aberdeen-music

Master Foods Inc (Mars, Bounty etc) now using rennet.

Teabags

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One concern I've heard already is that vegetarian type-1 diabetics might have a bit of a problem - what with fun-size Mars Bars being a favourite to regulate insulin doses/ward-off hypos etc. Fruit sugar altenatives are slower acting & altogether less effective in these circumstances.

At the risk of being controversial, isnt being a vegetarian quite pointless in a world where nature is raped of its resources daily?.....also why arent vegetables etc considered living things...they grew didnt they? they make up just as vital a part of the web of life as us or animals. life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life...... (those of you who own undertow will understand). For something to live something has to die, becuase we live in a world based on the transferance of energy from one form to another, there can be no more energy than whats already here, and the energy must be recycled and reused therefore life must be fed on for life to survive. I apologise if absolutely no1 sees where im coming from......

At the risk of being controversial, isnt being a vegetarian quite pointless in a world where nature is raped of its resources daily?......

Maybe this is not the place to wake-up that particular argument? After all, it only goes straight downhill to a slanging-match & the iniquities of industrial food production concern almost everyone these days, veggie or not, which in the end is an individual's free choice..

Teabags i agree that particular type of slaughtering is seriously wrong!, youd have to be heartless to think otherwise, they cant be slaughtering all cattle this way, i noticed it was in Iowa(thats the states for you), there would have to of been an uproar in the uk if that was goin on here.Not something i know alot about though...

Ok Veggie/Vegan folk, if this whole thing is pissing you off you NEED to take a look at this:

Vegetarian beers

I warn you now, this will totally destroy your alcholic drinking choices dramatically. I have had to give up many of my favourite drinks because of this list. I am glad I know now though.

Kit kats are suitable according to the Nestle site, will have to check that out.

However.....

"Nestl own nearly 50% of the cosmetics company L'Oreal. L'Oreal was subject to boycott calls from animal rights groups including PeTA because of its animal testing policy. Since then L'Oreal has claimed that it no longer tests finished products on animals. This statement is obviously intended to mislead since finished products do not require further testing and it implies that the ingredients are certainly still subject to tests. Some groups called off the boycott in response to L'Oreals' claims, however there are individuals and organisations who continue the boycott and L'Oreal continues to test on animals."

Can't win can you :down:

A lot of ciders were missing from the list.

I was really suprised by some of the beers. How the hell are the making in them not suitable for vegetarians? I'm not a vegetarian myself but I'm still concerned about what goes into what I consume. :( I was glad to note that most of the beers my other half consumes don't contain meat products - with the exception of Guinness... which brings me to the question of what is actually in it?

Isinglass Finings are used for the filtering process for most beers. Its a by product of fishing industries,; if I'm not mistaken, its part of, if not they're entire scales.

in fact, form the InterBrew response e-mail...

"The animal product that we use is Isinglass (fish finings). This is a clarification agent made from certain fish. It assists clarification by attracting the yeast cells causing them to coagulate into larger particles which then separate from the beer, giving the beer a clean and clear appearance."

To be honest, if they can afford to piss off vegetarians, then fair play to them. In fact, they deserve to be appaluded for publicly talking about it, rather than attempting to cover it all up.

I noticed that a spokesperson for Masterfoods made the point that a lot of vegetarians wouldn't be particularly bothered by it - and that they could afford to lose the support from hardcore ones.

Incidentally, what's a "decent" vegetarian? What makes one vegetarian better than another one? I mean, I know a couple of people who are vegetarians out of simply not liking meat - and who consequently couldn't give a fuck about eating stuff like this.

At the end of the day, it's their choice if they want to include animal products - and if people don't like it, then don't buy the fucking product. Not rocket science, is it?

You are a total fanny. Why have an opinion when you don't know what you are talking about?

Sure, it's bad for vegetarians, but I'm a lot more comfortable eating food that includes natural ingredients rather than something that's been designed in a laboratory.

Its not your stomach lining to eat though is it? :up:

Would you be happy eating your best mates stomach lining for the sake of eating a chocolate bar?

Obviously if he was dead first...