aberdeen-music

bottom ten bands in Aberdeen

Guest RomanChoke

My ideal would be for all involved to get an equal cut of any money that was made etc. In an ideal world' date=' which of course we dont live in![/quote']

Actualkly this is more like the Baby Karma project I'm doing with Emma where for the first album at least everything is split between me, the producer who's doing a lot of instrumentation and Emma.

Course we haven't gigged or released anything so no-ones made anything.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actualkly this is more like the Baby Karma project I'm doing with Emma where for the first album at least everything is split between me' date=' the producer who's doing a lot of instrumentation and Emma.

Course we haven't gigged or released anything so no-ones made anything.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Sounds rather Factory records-ish.

(Which is good).

Yeah ok for a one off what you have said is ok but it just isnt feesable(sp) to do that every week or more than that in order for your band to really get somewhere. To really do that i think you need to move to the area' date=' city, country whatever.[/quote']

It's not good to play any city every week... London included.

Like Stuart said... If you organise the gig properly... one will do and you will achieve what you set to achieve (you won't necessarily get signed - but you only need to play one gig to get signed).

I donlt need to know bands to know musically that they probably couldnt cut it' date=' if you're not orignal and very high quality then the chances are you won't get asked to play many gigs

[/quote']

Goodness me Stuart....that is utter nonsense!

Look at the current crop of so called "fresh" bands coming out of London, you must be old enough to realise they dont have an original bone in their body.

Regardless of where you come from, talent has little to do with success, its the breaks you need.

See as bob said last night we listened to loads of examples of bands out of Aberdeen that if they had been situated near london they would be famous by now. But due to the fact they are so far away from anything it made things a lot harder for them. Sirrius is another example' date=' they most likely would have made something of themselves if they didnt live so far away from london (where the lable that signed them was based hackpen i believe). I feel that aberdeen has produced some brilliant bands over the last ten years easily as good as any you see that have "made" it. The songs are the same, listen to "someday soon" by The Score, that song is easily as good as any of the "indie" anthems that oasis, stereophonics or any of them do. Opal or Summer by Liber8t/Alyssa's Wish are amazing songs again as good as any produced by similar bands big or small. Driveblind are signed to a major lable for christ sake how can it be said that there has been no talented bands in aberdeen?? Thats just a few examples, go out and have a listen for yourself, the fat hippie website has a lot of good aberdeen bands on it, aubl has some good songs, go on pure volume or any of the bands web sties, when you have a proper look there is a lot of good music, just because these bands arent thrust in your faces as much as maybe the lesser bands are.[/quote']

being signed to a major label doesent mean your good it means you sell

i know its not difficult to get their my point was that these bands tend not to get noticed so much due to the fact that record reps wont come up to aberdeen as its too far away so these bands never get the chance.

parlophone had a scout in aberdeen last year, he wanted a demo off dedalus i think

Yeah they had three after them before the chose one. They are making an album at the moment as far as i know. But yeah i think it is in america.

i remember reading about the label interest, but i thought nothing of it after ive read alot of underground band press releases that say "major interest" because a scout made a social visit to the pub they played in

I dont think it comes down to are they that good' date=' more to how far are they willing to go to make it. As has been said Aberdeen is not the place to make it. You need to take your band to London, Mancherster, even Glasgow if you really think you have a chance of making it. I think it sometimes looks like too much of a dauting task for most bands. Afterall it does mean leaving everything behind in pursuit of something that is in no way guarenteed.[/quote']

You don't have to sell your house to get a few gigs down South, you know... No matter how good you are, if you can't organise yourself to play a gig or two anything more than five miles from your house then why would an A&R type want to sign you up? He's looking for a band that'll make his company money, and that means someone who is willing and able to put in the work, get out and play the gigs, and sell the records.

Aww' date=' Bob split before he could respond to my post. Did he have a "B" on both bum cheek?[/quote']

I was out, drinking, checking out some music too... besides, I didn't really think that your last post needed a response other than 'fair enough'. I took your last question as being rhetorical...

Perhaps I was overly harsh' date=' there are a lot of shit bands who are also bitchy and talentless. I for one would love to see Aberdeen bands really make a dent in the UK. However, although Edinburgh and Glasgow are larger cities, they have produced several bands in the last few years who have done very well, Aberdeen hasnt. Im not trying to be negative but When was the last Doric Travis etc?[/color']

...nice first sentence though.

mentally though burnham' date=' if you <psychology mode on>, Aberdonians percieve themselves to be isolated in general, we're forever moaning about how far it is from Aberdeen to anywhere - and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a factor when it comes to playing gigs outwith of Aberdeen.[/quote']

Nail on head.

I'm not sure how a lot of Aberdeen bands would react to silence - after having to pay a considerable amount to even be there in the first place. Aberdeen is a very respectful place towards bands - if it wasn't' date=' truly rubbish and shocking bands like Gone 2 Far would never get anywhere.

It's funny, how many Aberdeen bands could handle getting slagged to fuck and then ignored by a crowd? I can think of a fair few bands/egos that would crumble, right across the musical spectrum if they got such abuse, particularly if they had put all their effort into the opportunity.[/quote']

I could take it. If someone in the crowd wants to heckle they should. If the whole crowd wants to heckle then go for it. We played a gig the other day and I was told that one of the musicians in the audience was 'heckling' our band 'quietly'. Just shouting out and making a nuisance of himself, only not loudly enough that we or most of the audience could hear it.

I'd name the guy, but I forgot his name already.

I was out' date=' drinking, checking out some music too... besides, I didn't really think that your last post needed a response other than 'fair enough'. I took your last question as being rhetorical...

...nice first sentence though.

Nail on head.

I could take it. If someone in the crowd wants to heckle they should. If the whole crowd wants to heckle then go for it. We played a gig the other day and I was told that one of the musicians in the audience was 'heckling' our band 'quietly'. Just shouting out and making a nuisance of himself, only not loudly enough that we or most of the audience could hear it.

I'd name the guy, but I forgot his name already.[/quote']

That wouldnt perhaps happen to be that little child with mohawk who sat down at the front now would it?? He amused me with how pathetic he could look and with how he was trying to making a statement!! haha what a loser that guy was. To be honest i dont mind someone not liking my music but something like that should be left for primary school teachers to deal with not adults at gigs.

That wouldnt perhaps happen to be that little child with mohawk who sat down at the front now would it?? He amused me with how pathetic he could look and with how he was trying to making a statement!! haha what a loser that guy was. To be honest i dont mind someone not liking my music but something like that should be left for primary school teachers to deal with not adults at gigs.

No, not him I'm afraid. We're building up our 'fanbase' already though - which is nice.

Out of interest' date=' how did Drive Blind go about getting themselves noticed?

I'm not a fan of their music, but you got to give them credit for what they have achieved thus far.[/quote']

Got themselves a gig at the VIPER ROOM.......when jonny depp owns the club it aint that hard to get noticed......

And as far as i know they are on an american label....will be released in usa first id imagine....and will probably fail big time.....but then they will probably do ok in the uk....(sounds like a punk song....do ok in the uk....woop....im a musical genius)

Got themselves a gig at the VIPER ROOM.......when jonny depp owns the club it aint that hard to get noticed......

And as far as i know they are on an american label....will be released in usa first id imagine....and will probably fail big time.....but then they will probably do ok in the uk....(sounds like a punk song....do ok in the uk....woop....im a musical genius)

Why do you think it will fail big time?

Why do you think it will fail big time?

Just because america is incredibly hard to break....and unfortunatly the 90's british indie sound has never been recieved well stateside....we all know the usa sticks with what it likes and for now thats the horrible cock rock emo sound....but like i said im sure it will do ok in the uk....i dont really like driveblind too much but i do wish them success.....but i dont think this will ever happen in the land of george bush voting scum.....

Just because america is incredibly hard to break....and unfortunatly the 90's british indie sound has never been recieved well stateside....we all know the usa sticks with what it likes and for now thats the horrible cock rock emo sound....but like i said im sure it will do ok in the uk....i dont really like driveblind too much but i do wish them success.....but i dont think this will ever happen in the land of george bush voting scum.....

it is but it has been done, aparently american is franz ferdinand mad, oasis could have broken america but they fell out so much and cancelled loads of shows,

ffaf are getting big in the american underground.

idlewild have been trying for ages to break america,

bowling for soup are still trying

Guest Zeenat Aman

I'm meaning before the move to America, I'm guessing that they were already signed, or about to be signd to A & M records by that point.

Guest JockeySnogger

Bowling for Soup will always be on the fringe.....hopefully

They have too much things going against them: Lard ass bassist who seems to have the characteristics of a bowling ball, terrible songs, wanky look, etc (aka all other bands)