aberdeen-music

Recommend me some post-rock!

Murrr

check out labradford. Great band. Maybe you might even like elements of the band Growing as well.

there's one labradford album that really winds me up because it starts with a really high pitched note which sounds a bit like tinnitus and is just annoying. rest of their stuff is nice though.

i have always found the people who use that site to be complete dreeps, I would go as far to say bloody depressing

Huh? I waste a lot of time there, and it's as just as bad as any other internet forum. The downloads section is absolute heaven. There's also no many forums with as wide range in taste at atpr, either.

Anyway, post rock is sham. But if we're sticking to the term, i always see there being two sides. Instrument based, and then more ambient based. Instrumental 'rock' has went up shit creek the last few years. Every band has just copied Like Herod by Mogwai, added a few glitchy beats in/bit more bass, and JAZZAM, awesome 'post rock' song! Yeah! ...No!

Rachel's, Tarentel, Maserati, Yndi Halda, Because Of Ghost, Sparrows Swarm and Sing, Tristeza, Sonna (really really great) early Grails, K.C Milian, Esmerine, The Library Tapes, Maserati, The Drift...., and then i kinda run out of things to say because everything starts to sound the same. Early eits was terrific, but now they've gone dad rock. Apart from Walking Cloud...,Mono have one good song they like to do over again. Borrring. ALTHOUGH, the split with WEG is mind blowingly good. And Godspeed, even after all the wanking over, are a superb band. I prefer Mt. Zion though.

If you're interested in the more ambient side of stuff, you would do no harm in checking out the likes of Eluvium (seriously, it's impossible not to like this guy), Helios, Stars of the Lid, Belong...etc etc...and if you dig then you're open to a whole newwww area.

Here's a nice list of the best records of this year that might interest you;

The Silent Ballet | The Top 50 Releases of 2007

And labradford are great.

Guest Steven Dedalus
there's one labradford album that really winds me up because it starts with a really high pitched note which sounds a bit like tinnitus and is just annoying. rest of their stuff is nice though.

That's the one that translates as "My Half of the Orange".

I remember listening to that with Michael when we both had a hangover. Not reccomended.

My favourite post-rock album is "Close to the Edge" by Yes.

Oh yeah, they're prog, not post-rock.

*Steven Dedalus walks into the sunset, muttering "It's the same bloody difference...."*

Huh? I waste a lot of time there, and it's as just as bad as any other internet forum. The downloads section is absolute heaven. There's also no many forums with as wide range in taste at atpr, either.

there is one thing worse than people who talk about post rock music; people who talk about it too much

id also add rumah sakit to your list, they make post rock interesting

without being a bit of a spamming nob my label have just released a 16 track compilation of our favourite progressive/experimental bands.

MySpace.com - Brew Records - UK - Progressive / Progressive / Progressive - www.myspace.com/brewrecords

so if you are wanting to hear some ace post-rock check out some of the bands on their like Vessels and These Monsters and if you want something a bit heavier Humanfly are awesome. Or if you like shoegaze music there's i Concur. all in our top friends.

Please at least check out the bands who are in our top friends.

don't think i do.

most of the bands are very different but also very good.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at Brew - some awesome stuff on there, especially Manatees and the fabulous Humanfly - great stuff!

What I MEANT was so many bands of this genre sound very similar - GY!BE, while great, have alot to answer for!

I highly recommend 5ive - crushing, heavy post-rock with Godflesh-esque undertones. Not just ANOTHER fucking Isis rip-off!