aberdeen-music

Neighbours Complaining About The Noise

french_disko

The girl from upstairs, baby in her arms, just knocked on the door and complained about the noise from my Stereo because her "floor was vibrating".

So, my options here are -

1. Do I turn the stereo up and play The Swans "Children of God" even louder to see if I can get the guy from two floors up to complain.

or....

2. Swap the CD for, say, The Kitchen Cynics latest opus which appeared in the post this morning. Let's face it, Alan, is a bit more sedate and pleasant than Michael Gira & Co.

Suggestions? Comments?

Are your speakers connected to walls or ceiling directly? I.e. without a buffer? That'll help.

I would turn it down. I've been on both sides and neither is pleasant. My neighbour downstairs starts complaining when I strum my strat (when it's not plugged in)....

But my other neighbour used to play bassy crappy clubby shit which will shake me out of my bed....

The girl from upstairs, baby in her arms, just knocked on the door and complained about the noise from my Stereo because her "floor was vibrating".

So, my options here are -

1. Do I turn the stereo up and play The Swans "Children of God" even louder to see if I can get the guy from two floors up to complain.

or....

2. Swap the CD for, say, The Kitchen Cynics latest opus which appeared in the post this morning. Let's face it, Alan, is a bit more sedate and pleasant than Michael Gira & Co.

Suggestions? Comments?

Are your speakers connected to walls or ceiling directly? I.e. without a buffer? That'll help.

I would turn it down. I've been on both sides and neither is pleasant. My neighbour downstairs starts complaining when I strum my strat (when it's not plugged in)....

But my other neighbour used to play bassy crappy clubby shit which will shake me out of my bed....

They're on stands. I've turned it down, just to be nice.

Do you not want to get on with your neighbours? Was she particularly rude when she asked you turn it down or something?

No, she was perfectly nice about it. I just found it sort of funny, in a twisted way.

However, her and her partner seem to find it perfectly acceptable to hang out their living room window and have a fag which then seems to permeate right into my living room - should I have mentioned that to her?

Hold on.... "when it's not plugged in"??????

avoid pissing neighbours off at all costs. it just ends up in a downward spiral.

I had a lovely fat pisshead who lived above me...put on his washing machine at 2am on a tuesday, and used to jump up and down on the floor (for shits and giggles).

he eventually made me n the missus move out, the cooont.

we also had a hard of hearing "downstairs" neighbour...who's tv was so loud, we could put ours on the channel he had it on, and turn off the sound...

I hate(d) living in flats...

decouple your speakers from their stands by putting upside down mousepads under them, also stop being a noisy inconsiderate prick.

well, I'll take part of your advice in hand.

as for the second part, if someone else started this thread, i'd say the same. However, my stereo wasn't that loud - exactly the same volume as it had been for 3 hours previously. Also, I generally don't blast my music out as I am relatively considerate and I do know the people upstairs have a kid, so only an arsehole would be so inconsiderate.

I was thinking about it last night - she specifically said the floor was "vibrating" and the volume I had the music at was nowhere near arse-quake volume so something else must have been causing that.

The track that was on was Swans "New Mind" from the Children of God CD - download it if you can and see what you think about the low end bass in the track.

My downstairs neighbours complained they could here me "walking about".

I really wish i had replied with something funny about levitating but all i could think of at the time was f*ck off!

They also told us that if i stand in my bathroom and talk they can hear every word. This led to many conversations in the bathroom on the subject of the c*nts downstairs.

i once had a neighbour in a rented flat downstairs who liked to play her beats fairly loud with lots of bass. i think it must have been quite loud because she was on the ground floor and i was still getting lots of bass, me being above her. i hate telling people to turn music down because i feel like an arsehole and also i like listening to my music too, but i also hate it when i can't think for the rhythm violating me through the floor. so i decided to ask her to turn it down. she obviously had a couple of mates round, but it was quite late, around 11.30pm or something. i asked her if she could just turn the bass down a bit as that was all i was hearing. she politely said she would and i skipped happily upstairs.

she turned the music up. i was furious! it was as if she had put dog poop in a bag, put it on my doorstep, set fire to it and knocked on my door! i didn't quite know what to do - should i call the police? i really didn't want to do that, as i thought that would escalate it to a new level. maybe i should go down and ask her to turn it down again and be more annoyed. or maybe i should just wait until they stop.

then i remembered i had my 400W valve bass amp sitting in the alcove that probably needed a bit of a warm up. why not, i thought. i put the cabinet face down on the floor, probably just above her light fitting in the living room. i plugged in and switched on the cabinet and put it on standby, letting it warm up for a few minutes. i turned the gain up full and the volume half way to 5 - this was quite exciting, i'd never had it past about 2 before, even at a gig! i plugged in the bass and picked the low B string. well fuck me! everything not heavy enough or secured rattled right off my desk!

1 note - 5 seconds = shut the fuck up

i recommend it.

... i plugged in the bass and picked the low B string. well fuck me! everything not heavy enough or secured rattled right off my desk!

i recommend it.

I'd have paid money to be a fly on the wall in her flat...

I bet she was hoping that Beadle came out dressed as Goldie...

Glad it ended well!

then i remembered i had my 400W valve bass amp sitting in the alcove that probably needed a bit of a warm up. why not, i thought. i put the cabinet face down on the floor, probably just above her light fitting in the living room. i plugged in and switched on the cabinet and put it on standby, letting it warm up for a few minutes. i turned the gain up full and the volume half way to 5 - this was quite exciting, i'd never had it past about 2 before, even at a gig! i plugged in the bass and picked the low B string. well fuck me! everything not heavy enough or secured rattled right off my desk!

i recommend it.

ha ha i've done that one before as well, works wonders! Especially if you wait till the neighbour has gone to bed and then do it!

I live in The Green and have got some seriously loud noises to contend with but the only ones that bug my tits are the artic lorry that delivers eggs to macdonalds at 6.30 am and leaves his fuckin refridgeration unit going full blast 15 feet from my window and the bastarding big street sweeper that comes along an hour before the macdonalds lorry, jesus what a fuckin noise but it's all worth it to stay so central.:up:

But my neighbours are easily handled (for now anyway).

d.