aberdeen-music

ATTN: Jammers and other users of house backline

Flash@TMB

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My uncle owns the original space echo. Not sure how well it still works. Think it might need replacement tape.

I heard the electronics eat tone theory before. It seems to be true of some companies but not all. Many people think the mesa boogie roadking is overall the best sounding amp mesa boogie have ever made and it has about more electronics than I have seen anywhere else. Some companies I believe use this as a marketing tool and sometimes even deliberately create models with more features which they intentionally assure don't sound as good as their more 'classic' models.

My uncle owns the original space echo. Not sure how well it still works. Think it might need replacement tape.

I heard the electronics eat tone theory before. It seems to be true of some companies but not all. Many people think the mesa boogie roadking is overall the best sounding amp mesa boogie have ever made and it has about more electronics than I have seen anywhere else. Some companies I believe use this as a marketing tool and sometimes even deliberately create models with more features which they intentionally assure don't sound as good as their more 'classic' models.

It's a scientific fact not a theory LOL! The bigger and more complex an electronic circuit the noiser it becomes, and the more EMF radiation it emits. HiFi manufacturers recognise this, and some companies even experiment with rearranging the layout of the circuit because they have found this to reduce noise and therefore improve fidelity.

S:N ratio. More signal, less noise = more nuances can be heard. So more circuitry = more noise = less nuances therefore tone is being sucked.

Which is why enthusiasts prefer HiFi separates, because they help isolate the noise from the various sections of circuit, cutting down on crosstalk. One of the common things they separate is power and preamp stages. In the guitar world the preamp is used to induce distortion. The Hiwatt is designed to be a clean amp, in other words to pass along as much of the guitar tone as possible, by virtue of having a very quiet circuit, whilst still retaining that warm valve sound. It has no preamp stage, and no IC. To get distortion we use a separate preamp, the Mesa Boogie V-Twin. Although the V-Twin will introduce some noise along the way, there is no crosstalk of EMF between it and the Hiwatt, so more tone is retained.

For a house backline it is important to have the versitality of big multi channel amps like our Engl... and they do sound good, but they do lack the awesome tone of their simpler brethren. If I was a guitar player, then i would just go with one of the simpler amps, preferably something point to point wired with no IC (because integrated circuits are hellishly noise), and build my sound around that. The good thing is that such amps cost less, sound better, and are simpler to set up.

• 4 weeks later...