aberdeen-music

25th anniversary of Gothenberg next year, there must be a musical tribute!

Pierre Von Mondragon

So if anyone is making any Gothenberg orientated music to celebrate I propose to create some kind of tribute project. If anyone happens to have a big pile of audio relating to said event, then I would quite like to trawl it for samples, apparently there is one of Jack Webster saying; "...John Hewitt rose like a burrrd", that sounds like the sort of thing I am after. Hopefully others will make music on this most glorious of subjects and there can be some sort of wee project, if not for me, do it for Stuart Kennedy!

Perhaps call it Two European Trophies Ya Bass (not really)

Ah, so speaks a supporter of a team who could only make it to the semi's.

They made it to the semis of the European Cup though didn't they, which is pretty much on a "par" as an achievement with with winning the inferior Cup Winners Cup. Yeah, yeah, I know Aberdeen won the Super Cup which all the big teams prioritise as their major goal.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Ah, so speaks a supporter of a team who could only make it to the semi's.

That's neither here nor there, bub. The Pars had a cracking time of it in the '60's, two Scottish Cups, cuffed 2 English sides out of Europe and horsed the Mould Firm on a regular basis. But that was the past, and there's something very sad about people who can't help harking back all the time instead of concentrating on the here and now.

And if anyone has the right to hark back to the glory days for an escape hatch, it's me! I refuse to do it, probably because I've had to listen to you lot at it for the past 25 years. It's boring!

:up:

To be fair, we did beat Bayern Munich AND Real Madrid, which I think is on a par with just about anything.

Aye, fair dos, can't argue with that.

Scottish footy achievements are few and far between (here's hoping for another one tomorrow!), I don't think there's any harm in marking them now and again, particularly in the kind of off-beat way that a Mondragon break-beat electro Gothenburg song would be (though I agree with Jake that sometimes it gets a bit over the top and overshadows what is going on at present).-

Yes, a darker version of the European Song should be in the offing, should probably aim to collaborate on that concept though.

As for harking on about the past, I'm more up for a bit of commemoration of what is, probably (!), a once in a lifetime achievement, people are still singing songs about Bannockburn, and that was 1314, now thats harking back. But if you were in the city when it happened, then you'll KNOW that it was a magical moment (ta Val/Max), which needs to be celebrated.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
well, move away from Aberdeen then - to Dunfermline maybe?

That's the typical lazy argument I hear from you lot. If I had a Rich Tea for every time I've heard that, I'd have a pretty large biscuit tin...

:up: