aberdeen-music

Taking Classical away from stuffiness

jcn

Hey everyone

Is it just me, or does anyone else appreciate, nay even love classical music but get a but pissed off with all the formality. I have lost count of the number of concerts that I have been to where I felt self conscious. Especially those bits where you aren't allowed to clap. It does my head in!!

Hey everyone

Is it just me, or does anyone else appreciate, nay even love classical music but get a but pissed off with all the formality. I have lost count of the number of concerts that I have been to where I felt self conscious. Especially those bits where you aren't allowed to clap. It does my head in!!

I dunno, I quite like the 'formality', in the sense that the performance is the important thing and you get peace to just enjoy it yourself instead of having to listen to everyone else enjoy it.

I'm all in favour of a crowd going mental if the music fits, but there are some performances, classical or otherwise, that deserve silence. I am a fully paid up advocate of Chilli's School of Shush...

Seconded....i'm definitely one of Chilli's 'Shush puppies"! Otherwise the night descends into last night of the proms laddishness.

Imagine...John Cage's silent one, and the crowd responding with the 'Here we fucking go ' chant:down:

Having said that..I'm never confident about clapping in the correct place either....similar to my lack of knowledge about which bits of cutlery to use in a fancy restaurant. (Although I DO know not to eat my soup with a knife, or fart in appreciation !).

I can't say I've been to many classical shows...

I did enjoy the "big screen" when they linked to covent garden and showed tourendot...The atmosphere was great - not stuffy at all, and not too much noise from the crowd...

I wouldn't want to hear a pin drop...and I don't think they do "numbers" where you'd get a couple of mins to cheer inbetween "songs"...

There is a lot of "stuffiness" associated with classical music, unfortunately. Sometimes I think this can put off people who might be keen to explore it more.

However, I am all for silence at gigs. The music is the focus, not buying your pint or an interesting conversation topic. People who want to talk can fuck off outside. As such, I am glad that classical music concerts are still a place for audience attentiveness. I too am unsure about the clapping, especially if I don't know the movements of a piece etc, but don't mistake reverence for "stuffiness".

There's been loads of debate about it re. diminishing returns. Most of the classical music was composed off the cuff for a purpose - jazz and neoclassical reduced the theory to a set of instantaeneous choices. It saddens me the status classical has today, as a static form to be "appreciated".

well, we attended the michael nyman event @ the music hall & we arrived 1minute late

& the doors were already closed, so we couldn't get in & had to watch almost

the best piece he did on an inhouse tv for about 20mins, till he finished, had a

composure break & let about 30folk in to take their seats...... what bollocks

as far a shushing is concerned, i am scheming up a cunning plan, that contains

????????? (although mrs chili says the acquisition of the police stun gun is maybe

getting a bit over the top)

Although I DO know not to eat my soup with a knife, or fart in appreciation !).

My biggest fear is that I'm going to make an involuntary noise ie. at a very quiet passage my body decides to do a bum concerto :(

I think there is middle ground to be had, a bit like in the library I suppose. You can speak quietly, move about etc. but don't shout at the top of your lungs.

Perhaps Stripey is right; there would be more people attending classical gigs if after their gigs the soloists all stripped off and did some pole dancing :-)

Imagine...John Cage's silent one, and the crowd responding with the 'Here we fucking go ' chant:down:

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the fact that John Cage's: 'Silence pieces' are even performed within a formal environment is a tad ridiculous. Primarily due, to his whole belief in chance of sound, I would have thought that; perhaps through personal opinion only: these pieces would be better performed in locations where it truly would be an individual experience without the constructs of 'music performances' let alone classical recitals.

(Of course when I say pieces, I obviously refer to the fact that this is not a piece of sound, more an abstract experience/concept applied to a time period)