aberdeen-music

Festival anyone?

How did that thing happen a couple of years ago on Belmont Street? i remember Liber8 and Masaimune playing or something?

Like, who organised it? I know it wasnt a festival (3 bands on belmont st) but surely its going to be alot more plausable, and more people are likely to actually go?

Guest highroller

I think you are wrong man. I agree with Lucifer on this about the commitment. Im not saying it isnt do-able but i think theres ALOT more than meets the eye. In fact i KNOW. I really have spent weeks researching this and have had a few meetings to do with it as well.

Be honest...who can say that they have organised something remotely like this that hasnt already got the backing of a council,association or even tradition....

i'd love to be proven wrong...but the council woul;d want a security firm to be there...well thats shit loads of money already.....hire of toilets....a stage....proper barrier hire...outdoor p.a. (how much would that cost alone),lighting......you get my drift!

It depends on the size of the gig though. A small gig for a couple of hundred people with the band playing on the back of a trailer with a small PA and lighting rig and some portaloos wouldn't be that hard to organise, I don't see how anyone would make any money off it though.

Yeah it sounds pretty smart. I dont know. I hear a lot of pessimism yeah. We'll see. I'd be happy to help organise something if it meant a lot of people coming to an outdoor gig of some description. That thing on Belmont Street sounds a better idea than the others. I'm sure there'd be a good few bands willing to play! Especially Subsidian!

it all depends on the size of thing and the reasons you're organising it as to whether it's a difficult thing to organise. everyone knows someone who's got a field and someone who's got a PA system or a generator and if you just want to have a few bands in a field in the middle of nowhere for your own amusement, then it's not gonna be that hard to organise, but if you're wanting to do it really big in terms of crowds and having a good equipment set up etc, then you'll need to spend money which means you'll need to make money from tickets and as soon as you're charging people, there's a degree of responsibility for their safety which brings with it the need for security and toilet facilities etc.

back in 2001 me, bigbad, chris, dave, the AUBL guys, ben etc looked into organising an all dayer at the beach ballroom and it was basically scrapped because the costs were so high we'd have needed to pull a massive crowd which local bands couldn't have managed to pull. image that problem minus the cost of renting the venue but plus the cost of constructing a stage outdoors which is useable in all weathers so as to avoid killing people via electrocution or having to cancel at the slightest hint of rain

i'm not bein pessimistic here, just realistic. people have outdoor festivals all the time and it's doable, but you need some serious organisatinal stuff going on for a long time before and if you're doing it seriously, you need working capital to get the project off the ground in the first place.

set up a committee now, organise a series of fundraising gigs throughout the next 12 months and begingn liasing with the council to get the thing organised for next summer and you're in with a pretty good chance of getting it done.

spoons

X

What about getting a touring band to play say second maybe on the bill (like Drakes does it's sometimes better to leave a local band headlining)?

How do people think that would affect the turnout and profit margin? I say this thinking of the proposed Clutch/SiKth/Johnny Truant etc. Saturday planned at Moshulu?

yea, what spoonie said.

:)

the other reason the beach ballroom thing was scrapped was because the local media were completely and wholly unsupportive. our final attempt to get some funding for it wasn't even considered by the evening express. we sent a very professional press release to them appealing for local business and corporations to come forward to meet with us to discuss the possibilities of sponsorship and they refused to print it. despite the fact that the whole reason we were setting up the gig was to raise money for charity and to actually facilitate the starting of a non-profit organisation that would raise money for charities like the foyer. even with that motivation we still couldn't get support from local business' or the media. they just do not want to know.

the thing in belmont street was part of the belmont street fresher's fair which is organised every september by the pubs and shops on belmont street. always a good laugh and usually very successful.

now, as for the current situation where you want to have a festival. it can be done, but not on any big scale. at the moment your best bet is a trailer in a field and a generator. i believe bands from stonehaven and laurencekirk have all done this before. even just a flat bed truck might do it. would be fun but wouldn't beon a big scale. if you want to do it on a big scale you have to be seriously organised and ready for some stress. and you need to start now for next year. no reason why you can't do it, but it'll be tough and will be largely thankless. just don't count on the support of the media.

incidentally does anyone have any ideas how we can get the media in aberdeen to sit up and take some notice of what's happening right in front of them? they're fully prepared to send people to report no highland league or even junior football but won't send people to watch gigs that attract bigger crowds. what gives?

Originally posted by daveofficer:

incidentally does anyone have any ideas how we can get the media in aberdeen to sit up and take some notice of what's happening right in front of them? they're fully prepared to send people to report no highland league or even junior football but won't send people to watch gigs that attract bigger crowds. what gives?

No offence to anyone, but to the local media, we're all a buncha freaky Goths.

yea, so what can be done to change that opinion? it's really annoyed me for the last 6 years. and the only reason driveblind got any coverage was cause one of them worked for the p and j. maybe they need to hire someone specifically to cover the music scene. and not just for one quarter page column a week.

Guest highroller

and maybe the fact that their brand of music is still one of the only forms largely accepted by the british public as a whole...no slight on them as they are an awesome band but you get my point...

yea but why not cover the other bands playing that as well then like lady mercedes? or the acoustic artists? or the emo bands?:p

i really do think the main reason is just because one of them worked for the p and j. every article they got on their return had him captioned as "former press and journal employee". obviously the fact they've done quite well in america helps and fair play to them. but even before then they were getting ridiculous amounts of press from the p and j.

that's by the by anyway. it still doesn't explain why they refuse to acknowledge what happens in aberdeen. or even support it any way other than a listings page. that goes for fucking northsound as well. surely it's the local papers obligation when it has a virtual monopoly to cover areas of high interest to the public. and there is just as much interest in gigs as there is in highland league football. and i genuinely believe the only way they could do it justice is to employ someone to cover it. otherwise you'll get the patronising and inept writing that they've had anytime anyone in a rock band has actually appeared in the rag.

sorry, but it really is one of my pet rants. that and the evils of cars(don't ask).

Originally posted by daveofficer:

yea but why not cover the other bands playing that as well then like lady mercedes? or the acoustic artists? or the emo bands?:p

i really do think the main reason is just because one of them worked for the p and j. every article they got on their return had him captioned as "former press and journal employee". obviously the fact they've done quite well in america helps and fair play to them. but even before then they were getting ridiculous amounts of press from the p and j.

that's by the by anyway. it still doesn't explain why they refuse to acknowledge what happens in aberdeen. or even support it any way other than a listings page. that goes for fucking northsound as well. surely it's the local papers obligation when it has a virtual monopoly to cover areas of high interest to the public. and there is just as much interest in gigs as there is in highland league football. and i genuinely believe the only way they could do it justice is to employ someone to cover it. otherwise you'll get the patronising and inept writing that they've had anytime anyone in a rock band has actually appeared in the rag.

sorry, but it really is one of my pet rants. that and the evils of cars(don't ask).

I recently spotted an article, with picture about a new band, hadn't played a gig yet as far as I could tell, but the reason for printing it seemed to be solely because they'd advertised in the local rags for a guitar player.

See, it's that easy. If a bunch of middle-aged blues players can do it..

Originally posted by Spoonie:

it all depends on the size of thing and the reasons you're organising it as to whether it's a difficult thing to organise.

set up a committee now, organise a series of fundraising gigs throughout the next 12 months and begingn liasing with the council to get the thing organised for next summer and you're in with a pretty good chance of getting it done.

spoons

X

You are the coolest man on earth. All spot on. A few years ago a mate of mine used to organise an annual mini-festival in his back field in Rothienorman, and it took a full year to organise each one. Really well run, managed to make some money for charity, but just took a ridiculous amount of work to get off the ground.

I've played at a few 'back of a lorry' gigs as well, and although a lot easier, they still require a lot of effort to avoid being a waste of time. There's virtually no chance of getting anything organised well enough for this summer, but next summer is do-able.

As for the press, is this just an Aberdeen Journals problem, or is it local press in general? Any of our out-of-town correspondents care to comment? For example is the Dundee Courier just as bad? Or anywhere else?

• 2 months later...