aberdeen-music

Ibanez SA160 vs Yamaha Pacifica

Lemonade

Ibanez SA260 vs Yamaha Pacifica

ibanez-sa160.jpg Versus YAMPAC112.jpg.

I have 300 worth of R&B vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. With which I need to buy a new guitar for gigging. I've narrowed it down to the two above - The Pacifica is 200 and the Ibanez 300. I like both of them, I prefer the Ibanez to play but prefer the look of the Yamaha. I've had a few Ibanez's over the years and I really like them, they are good solid guitars, however I've never owned a Pacifica. Generally I use the equation more money = better guitar and I would normally plump for the Ibanez for that reason, however I'm told Yamaha guitars are excellent quality instruments at "entry-level" prices. So I could blow the lot on the fine-ass Ibanez or pick up a gorgeous silver Pacifica and have 100 left over for stuff I need like cables, carry case etc. I'm sure the Ibanez is a better guitar but is it 100 worth of better? Does anyone have a Pacifica, and what do you think of it? I'm looking for something to use as my 'main' guitar - is the Yamaha up to the job?

Thanks

The Ibanez is the same model as I have (though mine is a nicer colour than that picture and has the quilted maple finish). It's a great budget guitar but as you say the Pacifica has an excellent reputation for it's price.

You could probably get a higher spec pacifica for the same price as the Ibanez mind you, with better pickups etc.

The Ibanez is the same model as I have (though mine is a nicer colour than that picture and has the quilted maple finish). It's a great budget guitar but as you say the Pacifica has an excellent reputation for it's price.

You could probably get a higher spec pacifica for the same price as the Ibanez mind you, with better pickups etc.

Sorry I meant SA260 not 160. Typo. The SA260 is below.

R&B have only got the plain black one in stock just now but if I get it I'll get them to order the pretty blue one:

172833510001R501_N.jpg

The Yamaha has me sold simply because it's silver and I would feel like Marc Bolan playing it. There's a metallic orange one as well, it's fucking ace. Just look at this beast:

pac112v_silver_medium_jpg.jpg

The specs:

IBANEZ 2007

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Yamaha-Pacifica-112V,-OVS~ID~6463.asp

It could well be the 260 I have, whichever one it is it cost me around 300 new.

I think the Ibanez will almost certainly be a better guitar but I'm not sure if it will be 150 better.

I'm sure there are people on here who have owned a pacifica that will be able to tell you how good it is.

The only bad thing about my Ibanez is the tremelo arm, it doesn't screw in. Instead it's supposed to sit freely so it's easy to pull round but in practice this means it flies all over the place and it's easy to yank it out of the socket by mistake.

I'm quite surpised you're going for another guitar with a floating trem actually after the hassle you've had with the last one staying in tune.

Guest idol_wild

I bought a Pacifica from a gentleman on these forums for 50 earlier this year and I am delighted with it. It's probably the biggest bargain I have ever picked up. I used to use a very bulky and expensive Dean 12-string but I actually prefer the Pacifica! It's lighter, more comfortable, and plays extremely well.

In fact, I've played my bandmate's Fender Telecaster and I even prefer the sound and feel of the Pacifica! I don't like the strat-esque shape of it as far as sheer aesthetics go, but I paid 50 for a guitar that I feel sounds nicer than a 500 Telecaster.

I highly recommend you try it out before you buy, it'll probably sway your decision. Though I get the feeling the Ibanez might suit your more rock/power-pop approach in terms of sound.

Personally, as I don't like Pacificas, so I'd go for the Ibanez.

What sort of selection of guitars does R & B have for 300? Out of interest.

There's very little to be honest. I went in and immediately eliminated anything over 300, anything with a floating bridge, and anything that didn't have at least a bridge humbucker. Which left me with these two, and a couple by a Korean company beginning with "S" i can't remember the name of. The guy told me they were made with brilliant materials but were very lax about quality control on the actual manufacturing side, and you might end up with a brilliant guitar that will last you 20 years, or a total turkey that will break within a month and it's a bit of a gamble which one you're going to get. I decided against those. Though they looked nice. All wooden with through-body necks.

The company is 'Spear'. We have the Gladius model in stock with the fixed bridge and spalted maple top and neck thru body construction for 349 I believe it is.

Best thing to do is have a decent play of a few (our general stock, not just the Spears!) for a while and get a good feel for them.

I'm in tomorrow, friday, saturday and sunday and if ya make it obvious what 2 you were looking at I can maybe sway on price :laughing:

The company is 'Spear'. We have the Gladius model in stock with the fixed bridge and spalted maple top and neck thru body construction for 349 I believe it is.

Best thing to do is have a decent play of a few (our general stock, not just the Spears!) for a while and get a good feel for them.

I'm in tomorrow, friday, saturday and sunday and if ya make it obvious what 2 you were looking at I can maybe sway on price :laughing:

Wasn't that guitar reviewed in total guitar a month ago (or so..good review if i remember)

It looked decent.

and on topic, id go with the Ibanez, Im just not a fan of pacificas...

What, exactly the same pickups?

No, but I don't imagine at either price the pickups are going to make that much of a difference. They're going to be pretty cack no matter who makes them. So for versatility all that matters is single or double and what combination of the two is present.

No, but I don't imagine at either price the pickups are going to make that much of a difference. They're going to be pretty cack no matter who makes them. So for versatility all that matters is single or double and what combination of the two is present.

I think at that price, the quality of the pickups are very important. It's not like you're going to be worrying about the tone of the wood or anything.

If the difference in sound is really that indistinguishable, you'd be as well saving up a little more, buying the nicest feeling/best looking/cheapest one and putting a better humbucker in it.

I think at that price, the quality of the pickups are very important. It's not like you're going to be worrying about the tone of the wood or anything.

If the difference in sound is really that indistinguishable, you'd be as well saving up a little more, buying the nicest feeling/best looking/cheapest one and putting a better humbucker in it.

That's where the Spears are pretty good in my opinion. The quality of the materials are really high (in my opinion). The only weird thing is the feel of the unfinished necks.

With a pickup upgrade, you have yourself a very nice guitar with the Spears.

The Pacifica 112V (that's the new style of Pacifica with the controls not mounted on the scratchplate anymore and different pickups to the old 112) is a bit brighter sounding thanks to the pickups it comes with from the factory.

In short, you wouldn't be going far wrong with any of them!

If you really like the feel of a Pacifica though, personally I'd try put a bit more to it and go for a 612. That's the higher up model with the flamed maple top and Seymour Duncan pickups. Very nice guitar indeed IMO at 419 RRP.

:up: