aberdeen-music

any local bands doing stuff like...

red5

Originally posted by Paul_CT:

no I cant say that they do...

hmmm, well maybe you could use your possible? influence and suggest it to them. otherwise i could use my jedi powers to achieve the required hirsuteness if i so desired...

mogwai aren't local as far as i know. well they weren't the last time i checked anyway. i'm looking for a local band for local people, i'll have no shouting here...

Unfortunately none of Bench have any beards, although our drummer sometimes has a bit of one and I forget to shave quite often. We are more influenced (well at least I am) by bands such as Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed as apposed to sounding like them, although there are a few bits in some of our songs that are reminiscent of those bands. We may write some stuff like that in the near future though.

we're(dedalus) heavily influenced by godspeed and explosions in the sky, and general constellation style post rockness. though most people tend to just spot the post punk influences. check out clive ravensby for constellation style improvisations. we've done a few instrumentals in the past that have been very godspeedy but we don't tend to play them anymore. may release some though.

i'm also currently putting together an improv band which will probably sound similar to stuff like that but hopefully not too similar. as i'm a lazy cunt this may take a while to get going though.

hookers green #1 used to be the premier band for that stuff round these parts but they've moved on alot now. completely revamped their sound.

slight angle on above:-

Kasule who are playing Drakes on 15th May (with Frogpocket, Chevron & Electric Tibet) are loosly described as Joy Division big chords; Ulrich Schnauss/ Slowdive/Elbow guitars/Slow-Faster-Harder -Louder type Spaceman3 & Mogwai They will impress anybody who was impressed by Explosions in the Sky.

Come see, come believe this line up, Kasule must be something if they are headlining

this amazing line up...........

Guest stuartmaxwell

bench are great but sound nothing like those bands, however i realise that they are influenced by them, its a pretty lazy comparison

i would have said dedalus but dave got in there first

i cant believe i have still not seen clive ravensby yet, been to three gigs they have played at and missed them each time

i believe that ross from small enclosed area and niall from the gloria flaw are working on something along those lines though

Your right there. I love explosions in the sky, Mogwai and God Speed and listen to them most of all. I know Graham does too. But I'd say our stuff is a lot more orientated around strumming and chord playing. This is prob due to the fact that I can't sing and play guitar at the same time if it's not strumming.

Its prob essential to use alot one minimal guitar some times just using one note and some delay to achieve a sound like E.I.T.S. Having said this there is a track we recorded on our "soon to be relesed album" (see what I did there? wink) just after that E.I.T.S gig. It has no vocals at the moment which is prob why it sounds very similar.

It's not the laziest coparison we've got. Although on some web site for the lemon tree gig with Starfall and Cleartone we were said to "mix traditional drum and bass with DJ scratches infusing them together to get an original sound."

Beats me?!

We've got a new song (which we opened with at Moshulu last night) that sounds like Explosions in the Sky. What a great band, i kick myself every day for missing them @ Drummonds earlier this year. I may have to venture down to Glasgow to see them in the summer. Clive Ravensby are very good, a bit like Mogwai, Godspeed et al.