aberdeen-music

[GIG] Kartta + Jeniferever @ The Tunnels

Guest idol_wild

Jeniferever were on too late, that's probably why the crowd slowly disappered. I fucked off halfway through them because it was gone midnight and I was knackered. They were good, but not enough to keep me awake by that point.

Kartta were great, despite what they think. Possibly not their best gig but by no means a bad one.

Katerwaul were alright. Showed promise, but as I walked in halfway through the set I couldn't really get into it.

Parity's Fall played a solid set but their songs seem a lot quieter than I remember them. Guess they're "progressing". I liked the drum pad.

The acoustic guy was great. Good voice and a very talented guitarist. Shame the mood was spoiled by a couple of the Copy:Venhell boys showing up halfway through :p

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoyed the gig last night, here are my thoughts:

Katerwaul- They had equal parts i liked and didn't like. Tim's great at the wailing/droney singing parts (they follow the music really well) but can't sing in key when he's normally singing. The instrumental opener was fucking ace and there were some great musical moments througout their set. I've previously seen Bench a few times and i gues Katerwaul are not too much of a departure from that, not that it's a bad thing by any means- i liked Bench, but it'd be nice to see where they progress in the future.

Paritiy's Fall- Now i absolutely hate being a dick about other people's music,especially when i've spoken to them before and they seemed like nice guys, but they are possibly the worst band i have ever seen live. I dunno whether they were trying to hard or what but the song dynamics don't work, the guitar lines were uninspiring, the vocals were awful and the keyboards made me lose frequencies in my hearing that i'll never be able to use for music again :( It's not all doom and gloom though, there were some Death Cab/Jetplane Landing moments that i liked.

Kartta- I liked them much more than i liked Dedalus when i saw them at the Jeniferever gig we played. I like Rob's vocals (kind of a cross between the guy from iLIKETRAINS and Ian Curtis, in my opinion) and the three guitars work really well together. Musically they have all the sonic elements of Broken Social Scene with some arthouse kitsch and some great 80s indie guitar moments. The melodica wasn't loud enough during the songs though, which was a shame. I'll definitely be along to see them again at some point.

Paul Marshall- Out of place on the bill, maybe should've gone on between Parity's Fall and Kartta, but a nice change in dynamics. Unfortunately he came across as one of the ten a penny troubador types that are plaguing music at the moment and while his music and voice were nice and his songs were well structured and flowed well it was nothing jaw-dropping or inspiring msuically. I still enjoyed him though.

Jeniferever- I thought they were great, though not as good as the first time i saw them, and the new material sounds awesome live. They've got a nice full sound and their songs are very vibrant and passionate.

It's a pity that two out of the three times they've played in Aberdeen there's been a pretty poor turnout. Admittedly there was the Man Utd game on last night but there was literally no promotion for this at all so low numbers doesn't surprise me. Aside from Kartta posting it up on here there was next to nothing. No posters (apart from the pretty one's i saw in the Tunnels though i hadn't seen those anywhere else), no customary Jamesy based three bulletins from each of his myspace accounts at brunchtime, lunchtime and teatime on the day of the gig and nothing else on the net other than the full RFR gig list. It's just a bit of a shame really because no doubt they won't be back and they probably won't talk us up to the other acts they know. We'll see, i guess time will tell.

I quite enjoyed the gig last night, here are my thoughts:

Katerwaul- They had equal parts i liked and didn't like. Tim's great at the wailing/droney singing parts (they follow the music really well) but can't sing in key when he's normally singing. The instrumental opener was fucking ace and there were some great musical moments througout their set. I've previously seen Bench a few times and i gues Katerwaul are not too much of a departure from that, not that it's a bad thing by any means- i liked Bench, but it'd be nice to see where they progress in the future.

Cheers for that. We've not played in a very long time and we were all a bit nervous. It was all a bit strange. I had to take center stage last night to make change overs smoother and it didn't help the nerves much. However Nick our drummer has never been in a band before let alone played live so I think he did a sterling job last night. We are trying to be different to Bench but we're just writing material as to how we feel and not trying too hard to be different. Thanks again.

I was well impressed with Kartta as well. Close your eyes during the first song and it could have been Godspeed You Black Emperor! (or whatever they are calling themselves these days)

I think the problem last night was that there were simply too many support acts. Would I be right in thinking Jeniferever played quite a short set last night? 40 minutes or so? I wonder if this was because of the soon approaching closing time by the time they went on.

Jeniferever were good, but as others have said, they weren’t as good as the first time they played Aberdeen. Although I can’t blame them for perhaps being a little less than enthusiastic considering they ended up playing to probably about 25 people.

It's a pity that two out of the three times they've played in Aberdeen there's been a pretty poor turnout. Admittedly there was the Man Utd game on last night but there was literally no promotion for this at all so low numbers doesn't surprise me. Aside from Kartta posting it up on here there was next to nothing. No posters (apart from the pretty one's i saw in the Tunnels though i hadn't seen those anywhere else), no customary Jamesy based three bulletins from each of his myspace accounts at brunchtime, lunchtime and teatime on the day of the gig and nothing else on the net other than the full RFR gig list. It's just a bit of a shame really because no doubt they won't be back and they probably won't talk us up to the other acts they know. We'll see, i guess time will tell.

man, its easy enough to book them if you reckon you can do a better job

drop a line to phillip at ever day is like sunday booking or oh vernoa booking (cant remember who took jeniferever after EDILS seperated)

man, its easy enough to book them if you reckon you can do a better job

drop a line to phillip at ever day is like sunday booking or oh vernoa booking (cant remember who took jeniferever after EDILS seperated)

Aye, i know. Not sure i've got the time for it to be honest. i don't think i'd do it justice.

Guest bluesxman

5 acts was too many and I must admit it was only stubborness on my part that prevented me leaving after 2 songs of Jeniferever's set again. Glad I stayed but after getting home to bed after 01:00, 06:20 wake up call was grim....apparently the Tunnels weren't told they were taking a tour support with them. 3 local acts was probably too many in the first place I suppose.

Katerwaul were good, a lot of their stuff reminded me of days spent listening to Swervedriver etc in the early 90's. I missed most of Parity's Fall, for some reason I had always envisaged them as a Goth/shoegazing type of thing, which they aren't at all. Think it's the name.

Guest idol_wild

Thanks for the kind words, people. I enjoyed last night, despite thinking it was far from our best performance.

I thought Katerwaul were good. As Alkaline said, the opener was fantastic! To an extent, it was a bit 'by numbers', but I was still massively impressed. They had plenty energy and sonically, they were spot on, despite not having much of a soundcheck. Personally, I think Tim's vocals very much suit what they do and I will certainly be keeping an eye out for their next gig.

Unfortunately, I missed much of the Parity's Fall set, but what I did catch was very tight and worthwhile. Nothing 'new' happening, but they are definitely, in my view, a worthwhile act to go and see for those who never have.

Jeniferever were excellent for the first three songs...then I wondered if it was still the same song. They were very samey. The individual guitar parts were hard to pick out, so it was just a wall of noise. I remember thinking the same last time I saw them. The drummer, however, was fantastic. He kept it interesting - one of the best rhythmic drummers I've ever seen.

Guest bluesxman

I was a bit bewildered at one point trying to figure out how they were producing a string section sound when no-one was near any keyboards, then I spotted the laptop down by the drummer.:stupid:

Haha, i can still whinge about it. I'd do a lot better if it was my job.

Aye, rightio...I do Jeniferever as a favour to Phil EDiLS and because I've got to know the boys well, and they're nice lads but at the same time they're typically moody and pretentious - you should see their rider and demands..

Also, had no idea about the support until I got a call yesterday..

Unfort, I'm in London, I've been up and down 3 times in the last 2 weeks unavoidably...

Ever thought that Jeniferever actually dont have a fanbase at all? Is that so hard to believe? IN terms of the mainstream, apart from maybe one article in Rock Sound - they've had NO press and NO radio play...

On top of that..

3 locals and only 40 people there? Aye, suppose that's my fault as well...

Do you have any fucking idea how much I have on my plate?

40 odd shows - all to sort locals/market/advance/run(if humanly possible) it's beyond on a joke, but it's what I choose to do I know but a little bit of appreciation every now and again wouldn't go a miss..

Maybe I should just fucking give-up. Some people are never fucking happy. Phil, don't have time? Too many TV's to polish? Loads of gigs with the band? Pffft, then only gig I can ever remember you doing was I KIlled the Prom Queen - which I booked and organised for you, and sorted the locals - and all you did was chuck up a couple of shitty a4 posters...

Maybe I should just fucking give-up. Some people are never fucking happy. Phil, don't have time? Too many TV's to polish? Loads of gigs with the band? Pffft, then only gig I can ever remember you doing was I KIlled the Prom Queen - which I booked and organised for you, and sorted the locals - and all you did was chuck up a couple of shitty a4 posters...

I've got a lot on my plate too Jamesy it's not just polishing TV's you know.

You did not book IKTPQ, i did. I had the contact and booked it through their UK booking agent. Ross helped me out initially by agreeing to add them a Glasgow date too, that was as far as your involvement got aside from helping out with the catering and liaising with me. I handled all the bands and was the only person present there on the night (though i do seem to remember you turning up, acting smug and taking the credit). I decided the running order, handled Jimmy and the soundchecks (not that he needs handling though), hired a bass amp to cover your lack of a backline and went and got/paid for it myself (arranging the loan of a car as i don't have one myself). I had all the email contact/phone contact with them etc. I can go on and back that up if you really want to start lifting my skirt tails for a peep son. I also ran the night on time and made a profit. You could also ask the Blessed guys, the Lost guys and Today We Fight and they'd all confirm that i booked them.

What's your point again?

I was well impressed with Kartta as well. Close your eyes during the first song and it could have been Godspeed You Black Emperor! (or whatever they are calling themselves these days)

I think the problem last night was that there were simply too many support acts. Would I be right in thinking Jeniferever played quite a short set last night? 40 minutes or so? I wonder if this was because of the soon approaching closing time by the time they went on.

Jeniferever were good, but as others have said, they werent as good as the first time they played Aberdeen. Although I cant blame them for perhaps being a little less than enthusiastic considering they ended up playing to probably about 25 people.

i think the problem last night was that it was a tuesday, it was 7 quid to get in and half the folk who might've been into jeniferever were at a gig in drummonds. i'm not blaming anyone though, sometimes folk just don't turn up.

come along on friday for the copy haho gig and you'll be able to hear the first two songs with the full sound they're meant to have so long as my guitar is working. :)

Aye, rightio...I do Jeniferever as a favour to Phil EDiLS and because I've got to know the boys well, and they're nice lads but at the same time they're typically moody and pretentious - you should see their rider and demands..

Unfort, I'm in London, I've been up and down 3 times in the last 2 weeks unavoidably...

Ever thought that Jeniferever actually dont have a fanbase at all? Is that so hard to believe? IN terms of the mainstream, apart from maybe one article in Rock Sound - they've had NO press and NO radio play...

On top of that..

40 odd shows - all to sort locals/market/advance/run(if humanly possible) it's beyond on a joke, but it's what I choose to do I know but a little bit of appreciation every now and again wouldn't go a miss..

I would also like to point out that what you quoted me on was a direct reference to what Maxi had said previously and that all i was meaning was that if promotion was my only job, not the 42.5hrs a week full time employment that i do at the moment (incidentally i'd love to see you do my job as well as i do Jamesy), i'd be able to do it better than if i was doing it on the side. The whole reason i didn't continue down the promotions route, despite having a decent run with the Prom Queen gig, was that i didn't think i could do it justice part-time and i'd rather do something right than screw it up.

The only reason you feel so hard done by is that you work on your own effectively. Maybe you should look at getting someone in to help you out if it's that big a work load that you can't manage it yourself, i'm sure there is some kid out there that you could give a leg up like Ross Morrison did with you.

You should learn to take criticism a bit better if you want to succeed in your current field, i don't remember saying you were shite at what you do or directly having a go at you. Why do you always think i'm having a pop and jump down my throat. I do actually know why, but i'm not that bothered that i would need to discuss it on here. Feel free to phone me or come and talk to me in person though.

I do actually know at least 4 or 5 people who would've been there last night if they'd known about it and several others that were there were in a similar boat.

And you're right Jeniferever aren't a massive band i.e their not Babyshambles, 36 Crazyfists or Paolo Nutini so it wasn't going to sell itself was it. That does imply that YOU would have to actually do something to sell it.

I would also like to point out that what you quoted me on was a direct reference to what Maxi had said previously and that all i was meaning was that if promotion was my only job, not the 42.5hrs a week full time employment that i do at the moment (incidentally i'd love to see you do my job as well as i do Jamesy), i'd be able to do it better than if i was doing it on the side. The whole reason i didn't continue down the promotions route, despite having a decent run with the Prom Queen gig, was that i didn't think i could do it justice part-time and i'd rather do something right than screw it up.

The only reason you feel so hard done by is that you work on your own effectively. Maybe you should look at getting someone in to help you out if it's that big a work load that you can't manage it yourself, i'm sure there is some kid out there that you could give a leg up like Ross Morrison did with you.

You should learn to take criticism a bit better if you want to succeed in your current field, i don't remember saying you were shite at what you do or directly having a go at you. Why do you always think i'm having a pop and jump down my throat. I do actually know why, but i'm not that bothered that i would need to discuss it on here. Feel free to phone me or come and talk to me in person though.

I do actually know at least 4 or 5 people who would've been there last night if they'd known about it and several others that were there were in a similar boat.

And you're right Jeniferever aren't a massive band i.e their not Babyshambles, 36 Crazyfists or Paolo Nutini so it wasn't going to sell itself was it. That does imply that YOU would have to actually do something to sell it.

can we just go back to bigging up kartta instead of arguing about promotion? :D

Christ, are you moaning again Jamesy about how hard your life is?

Oh come on, how hard is it to deal with bands? You do what they want you to do and everyone goes home happy, it's not really rocket science. It might be if it involves actually having to put some effort in, but otherwise, I can't imagine it being that hard. Fair enough, they might be pretentious about certain things, but aren't all bands picky to an extent?

Fair enough, but did you not think to double check details like supports a few days in advance just to make sure one way or another?

So why don't you sort out cover while you're away? Granted, you might not be able to, but if you cared so much about the job you're doing, you'd have paid the cover out of your own pocket. Course, maybe you just don't give a toss.

Which is where your job as a promoter comes in. You know, to promote the band. If they haven't had any press, why not try and get them some? You know, maybe make a story up to get it in a few local rags - heck, I can think of a multitude of tricks to promote a band that no-one's heard of. Heck, you could've simply put up a few posters saying "compared favourably to somerandomband" and you'd get people turning up - but really, what did you expect by not having any posters up?

On top of that..

Isn't your job to promote? The bands job is to perform, which is why you book them, right? And then you promote them, and everyone makes money and goes home happy. Oh wait, I forgot, you want the bands to do your job for you too.

Thing is, you're being paid to do it. It's not like you're doing it purely for the love of it, is it? So don't whine about having too much on your plate, you're choosing to the job aren't you? If you don't like it, why don't you quit?

Phil does a bloody good job of promoting his band even when he isn't asked to, if anything, that says he'd do a better job than you.

As an aside, I'm kicking myself that I missed this gig, I've wanted to see Jeniferever ever since Ross linked me to their myspace what seems like years ago now, and I keep missing them. Why'd I miss them? Because there wasn't any posters up anywhere and I hadn't bothered to check this thread since it was first posted.

Edit : Please, someone get Jeniferever back up here and show them what Aberdeen can do for them.

Christ, are you moaning again Jamesy about how hard your life is?

Oh come on, how hard is it to deal with bands? You do what they want you to do and everyone goes home happy, it's not really rocket science. It might be if it involves actually having to put some effort in, but otherwise, I can't imagine it being that hard. Fair enough, they might be pretentious about certain things, but aren't all bands picky to an extent?

Fair enough, but did you not think to double check details like supports a few days in advance just to make sure one way or another?

So why don't you sort out cover while you're away? Granted, you might not be able to, but if you cared so much about the job you're doing, you'd have paid the cover out of your own pocket. Course, maybe you just don't give a toss.

Which is where your job as a promoter comes in. You know, to promote the band. If they haven't had any press, why not try and get them some? You know, maybe make a story up to get it in a few local rags - heck, I can think of a multitude of tricks to promote a band that no-one's heard of. Heck, you could've simply put up a few posters saying "compared favourably to somerandomband" and you'd get people turning up - but really, what did you expect by not having any posters up?

Isn't your job to promote? The bands job is to perform, which is why you book them, right? And then you promote them, and everyone makes money and goes home happy. Oh wait, I forgot, you want the bands to do your job for you too.

Thing is, you're being paid to do it. It's not like you're doing it purely for the love of it, is it? So don't whine about having too much on your plate, you're choosing to the job aren't you? If you don't like it, why don't you quit?

Phil does a bloody good job of promoting his band even when he isn't asked to, if anything, that says he'd do a better job than you.

As an aside, I'm kicking myself that I missed this gig, I've wanted to see Jeniferever ever since Ross linked me to their myspace what seems like years ago now, and I keep missing them. Why'd I miss them? Because there wasn't any posters up anywhere and I hadn't bothered to check this thread since it was first posted.

Edit : Please, someone get Jeniferever back up here and show them what Aberdeen can do for them.

KEYBOARD JOCKEY

"no experience in promoting shows, always acts like he knows better than the people with experience, never actually does anything other than jump on the net and take pot shots at people, never willing to get sleeves up and make a show happen"

this thread will prove that aberdeen(-music.com?) has a terrible attitude, people would rather sit on their computer seats than make anything happen, but will quite happily scathe anybody trying to do anything about it. yes, jamesy doesnt promote shows very well, we have ascertained that, but if you were really as enthusiastic as you all make out, and if you really cared what bands thought of aberdeen you would be out trying to help, or you would be doing shows yourselves.

KEYBOARD JOCKEY

"no experience in promoting shows, always acts like he knows better than the people with experience, never actually does anything other than jump on the net and take pot shots at people, never willing to get sleeves up and make a show happen"

this thread will prove that aberdeen(-music.com?) has a terrible attitude, people would rather sit on their computer seats than make anything happen, but will quite happily scathe anybody trying to do anything about it. yes, jamesy doesnt promote shows very well, we have ascertained that, but if you were really as enthusiastic as you all make out, and if you really cared what bands thought of aberdeen you would be out trying to help, or you would be doing shows yourselves.

word. cloud's post is a crock of shit. and jamesy does a good job in the main, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't still be doing his job if he really sucked at promoting his gigs. there's no point sniping at each other on the internet, though i guess that message will never get across to some folks on this forum. i've been shouting it for the last 10 years to little notice.

this damned arguments been repeating itself over and over and over throughout the years. sometimes shows just don't attract people. deal with it and move on. i still don't understand why jeniferever wouldn't want to come back to aberdeen based on that one gig. quitters. :)

word. cloud's post is a crock of shit. and jamesy does a good job in the main, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't still be doing his job if he really sucked at promoting his gigs. there's no point sniping at each other on the internet, though i guess that message will never get across to some folks on this forum. i've been shouting it for the last 10 years to little notice.

this damned arguments been repeating itself over and over and over throughout the years. sometimes shows just don't attract people. deal with it and move on. i still don't understand why jeniferever wouldn't want to come back to aberdeen based on that one gig. quitters. :)

Yeah, i agree, but just because you don't do something doesn't mean you can't comment on it. I think in the case of this it's just served to point out to me that Jamesy can't take criticism and is a liar with a massive ego, but hey we all knew that already.

Anyway, all credit to him for getting the band here in the first place and assembling a good line up for a good price. Whether i like the little shit or not i didn't say he couldn't do his job which is what i think he was getting his panties in a bunch about in the first place.

And i'm sure the Jeniferever guys will be back up here at some point so long as the money's good and their pretentious ego's are massaged enough so all's good in the music world.

End of debate/story.

I was postering for Jonah Matranga the day after this show... i saw a grand total of 5 posters for it (4 in tunnels and 1 in one-up)

If i had known about the gig i would've been there, but at the time i was internet-less... though it seems even if I had the internet the only chance I’d have had of seeing it would have been on this thread…

Jamesy, I would love for you to give me the same budget you spend on advertisement normally for one of your shows, and let me have a go. You probably wont even bother contacting me, but I’m serious… just pick one of your shows and I will advertise it myself free of charge… What’ve you got to loose?

Infact… give me no budget at all, I bet I could still do a better job of it.

:up: