aberdeen-music

Rehearsal Rooms?

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

OK, what is everybody's favourite rehearsal room in Aberdeen and why? Price, facilities, service etc?

We have been using Musical Vision for the past while and Andy runs a good operation there, from memory I think it's 25 for two hours, but what are other people's favourites?

If i have to pay for it i'd generally choose Capt. Tom's over all the others. I think i've practiced once or twice at least in most of the rehearsal rooms available and Tom's have friendly and helpful staff, fairly good equipment and are central and have good 'facilities'.

The Foyer is also good, wasn't mad keen on Musical Vision though but i'm sure the guy had only been running it for a while when we practised there so i'm not going to hold that against them.

We have our own rehearsal studio out in Maud which we've soundproofed and set up to our own tastes that serves our purposes completely. It's set in nice surroundings, has a toilet and sink, is fairly warm once we get up and running and although its out of the way its not too expensive. Plus we can leave our gigging gear set up all the time which allows us to rehearse at gig volumes through our PA. As a bonus, we don't let anyone else use it so there's no-one monkeying around with our settings :p

Guest DustyDeviada

Tom's was always good when I was there but I seem to remember thinking it was getting pricey, how much is it nowadays?

Tom himself and all the guys there are cool. Anybody remember the old Tom's?

Tom's was always good when I was there but I seem to remember thinking it was getting pricey, how much is it nowadays?

Tom himself and all the guys there are cool. Anybody remember the old Tom's?

28 soapies for 2 hours the last time we were there. Agree that the guys there are friendly and helpful.

The old Tom's was cozy... or should I say tiny. Even the Foyer has a bigger room I think.

New Tom's is a much improved place really. Lots of space, lots of rooms, decent equipment and plenty of snacks for sale. It's more expensive than some of the other rooms but considering you can book and you know you'll have an amp that works, room to swing a cat in and you can get parked nearby it's pretty much worth the cash.

Guest bluesxman

Kartta have been using Musical Vision for many months, it's fine, the people are helpful and we have had no issues at all. 25 quid for 2 hours.

I have been to Tom's a lot in the past and although it's mostly fine, there is one room there that is absolutely hopeless soundwise, may be room 4. I went to the Foyer a few times with Dedalus, didn't think much of it, too cramped.

Ever since i've moved to Glasgow i've realised how bollocks the practice rooms are in Aberdeen. Recently we used one by Queen Street Station called LOFI. During off-peak time you can get 3 hours for 15 quid. We can did a during the day practice on a Saturday and it ost 24 quid for 3 hours - in their best room. The room was furnished nicely wish sofas ect, 2 marshall half stacks, an ampeg stack, a line 6 stack, PA with the option of 2 monitors, Pearl Export kit and the option of free live recording. The waiting room also featured vending machines, computers complete with music software and a flat-screen TV. Staff were great and it is firmly the best place i have ever been to practice. You can check out some pictures here: http://www.lofi.co.uk/gallery.htm

I only enjoy Toms if im not in Room 4 and i have taken my own head. Havn't been to Music Vision though.

i quite like musical vision, the guy's really helpful and they have some v tasty valve amps. we pretty much always get the slot we want and recently he gave us an extra hour for free because it was a quiet night and we go there every week. can't argue with that really. tom's would be handier for most of the band but we never really liked it with dedalus so tend to avoid it, nothing to do with the staff mind, we just couldn't get a sound we were happy with.

of course the holy grail is your own practice space using your gig equipment and with no one else using it. hard to find though.

You don't get much friendlier and helpful than the guys at musical vision. We had a lot of issues when tryin to get a replacement drummer (aka them not turning up) and had to cancel a few 3 hour session. We never got charged for cancelling which was nice, just cause we practiced there a lot. Its also cheaper than captain toms, a few rooms have 4 track recorders and I'd rather play through a Marshall JCM900 over a Laney solid state thing any day.

Been there once and though it was pretty crap tbh

The guy that runs it (who was apparently a friend of the guys I was playing with that day, so that could be part of it) was about 40 minutes late, and its a fairly wee room with wee ss hiwatts (which do the job albeit not brilliantly) - just didn't think it was particularly fantastic when I was there, though I would need to go back sometime to say for sure, sticking to toms for now though

Toms is still toms in its own shabby but endearing way, not particularly brilliant amps (take my own if I can) but decent enough rooms (I do like the days I have gotten the recording room for playing in) it could be a lot better, but it does the job and as always, could be a lot worse.

Never been to musical vision, went in one day to check about pries and gear and seem to remember it being more expensive (must have remembered it wrongly...) and the possibility of some nice valve amps is always good

David