aberdeen-music

top ten underated albums

delboy

Area 54 - No Visable Scars

Awesome British band, sound like across between Iron Maiden and Megadeth.

Dearly Beheaded - Temptation

British post-thrash band. To me this album is only bettered by Machine Head's "Burn My Eyes" in the genre

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait

Soilwork are getting more popular, but this (their third album) combines brutality and melody with technical ability to perfection.

In Flames - Clayman

Their recent albums are no-where near as good as this...a pop melodic death metal masterpiece

Megadeth - Youthanasia

Awesome album, but for some reason not that popular amongst fans and critics alike.

Death - Symbolic

A death metal record that has so much more to it than bands in the genre. Chuck Schuldiner is a true legend.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Old Bonsie

Alan Cynic regarding the Galaxie 500 post:

Wow cool if you are the same person that I think you are I once bought vinal copies of Today (the second most underrated ablum ever) and This Is Our Music from you downstairs at Drummonds.

Originally posted by Sky:

To my mind, they get too much recognition for their fine work; they kind of fall into the same category as the Beatles in that regardthey may have invented electronic music as we know it, but if they hadn't, someone else would have.

And anyway, Neu! were much more interesting that Kraftwerk.

Neu! were a rather good band but Kraftwerk had a greater variety of music. For example check out the first two "cone" Kwerk albums for some great electronic avant garde music. Neu! are good, but mainly famed for their taped loops, which they used a bit too often when they ran out of money...

On another note there is an awful lot of mistique and strangeness about Kwek that makes people interested in the band as well.

BTW check out Harmonia or Cluster if you like Kraftwerk and Neu!

Dave

i also think that pisces iscariot is the pumpkins best record

and every single caberat voltaire album is pretty underated, 2x45 is also one of my faves though i probably prefer the out and out bleakness of red mecca

forgot to mention the fall as well

ah so many records we cherish for one reason or another!

insomniac-green day

is clearly far superior to ANY of their major label records,even dookie, this record beats it hand down, i think it's under rate maybe because the singles of it we're not much like those off of dookie and people we're like "fit? i thought this band were good?" but yeah this one is great.

Argh pedant attack; Vain's first album was 'No Respect', Beat the Bullet was just the single. Oddly they haven't dated as badly as some of their contemporaries. I saw Faster Pussycat at the Barrowlands in 89 and they were damn good live.

None of which is relevant so, in no order really

1-The Specials-More Specials

2-Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet (does anyone really underrate Exile?? its so obviously a pinnacle of human endeavour)

3-The Cult-Electric

4-DJ Shadow-The Private Press

5-One Dove-Morning Dove White (best scottish dub album ever)

6-Funkadelic-Lets take it to the stage

7-Rock City Angels-Young Mans Blues (played this today, like if G n R had an interesting musical heritage)

8-Spirit-12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus (don't knock it til u heard it)

9-Beastie Boys-Pauls Boutique ( to be fair people with a clue do seem to like it, its not so underrated now, also best album for clearing neds out of your house, it confuses them.)

10-Dr Octagon-Dr Octagon aka The Ecologyst. ( the best rhyming ever, also features the classic line; "looking for your frog, he's gone too, down the commode" in 'i'm Destructive'

I like these top tens for opinionated fuckers like me.

Originally posted by Pierre Von Mondragon:

8-Spirit-12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus (don't knock it til u heard it)

Natures Way is one of my fav tracks of all time, did you see Randy & Ed when they played the Capital about 15years ago?

Fucking supporting Gillan, i ask you.............

Guest Marching Children
Originally posted by Pierre Von Mondragon:

2-Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet

8-Spirit-12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus

Two f-in' ace albums.

Guest highroller

aaron...

insomniac is EASILY the best green day album and people who say Dookie are just plain lazy...

Insomniac was special because it came out only a year after dookie and was a reaction to it I think and is easily green days heaviest and darkest record...awesome.

Fun house by the Stooges underrated?! Most reviews/people i talk to say it's the best stooges album.

Smashing Pumpkins ~ Adore - A great album that was hugely slated when it came out and lost the Pumpkins their U.S. fanbase... Can't agree with Machina unless you include Machina II. B0lly seemed to lose all judgement when picking which tracks and which arrangements to use from this point, and that includes Mary Star of the Sea, so many great songs left out.

R.E.M. ~ New Adventures in Hifi - Nobody ever seems to like this record, but it's definately my favourite R.E.M. record

Trippy Daisy ~ Jesus Hits like the Atom Bomb - Nobody seems to have heard of Tripping Daisy, but this album is a great example of Amerikan indie psychodelic pop. Every song on it is great.

Van Morrison ~ Veedon Fleece/Saint Dominic's Preview - While Astral Weeks is obviously Van the Man's best wrok, these two get overlooked. The Veedon Fleece does take a while to grow on you though.