aberdeen-music

The X Files

Guest idol_wild

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
I bought series one and two on Friday night on the way home from work, off the back of this thread, also now completely hooked. They're 20 each in Virgin/Zavvi/whatever.

Update. Up to halfway through series 7. It's almost unwatchable by this point. By series 6 it was pretty obviously going downhill and almost every episode was just utterly bizarre and packed with comedy. It was like a piss-take. But the last few of S6, and the first lot of 7 have been back to the look and feel of the earlier episodes, but nowhere near as good. 8 and 9 are going to be a real struggle I think, especially since Mulder isn't in them.

It's an odd show. Throughout the whole thing the good episodes are unmissable but the bad ones are just dreadful. No middle ground.

Update. Up to halfway through series 7. It's almost unwatchable by this point. By series 6 it was pretty obviously going downhill and almost every episode was just utterly bizarre and packed with comedy. It was like a piss-take. But the last few of S6, and the first lot of 7 have been back to the look and feel of the earlier episodes, but nowhere near as good. 8 and 9 are going to be a real struggle I think, especially since Mulder isn't in them.

It's an odd show. Throughout the whole thing the good episodes are unmissable but the bad ones are just dreadful. No middle ground.

The standalone episodes were always hit and miss. The one with jigsaw man (don't know if that's his going by title, the Jim Rose Sideshow guy anyway) was a classic one I recall. I always got bored of episodes that strayed from mulder, his sister and UFO abduction etc.

I yearn for satisfying arcs in television. The Wire is the ultimate culmination of this disrespect for the mindlessness of TV stand-alone episodes and a generation who won't fucking read. (I should add, I don't read.)

I'm working my way through series 1 at the moment, just watched Toombs last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

It used to scare the shit out of me when i was young, especially one episode that i forget which series it was in. Some wormy creature that can crawl through your pipes and comes up your lavvy. He ends up getting cut in half but at the end it shows his eyes popping open again.....didna sleep properly for days after that one!