind the kit outside while you retrieve your car to pick it up is not fun. Im sure the venue can easily afford a drum kit in this day and age.

• Upvote 1

Snafu is crap for live bands if you are in the band. The access to get gear in is a nightmare. I know opinions differ but the lack of a house kit for drummers is a total pain. Especially with the layout of the place, humfing a kit through that place at 1am and having to get folk to mind the kit outside while you retrieve your car to pick it up is not fun. Im sure the venue can easily afford a drum kit in this day and age.

You're spot on about the drum kit.

Possibly they have neglected the difference between the words nightclub and venue

undoubtedly folks ignorance bracket us as just as nightclub.. and cosy wee awards like this prove that - just because the live acts (apart from our thursday dirty hearts club) generally tip towards the electronica side of things the leather-clad wagons roll for cover - bands like black strobe, crazy penis, zombie zombie etc couldn't work anywhere else as well - but have mass crossover appeal (folk should check our listings more often - we open early doors for all our live acts)

the total error in not originally including us is fuckin embarassing (and the fact the fudge guys are in the office as i type is quite amusing)... it's sad this strugglin city can think so inwardly at times - there's a few future (maybe current) city council elders about in here

These Snafu guys sure have an over-inflated opinion of themselves, huh?

nah we just like to think that by working together we can help promote aberdeen as a great music destination, for locals to enjoy and tourists to get out the m8 trap. By winning a national award we hope the rest of scotland doesn't just scoff at the city and that the venues - of all nature and agenda - can reap the benefits

anyway have a great ceremony - and remember to check the pool at the end of the night

the total error in not originally including us is fuckin embarassing (and the fact the fudge guys are in the office as i type is quite amusing)...

I think you read too much into this. It's fudge. We're not talking about the slickest awards operation in the world. I'm sure you weren't left out because Brian's thinking inwardly and doesn't think you're up to it. More likely he just forgot. Like they forgot about dre.

Which award was that? My memory of the event last year is somewhat hazy...

Best newcomer. He found the envelope and read out the award (Karrta) but couldn't find the prize. Later on he found the prize and tried giving it out to whoever was nearest the stage (me at the time as I was trying to tell him he'd done it already) shouting "You'll do!", eventually I just shoved Phil towards the stage.