aberdeen-music

Great Movie Moments...

Diesel

The final scene of The Searchers

The surprise on that German's face when Richard Burton hands over the 'master list' in Where Eagles Dare (Genius)

Michael J Fox plays Johnny B. Goode in Back to The Future

Harrison Ford shoots that sword guy in Raiders of The Lost Ark

And... when Jimmy Stewart runs through Bedford Falls in It's A Wonderful Life shouting hello and merry xmas to everyone

The bit in Amelie where the beggar says "No thanks, I never work on Sundays".

Also the bit where she leads the blind man through the street describing sights, sounds and smells.

Clare Quilty on the hotel porch "Where the devil did you get her?" conversation in Kubrick's Lolita.

Origin of Love/Hansel's childhood playing in the oven from Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Carlin's revenge in "Scum". The eye-watering snooker-balls-in-a-sock-clung-off-the-face, followed by a short trip upstairs to repeatedly dunt Banks' head off the sink, a few body shots, the immortal "Right Banks, you BASTARD! I'm the daddy now, next time I'll FUCKING kill ya!", finished off by several kicks to the bollocks. Legendary.

The fantastic "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon..." story from Del Preston in Wayne's World II.

Alice Cooper's "Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors...." bit in Waynes World.

Patrick Batemen posing and flexing in the mirror as he has a threesome with some prostitutes, in American Pyscho.

The end of "The Prestige"

Carlin's revenge in "Scum". The eye-watering snooker-balls-in-a-sock-clung-off-the-face, followed by a short trip upstairs to repeatedly dunt Banks' head off the sink, a few body shots, the immortal "Right Banks, you BASTARD! I'm the daddy now, next time I'll FUCKING kill ya!", finished off by several kicks to the bollocks. Legendary.

Cool.

Have you seen the original TV version from '77 - the one that got banned before it was remade scene-for-scene as a movie in '79?

Carlin gives Phil Daniel's character a right twatting in the snooker ball scene that's even MORE brutal that the cinema release.

Phil Daniels looks about 14? - Pity his career has seen him join the ranks of Eastendaaaaa's. For shame....

...which segues neatly into today's great movie moment...

Phil Daniels, Quadrophenia...

Jimmy cuts across a T-Junction and his scooter gets totalled by a PO van...

• [screams]

• [Jimmy] "Ah, fuckin' hell! Look what you've done! You cunts!"
  • [Driver] "Why didn't you stop?"
  • [Jimmy] "You've killed me scooter! Fuck off! Leave it alone! Get off it!"
  • [Driver, trying to help] "It's only a dent..."
  • [Jimmy] "Fuck off! Get off it!"
  • [Driver] "Take it easy, take it easy, now."
  • [Jimmy] "Fuckin' leave it alone! Get off! Get off it! There it is. It's on the floor now."
  • [Driver] "You're lucky you weren't killed."
  • [Jimmy] "Fuckin' lucky, am I?"
  • [Driver] "Course you are."
  • [Jimmy] "Bastard!"
  • [Driver] "I didn't see you."
  • [Jimmy] "Fuck off! Go away."
  • [Driver] "I've been driving for 14 years, never had an accident."
  • [Jimmy] "No fuckin' accident! You got me, didn't you?"

• [Jimmy] "Why don't you kill me? All of ya!"

• [Jimmy] "All of you fuckin' Mr Postmen, fuck off, go on! Fuck off!"

Thought of another last night. One of the funniest scenes ever from 'So I married an axe murderer'

Stewart: (Charlie's Dad) William! Move your head!

Look at the size of that boy's head!

Tony: Shhhh!

Stewart: I'm not kidding, that's like an orange on a toothpick!

Tony: Shh! You're going to give the kid a complex.

Stewart: Well, that's a huge noggin!

That's a virtual planetoid! Has its own weather system!

Head! Move!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Have you seen the original TV version from '77 - the one that got banned before it was remade scene-for-scene as a movie in '79?

Sure have, saw it on TV about ooh, 15 years ago? The dialogue seemed a bit tamer, I remember Archer having a dodgy 'tache as well. Surely the snooker ball scene couldn't be any more brutal? I must have seen that film about 80 times, and I still flinch when Richards gets bingoed by Carlin. Oocha beasties!

There was a thread on here about it a while ago, someone said that both versions are available on a 2-disc DVD set. Essential, I would say.

Guest DustyDeviada
Sure have, saw it on TV about ooh, 15 years ago? The dialogue seemed a bit tamer, I remember Archer having a dodgy 'tache as well. Surely the snooker ball scene couldn't be any more brutal? I must have seen that film about 80 times, and I still flinch when Richards gets bingoed by Carlin. Oocha beasties!

There was a thread on here about it a while ago, someone said that both versions are available on a 2-disc DVD set. Essential, I would say.

Yeah, it was on Channle 4 circa 1990 as part of a "Banned" season, they also had the first TV showing of Life of Brian.

Interesting sub plot where Carlin takes a "missus" that was removed from the remake. In fact, that reminds me, I don't know if it's great, but the potting shed scene is certainly memorable for all the wrong reasons. o_O

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yeah, it was on Channle 4 circa 1990 as part of a "Banned" season, they also had the first TV showing of Life of Brian.

Interesting sub plot where Carlin takes a "missus" that was removed from the remake. In fact, that reminds me, I don't know if it's great, but the potting shed scene is certainly memorable for all the wrong reasons. o_O

That sounds about right, I know I was still at school when it came on.

I think Carlin's "missus" in the original was Davis, the boy who ended up being gang-raped and it's almost unwatchable, really brutal stuff. It's responsible for the Bastard Squad song "Triple dry-arsed in the greenhouse".

Guest DustyDeviada
I think Carlin's "missus" in the original was Davis, the boy who ended up being gang-raped

No, because in the original Davis goes to see Carlin after being raped, but ends up not telling him, because Carlin insists that if he wants to speak to him, his missus gets to hear as well.

Will have to pick up the special edition DVD.

Oh, and the scene is made all the worse by this:

Scumgrab.jpg

Guest Jake Wifebeater
No, because in the original Davis goes to see Carlin after being raped, but ends up not telling him, because Carlin insists that if he wants to speak to him, his missus gets to hear as well.

Ah, memory's a bit hazy on this, well, it was 16/17 years ago I saw it. I remember he was about to tell Carlin then said "No, it's OK, forget about it". Carlin, without even glancing up from his copy of Mayfair, says "I 'ave".

And if that picture of the grinning Mr. Sands has ever featured in your nightmares, you're not the only one.

Anchorman: "sex panther" scene, when Ron calls Brian Fantana after losing Baxter, The news team gang brawl.

Good call, "Smells like Bigfoot's dick!"

I like when Ralf Machio and Steve Vai 'cut heads' in Crossroads for the Devil's entertainment. Mostly because Vai gets his ass handed to him. I hate that wank.

Just checked the credits on the DVD, they say that the guitar duel was written and performed by Steve Vai and Ry Cooder. So either of us could be right!

Wikipedia says Cooder for the slide and the fingered parts towards the end were Vai (not that wikipedia counts for much). The winning lick by the karate kid is much more vai-esque than the rest of the bits he's supposed to play.

I'm sure I've got a total guitar vai special that says which bits are which. The whole vai piece is called Eugene's Trick Bag incidentally.

Credits from Steve Vai's Elusive Light And Sound vol1:

Butler's Bag (Ry Cooder : slide guitar) from Crossroads

Head-Cuttin' Duel (Ry Cooder : slide guitar) from Crossroads

Eugene's Trick Bag from Crossroads

Taken from a Ry Cooder fan site.