aberdeen-music

Help...

Huw

Bought a brand new bass cab, it's about a week old. Only been played once at high volume for any length of time.

The top right speaker has started buzzing and it sound shite and is pissing me off no end.

The cab can handle something like 400 watts and my amp is rated at 250 RMS so i don't think that'd be a problem.

I'm playing an Ashdown Superfly 2x250 through an ampeg 410 HLF and if this continues i'm going to throw a hissy. I've been mega careful.

anyone know why?

Huw

Open her up and look at the speaker. Check it's scewed in tight and nothing is interfering with the speaker in anyway (cover cloth ends touching the cone etc). Next i would check the soldering on the speaker. All that fails.... feck knows.

It's under warranty though, bit of hassle taking it to the shop like. Might be best checking you opening it doesn't effect your warrantly, before performing any DIY surgery.

Baz

i can't find the warrantee... is it just a standard Ampeg thing?

the buzzing only occurs when i'm playing at higher volumes or when the signal level peaks. fropm the looks of things that particular speaker looks to be vibrating (in a normal speaker-like fashion) too much.

i'm pretty reluctant to open her up though the front panel doesn't really come off as such.

TBH, just sounds like a loose speaker, you should take the front panel off, there is a way, although i havent done it with mine, steve from edgar praise uses his 8x10 without the cover.

And just make sure the speaker is in securely.

Where did you buy it from?

Ampeg products come with a lifetime warranty i think, but imagine how much shipping will cost for that.

I wonder if you got one of the first chinese made cabs....oh dear.:down:

TBH, just sounds like a loose speaker, you should take the front panel off, there is a way, although i havent done it with mine, steve from edgar praise uses his 8x10 without the cover.

And just make sure the speaker is in securely.

Where did you buy it from?

Ampeg products come with a lifetime warranty i think, but imagine how much shipping will cost for that.

I wonder if you got one of the first chinese made cabs....oh dear.:down:

Yeah i've seen a bunch with out the cover. i think you take the ampeg badge plus the model badge off and it'll come off.

i just tried plugging the speaker lead into the other input though and the buzzing decreased dramatically. sorted for now. don't think i'm going to cry anymore.

chinese made ampegs...? that sounds sinful.

' date=' post: 429061"']Yeah i've seen a bunch with out the cover. i think you take the ampeg badge plus the model badge off and it'll come off.

i just tried plugging the speaker lead into the other input though and the buzzing decreased dramatically. sorted for now. don't think i'm going to cry anymore.

chinese made ampegs...? that sounds sinful.

well, ampeg have now moved ALL production over to china. I was lucky to get my amp and cab when they were still american made.

Maxi got one of the last made american svt classics.

flooky fucker.

' date=' post: 429062"']i'm still broke from buying the thing, i'm nae really in any position to be spending 60 on shipping if i can fix it with a much lesser expense.

cheers anyway.

Did you buy it from Sound Control?

If so, you should be able to return it to any branch if it's faulty - i.e. Dundee.

cheers for all that. it seemed to just be a case that plugging the left output on my amp into the right input on the cab made the sound if i connect it R-R or L-L it's fine.

if it reoccurs sound control will be recieveing a phone call. they're good there though, should be fine.

on the subject of bass cabs... i have this 4x10 just now, would it be better to buy another 4x10 (probably have to be a cheaper one) or a 1x15 for a more 'rounded sound'.

aye, those cabs are hand made. Very good as well from what I hear.

A guy on these boards uses an aguilar 4x10 and it sounded great when i did the sound for him at the tunnels.

Only problem is, they have no UK distribution from what I hear, so you have to pay the excessive shipping fees.

what head did good old jeff from isis use?

ampeg?

' date=' post: 429067"']cheers for all that. it seemed to just be a case that plugging the left output on my amp into the right input on the cab made the sound if i connect it R-R or L-L it's fine.

if it reoccurs sound control will be recieveing a phone call. they're good there though, should be fine.

on the subject of bass cabs... i have this 4x10 just now, would it be better to buy another 4x10 (probably have to be a cheaper one) or a 1x15 for a more 'rounded sound'.

What do you mean left/right inputs outputs, the whole thing is mono surely?

aye, those cabs are hand made. Very good as well from what I hear.

A guy on these boards uses an aguilar 4x10 and it sounded great when i did the sound for him at the tunnels.

Only problem is, they have no UK distribution from what I hear, so you have to pay the excessive shipping fees.

what head did good old jeff from isis use?

ampeg?

no, reletively sure he used an aguilar head too.

Photo Album

You can see it in the background there. thats mike's stack to the left.

if you on a site called music shmit in germany you can get them shipped for a similar price to thomann.

What do you mean left/right inputs outputs, the whole thing is mono surely?

yeah, good point. i have 2x250 watt out puts on the back of my amp and 2X'full range inputs' on my cab, but that still would be mono. unless one is for daisy chaining. i'm nae really sure, regardless it stopped and i was happy.

the superfly is a stereo head, 2 seperate 250W power amps., unbridgeable. So you would want to be running both sides into something, or it will explode eventually, as you're essentially running an amp without a load on it whenever you play out of just one side.

Note for the future also; if you'd bought it from me at the soondy dundee this would have been sorted/ replaced by now. And you'd probably have benefited from BobbySimpsonzSoondyAmpegMegadealz as experienced by monsieurs Maxwell and Bowden.

Did the buzzing/ humming/ hooing and haaing just stop then? Because if so, it's more than likely it'll come back when you least need or expect it.

the superfly is a stereo head, 2 seperate 250W power amps., unbridgeable. So you would want to be running both sides into something, or it will explode eventually, as you're essentially running an amp without a load on it whenever you play out of just one side.

Note for the future also; if you'd bought it from me at the soondy dundee this would have been sorted/ replaced by now. And you'd probably have benefited from BobbySimpsonzSoondyAmpegMegadealz as experienced by monsieurs Maxwell and Bowden.

Did the buzzing/ humming/ hooing and haaing just stop then? Because if so, it's more than likely it'll come back when you least need or expect it.

that makes a lot of sense... therefore FUCK! I sent the amp back to soundy... and now i feel like a incredible tool. it is however being replaced and is due to arrive on monday. so when i get my Ampeg back get something else to plug the other side into? yes?

BobbySimpsonzSoondyAmpegMegadealz sounds a treat. I'll make the effort next time to tear away from my computer and get my arse down there. Maybe when i have enough for an 8x10... or an ampeg head. I actually came down once to try out the Superfly and buy it, but i didn't phone before to check if it was in stock. Alas; it wasn't... nice trip though.

Thank You!