aberdeen-music

kings of leon, aecc

scottyboy

I thought the crowd was pretty quiet complared to some of the gigs I've been at recently (Foor Fighters, Fratellis) but I put that down to lack of any commuication between the band and the crowd, though I still say it was a brilliant gig.

Found that review:

this is north scotland - Kings of Leon review

That's a gash review, Be there is a single on their new album?

That's a gash review, Be there is a single on their new album?

I often think the Evening Express writers reporters just watch the first couple songs then fuck off home. You always get "fans swayed to their favourite <blank> songs, such as <blank>, <blank> and <blank> and bounced along in high spirits as the band turned out hit after hit from their new album and earlier albums.

You can basically take that sentence and write a review of any gig with even going to it, and words to that effect feature in virtually every Evening Express review ever.

"The group's sell-out gig at Aberdeen's Exhibition Centre on Saturday brought a loyal fan-base out in their thousands.

And they sang, danced and cheered their way through a rousing 90-minute set.

The boys from Tennessee, who named the band after preacher dad Leon, treated the capacity crowd to a series of hits, taken from their last three albums.

Highlights included a lively rendition of Molly's Chambers, the first single from their 2003 debut, Youth and Young Manhood.

The audience became a sea of heads, jumping up and down as one, chanting along to every word.

Other standout moments included toe-tapping performances of Knocked Up and Be There - both on their current release Because Of The Times."

i missed the support band. listened to the myspace and didn't think much of it so i didn't bother. the sound was fine in my opinion, but if i pay to see a band i expect at the very minimum to be able to hear everything properly. i disagree that throwing beer at the band and crowd is 'average'. that's literally the first gig i've been to that i've seen that happening. throwing liquids at people beside a load of electrical gear really is a stupid thing to do.

Are you serious? I've been going to gigs for nearly twenty years and twats throwing their overpriced plastic pints is par for the course. I don't condone it (or understand it) but there always seems to be a minority who do that sort of thing - a bit like one of the clearly "refreshed" lads in front of me who threw his jumper at the across the crowd and was delighted that it ended up on stage (where it was swiftly removed by a roadie).

I stand by my initial impression that it was a solid if unspectacular affair. As someone else posted KOL aren't really a "banter" band. They were at least better than the Red Hot Chilli Peppers the last time I saw them - Anthony Keidis almost defined "going through the motions" and never spoke to the crowd once.

i woz really disappointed with the gig......think the crowd had a lot to do wi it.....there jist didna seem to be any atmosphere...and man........how pissed off woz i gettin at all they folk bargin past.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...the beer chuckin didna bother me as u come to expect that at a gig..........but like somebody said earlier.........at 7quid a pint....is it worth it!!!!!!!!!!??? I cldna believe how young the crowd were either...............but maybe thats my own insecurities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!.............expected a bit more than i got tho.....a bit o banter mite o lightened up the guitar incident instead o insightin boos...........!!!!!!!1

yeah im serious... maybe i just dont go and see enough MOR rock bands 8-)

While I do enjoy your attempt at having a dig at the previous poster,his reply does not signal that he has been going to watch middle of the road stuff for 20 years.

Been going to a variety of gigs for quite a few years and pint throwing is a regular occurance.

I went to the gig as I thought I would get to see Clinic play but they never appeared, I stuck with KOL and at first I thought it was ok. However I became bored jut after half way through. They are a tight band and as someone else said, it was solid if unspectacular.

My main criticism was that the crowd were pretty crap and another example as to why I dislike large venues for gigs.

i woz really disappointed with the gig......think the crowd had a lot to do wi it.....there jist didna seem to be any atmosphere...and man........how pissed off woz i gettin at all they folk bargin past.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...the beer chuckin didna bother me as u come to expect that at a gig..........but like somebody said earlier.........at 7quid a pint....is it worth it!!!!!!!!!!??? I cldna believe how young the crowd were either...............but maybe thats my own insecurities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!.............expected a bit more than i got tho.....a bit o banter mite o lightened up the guitar incident instead o insightin boos...........!!!!!!!1

This one really seems to have split opinios down the middle. I wouldn't say I was dissapointed because I did think it was a really good show, but then it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, so I guess that is the definition of "disappointed" isn't it. Oi I dunno. To sum up, I've been to far better gigs, but I've also been to far worse gigs. Musically they were excellent but lacking in presence and getting the crowd involved.

Never mind, going to see Madness on Thursday..... dont't think Suggs will be the quiet type.

I'd blame the aecc for the throwing of pints, two howps and the fucker was flat!!They must have been thrown in disgust!:up:

Thought the sound was decent enough a lot better than the last time i was there. What a bastard it can be getting to/from the aecc though, lose a big chunk of your night/drinking time.

Reckon the old KOL stuff is miles better than the new stuff, anyone agree?? Most people I've spoke to don't!

I didn't think there was any problem with the sound at all, Arizona in particular filled the venue more than I think I've ever heard a venue consumed by a song before.

The crowd were awful, morons who go to any gig at the AECC because 'a big band is playing'. I wasn't able to stand for more than ten seconds without someone pushing past me, nobody seemed to want to actually watch the band. Also, nobody seemed to have any understanding of the band other than the singles. Some guy I overheard in the toilet seemed disgusted at the video footage of a guy in make-up crying, despite the fact it was played over a song about Transvestite Rent-Boys.

I thought they played really well, they've never been about chatting to the crowd or telling jokes, I've never seen them live before and even I knew that.

The guitar incident during Four Kicks was unfortunate, but what some people viewed as a 'hissy fit' came off to me as a serious perfectionist annoyed that they couldn't play it right for a crowd paying 25 pounds a ticket. Caleb looked genuinely gutted about the whole situation.

In conclusion...

Sound - As good as I accept from an aircraft hanger.

Band - Played well and a good mixed set list.

Crowd - Mainly people who don't actually like music.

• Upvote 1