aberdeen-music

Master Foods Inc (Mars, Bounty etc) now using rennet.

Teabags

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have problems with animal products in booze, you really don't want to think about the widespread use of pig-Lipase in the Chorleywood Bread Process that accounts for something like 90% of UK bread production. The vast majority of which is derived from slaughterhouse waste instead of the more expensive (@100-200X more) non-animal sources currently available. Again, as a "production aid" this does not need to be declared as an ingredient, along with the surprising quantity of heart-rogering hard fats (ie hydrogenated vegetable fats), salt & other agents. Your average loaf barely deserves to be called bread these days. The only real purpose of the CBP is that it alows poorer quality imported wheat to be used in breadmaking & it extends the shelf-life of the finished product.

However, in the last 6 months or so, a large-scale & much cheaper process for manufacturing various non-animal lipase has been licenced for human consumption so the situation may improve slightly. However, it is still reliant on industrial bulk fermentation methods. Which as Dave points out, owes much more to the world of industrial drug manufacture & chemical warfare than it does to your cheery-beery old local brewer. :(

Other applications for lipase also includes the international cereal market, (particularly corn/maize) - mainly to partially predigest export grains to make them palitable for Western stomachs or to make poorer quality/animal-feed strains fit for food use.

Yum! :(

I'm actually in favour of this move towards using rennet, as it signals Masterfood's intention to move away from genetically modified and artificial additives in their foods. Sure, it's bad for vegetarians, but I'm a lot more comfortable eating food that includes natural ingredients rather than something that's been designed in a laboratory.

So many steroids are pumped into the livestock & therefore whatever product that you eventually consume. I can't really look into it just now but remember there being a massive campaign tin the US to ban a certain steroid from being injected into livestock because a large trace would be found in the milk.

I think I'm gonna be veggie for life, but I'm trying hard to cut milk out of my diet. Until, that is, I can afford to, or gather, a large enough amount of folk together to live on an organic/subsistance farm with like minded people(veggie, vegan or meaty) who would like to grow and raise their own produce in an ethical way. How awesome would that be?!!!

I'm actually in favour of this move towards using rennet, as it signals Masterfood's intention to move away from genetically modified and artificial additives in their foods.

That was the first thing that came to my mind, the fact that they're probably doing this to make it a more organic bar o' chocolate. The demand for organic food has boomed drastically over the past few years, and when coupled with the current trend of pushing healthy food and lifestyles, it's pretty much reached the fad stage amongst shoppers.

However, big business (naturally) isn't far behind and have realised that by slapping on an organic labell they can incrase the value of their product. Even when you buy 'organic' items, there's little guarantee that it actually is 100% natural; probe into illegal egg labelling

I think it's good to see companies like cadbury's actually giving it a go.

Until, that is, I can afford to, or gather, a large enough amount of folk together to live on an organic/subsistance farm with like minded people(veggie, vegan or meaty) who would like to grow and raise their own produce in an ethical way. How awesome would that be?!!!

I partly grew-up on that very farm & each to their own of course but I'm afraid to say it was a sheer utter fucking hell of food-factionality bickering & nit-picking over the most inanne aspects of veggie/vegan/organic/dietary politics, ideology, history & practice. Never mind the home-made tabbards & tie-die!

Don't, just don't. Get your own place & rule it with a rod of iron - whatever your preference! :D

I think I'm gonna be veggie for life, but I'm trying hard to cut milk out of my diet. Until, that is, I can afford to, or gather, a large enough amount of folk together to live on an organic/subsistance farm with like minded people(veggie, vegan or meaty) who would like to grow and raise their own produce in an ethical way. How awesome would that be?!!!

How are you going to maintain proper calcium levels by cutting out milk from your diet? I'm not having a go or anything, just genuinely interested.

So let me get this straight, the normal size are now going to taste like fun-size? Stinking.

Drinks list = quite fascinating, going to send it to every veggie friend I have.

However isn't it fish which is used in distillation? So I guess that also depends on how 'strict' a veggie people are.

I also cannot belive how much of you care about what you eat/animals dying. I feel abit greedy/heartless.

So let me get this straight, the normal size are now going to taste like fun-size? Stinking.

Drinks list = quite fascinating, going to send it to every veggie friend I have.

However isn't it fish which is used in distillation? So I guess that also depends on how 'strict' a veggie people are.

I also cannot belive how much of you care about what you eat/animals dying. I feel abit greedy/heartless.

Haha. S'true.

About the Organic...

I hate Organic. Organic can die. Why, why, why do it? The reason these fertilisers and chemicals have been invented is to improve productivity - because countries are quite big. If we all went back to growing a couple of mouldy tatties and crappy little carrots, everyone would die of hunger.

I'd happily eat Rennet for breakfast every day of my life than have Organic food. It's largely become a stupid idea dreamt up by some city-bound idiots who like the notion that they are doing the nice wildlife a favour, rather than being a real lifestyle choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of natural ingredients and cutting out on man-made ingredients, but everyone eating Organic is unrealistic, idealist and a bit silly.

I'm all in a fluster now.

Haha. S'true.

About the Organic...

I hate Organic. Organic can die. Why, why, why do it? The reason these fertilisers and chemicals have been invented is to improve productivity - because countries are quite big. If we all went back to growing a couple of mouldy tatties and crappy little carrots, everyone would die of hunger.

I'd happily eat Rennet for breakfast every day of my life than have Organic food. It's largely become a stupid idea dreamt up by some city-bound idiots who like the notion that they are doing the nice wildlife a favour, rather than being a real lifestyle choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of natural ingredients and cutting out on man-made ingredients, but everyone eating Organic is unrealistic, idealist and a bit silly.

I'm all in a fluster now.

You missed the point about rennet: it is the more organic method. And your last sentence struck me as completely hypocritical. So... you're a silly idealist?

I think you're making claims about chemicals being fine, and people dying of hunger otherwise are a bit unfounded. The percentage of wastage from farms (at least in the fruit and veg department) is massive even with chemicals being used to make their produce more supermarket friendly. The problem lies with the fussy customer. If we didn't all care about 'spots on our apples', I'm sure we probably could live organically quite comfortabley.

I'm sure that there are chocolate bars that do not use animal products OR unnatural ingredients anyway. Anybody have any recommendatons? Fair trade's always a bonus too.

Soyamilk, tofu and certain leafy greens can contain enough calcium to satisfy your needs in a balanced vegan diet.

You are right but:

Soymilk isn't naturally enriched with Calcium it has to be added to it afterwards due to the fact that the Calcium content in Soy beans is contained in the beans pulp. So it's void in my opinion, you might as well drink a glass of water with a spoonful of calcium carbonate in it.

Ditto on the Tofu front i'm afraid. It depends what coagulants are used in its manufacture as to whether it is Calcium enriched or not.

I'm always sceptical on the point of things that are supposed to imply a 'natural' source of something when that something has to be added to it outwith nature.

You are right with the 'leafy greens' bit though, i hadn't thought there'd be as much Calcium in things like Broccoli and certain other beans etc. Though what ratio of greens:milk you'd have to consume in order to balance it out would be something worth finding out.

Ok Veggie/Vegan folk, if this whole thing is pissing you off you NEED to take a look at this:

Vegetarian beers

I warn you now, this will totally destroy your alcholic drinking choices dramatically. I have had to give up many of my favourite drinks because of this list. I am glad I know now though.

YES, thank you, fucking finally another human knows that some beers aint veggie.

Jesus you speak some amount of shit.

As a person that claims to know a shit-load about business, you think a wise business move would be to piss off vegetarians, providing you can afford it? What a cock.

If (as some people have suggested) there's a motivation behind it in that they will use it to move towards an organic claim - then, yes, there's probably more money in claiming to be organic than claiming to be vegetarian. Given that plenty of people who say they're vegetarian won't obsessively keep up with these things, then the profits to be gained from an organic claim will be greater than the losses from not being vegetarian anymore.

I'm sure that there are chocolate bars that do not use animal products OR unnatural ingredients anyway. Anybody have any recommendatons? Fair trade's always a bonus too.

Fair trade? a bonus? considering some of the scams that have been reported - such as FT.com / World - The bitter cost of €˜fair trade€™ coffee, it's hard to see what bonus there is in so called fair trade.

Could do better | Consumer and ethical living | Life and Health is also pretty interesting.

Fairtrade is booming - but is it still a fair deal? - Independent Online Edition > Invest & Save as is that.

Even the Conservatives have been on the go about fair trade - this guy Nuclear Power makes a very good point that fair trade is free trade - not the current system.

For the Guardian and the Independent to openly question Fairtrade is a sign that something isn't right, surely.

Is it a competition?! If two people give different amounts of money to charity, they're both still being charitable.

I have been having arguments about this woth people for ages and finally found another person who knows that its true.

im so so sorry that i upset you enough for you to try and make a point about my post.

Jesus you speak some amount of shit.

As a person that claims to know a shit-load about business, you think a wise business move would be to piss off vegetarians, providing you can afford it? What a cock.

And if they don't like meat, yet eat this; which contains the lining of a calfs stomach. Not a cow, so its not a by-product of producing beef, it has to be from a calf, so baby cows are slaughtered purely to get their stomach lining, then they simply aren't a vegetarian.

Thats like saying "I'm a vegetraian, except for white meat."

haha, exactly.

i had this discussion with my family about me being vegitarian, and they were like...

"you know, some vegetarians only eat fish", and "some vegitarians eat chicken"

so they're not vegitarians then!

You missed the point about rennet: it is the more organic method. And your last sentence struck me as completely hypocritical. So... you're a silly idealist?

I think you're making claims about chemicals being fine, and people dying of hunger otherwise are a bit unfounded. The percentage of wastage from farms (at least in the fruit and veg department) is massive even with chemicals being used to make their produce more supermarket friendly. The problem lies with the fussy customer. If we didn't all care about 'spots on our apples', I'm sure we probably could live organically quite comfortabley.

I know Rennet is more Organic, I was making two seperate points.

The percentage of wastage from farms is already being adressed by the European CAP which is a load of shite, but is doing more to tackle agricultural overproduction that going Organic ever will. The reason these modern farming methods were developed was to stamp out diseases and increase growth. Why take a backward step? That's like trading in my car for a horse and cart.

Guest bluesxman

Apparently too much calcium can increase the risk of dementia in later life so I'm getting ready to sue all my primary school teachers for feeding me that milk.