aberdeen-music

Stoner Bands

Guest Savant

I like Fu Manchu, Kyuss & Neblula. I recently got Atomic Bitchwax's Self Titled and Church of Misery's Master of Brutality (they totally want to be Sabbath - they rip off Sabbath's riffs, blatantly).

What other bands are any good from this type of genre, and what albums should I check out? I like Atomic Bitchwax's sound so what album of theirs should I get next?

you up for trying to get into the really slow heavy stuff?

give weedeater a shot, they are brilliant, can't tell the difference between the bass and the guitar because they are that low.

Also try torche, Cavity, Clouds (this band are great and you may really like them, really blues influenced)

Weedeater are probaly heading a little heavy compared with the others.

I reckeon: Clutch, Clutch and more Clutch. One of the best bands EVER and up there with Kyuss. Start with "Blast Tyrant" I think.

Hermano (Garcia from Kyuss on Vocals)

Karma To Burn - s/t debut is a fuckin classic.

Scissorfight - Jaggernaught (more aggressive, like a dumbed down Clucth)

Floodgate - Penalty

Corrosion of Conformity (although heading more metllic, Wiseblood or Deliverance are awesome)

And then I head off down the NOLA route - probably getting to Weedeater in the end!

Weedeater are probaly heading a little heavy compared with the others.

I reckeon: Clutch, Clutch and more Clutch. One of the best bands EVER and up there with Kyuss. Start with "Blast Tyrant" I think.

Hermano (Garcia from Kyuss on Vocals)

Karma To Burn - s/t debut is a fuckin classic.

Scissorfight - Jaggernaught (more aggressive, like a dumbed down Clucth)

Floodgate - Penalty

Corrosion of Conformity (although heading more metllic, Wiseblood or Deliverance are awesome)

And then I head off down the NOLA route - probably getting to Weedeater in the end!

Forgot to mention that I've tried listening to Clutch before & just can't get into them - but I'll give that album a shot.

Love COC. Actually, I'd better not abbreviate that...but I got Deliverance & Wiseblood ages ago, but I recently got In The Arms Of God and it's pretty...crap with the odd exception.

What about Unida? Is John Garcia not in them anymore?

And are Voivod the same kinda thing?

Umm, Kyuss is kinda slow? Or proper slow? Has anyone heard Lowrider? I got one of their albums a few years ago and it's cool, kinda slow stuff, and you can hear a big Kyuss influence.

Some of those are more doom, but still, RIFF!

I've heard some ppl say that Kyuss are more Doom than Stoner...? I'll check those bands out tho.

Forgot to mention that I've tried listening to Clutch before & just can't get into them - but I'll give that album a shot.

Love COC. Actually, I'd better not abbreviate that...but I got Deliverance & Wiseblood ages ago, but I recently got In The Arms Of God and it's pretty...crap with the odd exception.

And are Voivod the same kinda thing?

Voivod are a weird Canadian thrash band. Very good but not stoner.

Don't know if you get hold of it easily but John Garcia did on e.p. with a band called Slo Burn which was great. They never did anything else to my knowlodge. Worth a look.

You might also like Goatsnake.

Unida are cracking... well, a lot better than Hermano who are a bit hit and miss (new album is a cracker though).

I second the Slo Burn recommendation, probably my favourite post-Kyuss band.

Most of the better known bands (COC, Down, Clutch, Alabama Thunderpussy (get "Fulton Hill," cracking album), Kyuss etc. are top notch. I'd suggest that if you're into the more riff-based stuff you get your hands on some Sasquatch (I think their two albums go for about 4-5 each on Amazon Marketplace), very under-rated band with bags full of groove. Solace are a brilliant band too, and although their stuff is quite hard to track down you should try and get hold of their "The Black Black" EP, perfect stoner rock.

sHEAVY's "Solarized" album is great too if you can tolerate the Ozzy-esque vocals. Also pretty much anything Brant Bjork has touched is worth a look (especially Che's "Sounds of Liberation").

If you're up for something a bit heavier, I second unbroken's Weedeater recommendation for some crazy sludge nastyness. Also get your teeth into some Crowbar, Eyehategod and Iron Monkey.

Almost forgot Orange Goblin, phenomenal band... check out their earlier stuff for a more spacey/doomy vibe and their later stuff for groove-based rocking.

If you need any more ideas give me a shout, I live for this stuff.

Have fun :up:.

Shit I forgot about Orange Goblin - I've got that double album of theirs.

Cheers Murrr - I've have a listen to all those bands!

Oh, and another band worth checking out (since no-one's mentioned them) is LAB MySpace.com - LAB - CALIFORNIA - Rock / Rock / Rock - www.myspace.com/labrock

They're in Fu Manchu's top 16 or something - good stuff! :up:

give weedeater a shot, they are brilliant, can't tell the difference between the bass and the guitar because they are that low.

now...this is a rock n roll photo, playing the bass while spewing [weedeater bass player]...but if he's having a whiter...that's surely rock points lost, if you are a stoner band!

photo1large.jpg

I am downloading the mp3 as I type...