aberdeen-music

Every Shit Has A Home, Welcome To Yours

Tonight! Dr Drakes! 3 only!

Donside Records Compilation Release Extravaganza No.1!

Doors open at 8pm then catch:

Bill Ely and the Catnips - 8.15 - 8.45 - Like some terrible cajun wind sweeping in from the West curing all diseases it encounters. Guaranteed to stagger you and possibly bring temporary visual paralysis.

Diuretics - 9.00 - 9.30 - These kids know how to rock and they intend to make sure you don't forget it. So don't.

Broken Sunshine - 9.45 - 10.15 - Melody loving punk starlets intent on driving a dagger of light into your dead heart.

King Liar and the Brutes - 10.45 - 11.15 - Europe's Final Band push themselves to the limits every day that they breath air. Tonight will be no different. PLEASE: no flash photography, it could trigger mania and inevitable crowd disfigurement.

Plus!

Special guest DJs Samtex, Bloodlust and No-Way playing every hit-track that you are dieing to hear.

15 track "Compilation Ultra" on-sale throughout the night for precisely 4, featuring the fastest bands from the Western Hemisphere.

Do not get carried away

Hold on: that means you can watch four hot acts and get a 15 track compilation of GOOD bands all in the same place on one night at one low, low price!

It seems to me like the people at Donside must be pretty fucking wired in to he latest lo-fi, hi-fi, no-die sound of this punk-assed city.

Also, I heard that a member of Bill Ely and the Catnips has actually got a hook-tipped prosthetic limb and barks '1,2,3,4' like a sun-stroked helldog to keep time. I simply can't wait to see them.

It was good, very good.

Bill Elly and the catnips were shite, because they swayed further towards novelty than disability and so they're potential was lost.

King Liar and the Brutes were fuckin ace though, and the sampler is amazing. What an acheivment for donside, for student irony, and for all your girlfriends/uber-fans who were constantly taking pictures.

Missed the first band so have no comment.

The diuretics were an alright band, but they weren't structed enough for me, i had idea what was going on sometimes. Also the guitar and vocals were too low, but apart from tha a good band.

Broken Sunshine i just couldn't get into, there songs sounded a bit on the similiar side, and i couldn't really hear the vocals, apart " YOU SUCK" being shouted now and again. Also it looked like the drummr ws scared to hit the drum kit. But if you like pop punk, you will probably enjoy this band.

Missed King Liar and Butes again.

Then i enjoyed the bus jounrey home

Originally posted by Thoth:

Bill Elly and the catnips were shite, because they swayed further towards novelty than disability and so they're potential was lost.

King Liar and the Brutes were fuckin ace though, and the sampler is amazing. What an acheivment for donside, for student irony, and for all your girlfriends/uber-fans who were constantly taking pictures.

Bill Ely did all they could. Student irony had nothing to do with anything you saw last night, though it may factor into things people say about what they saw. They should shut up.

I am truly delighted with what was achieved last night, my sincere thanks to all bands who took part and everyone who attended. The compilation will no doubt appear in One Up shortly.

thankyou king liar, i thopurougly enjoyed the night and did my best to go absolutely fucking insane

all bands rocked, broken sunshine aint my cup of tea but its promising that there is an all girl band in town, give them a year or two then they will make their mark.

but again cheers guys, it was a pleasure

adam

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

great gig! bill ely and the catnips were not only interesting, but very enjoyable too, i liked their two instrument band thing, and the songs had cool lyrics, albeit difficult to hear them. next were the diuretics, who were very ace; fun to watch but really good music also. broken sunshine- im not just following the 'cool kids' with this one. i really dislike them, as they are totally not my cup of tea. but the fresh air outside was good then. unfortunately, i didn't get to stay for king liar *fricking buses* but i swear i will see them some time this century!

Well I enjoyed Broken Sunshine. They drove a wedge of joy into the mire of my misery.

Go and and see them, and you to will be spiritually inflamed and made jubillant by those honourable young ladies.

Keep repeating to yourself "15 years on the sex offender's register, 15 years on the sex offender's register" and you should be safe. Pervert.

Originally posted by randomer:

Yea, but what was with the 'dr drake robot' thing?

I haven't been to drakes in a couple of weeks, is this some new feature?

No. no. The explanation is really quite simple. The owner of Donside records (Bruce Gatsby) was in London on business on Wednesday and so couldn't come to the launch night. Naturally he was going to be the compere but due to his absence he created a robot alter-ego known as 'G.8.T.5.B.Y' and allowed it to compere for him. The robot is therefore copyrighted and belongs to Donside in the same way that King Liar and the Brutes belong to Donside. Donside's association with robots also extends to the ownership of the immense terror-bot 'Super Transformation Valkyrie # 1' which is REAL, and which anyone who attended our Fudgenight gig at Moshulu can tell you all about.

Originally posted by Plato the Greek:

No. no. The explanation is really quite simple. The owner of Donside records (Bruce Gatsby) was in London on business on Wednesday and so couldn't come to the launch night. Naturally he was going to be the compere but due to his absence he created a robot alter-ego known as 'G.8.T.5.B.Y' and allowed it to compere for him.

No no no, that's not quite right at all. Bruce Gatsby is a rather more sinister figure than the Donside Records mouthpieces would have you believe. Dr. Drakes (the bar) had originally agreed to allow Bruce Gatsby to host a night there, but reneged on this after Sharon Drakes started receiving unsolicited and sexually explicit phone calls from him at inappropriate times of day and night. In order to ensure his bands could play at Drakes, however, and out of jealous frustration, he infected Dr. Drakes (the bar) with a deadly computer virus (G.8.T.5.B.Y), which took complete control of Dr. Drakes, creating Doctor O' Drake (the robot). King Liar and The Brutes acted as an antidote to Gatsby's malicious cyber-crime, and Dr. Drakes was returned to normal status by the end of the night.

I have to disagree with you there, Emperor Bokassa I. I was a session musician with Gatsby's band in the late 60's, and he snorted, injected, drank, fucked, robbed, and rocked as hard as the next guy. He is not as clean cut a figure as you might suggest.

The artificial heart rumour is true, though, I saw Gatsby's flesh heart cleft from his living body 40 years ago in Tokyo, by a minor celebrity who shall remain nameless, and has since met their demise (in suspicious circumstances). Fortunately thanks to judicious medication, Gatsby did not die, and instead walked to the nearest hospital.

Have you ever seen a man with no heart hike four miles through Shinjuku covered in his own arterial blood? I think emphatically not.