aberdeen-music

Dance of Death anyone?

Joe Atom

Just wondering what people think of the new album?

I've listened to it twice and to be honest it's not what I expected at all. It has good bits and bad bits, I think it's more of a grower than BNW which was more of an instant album.

Face in the Sand kicks ass though! And I liked No More Lies a lot the second time I listened to it.

Anyone?

I'm really liking it. Been listening to it near constantly since it was bought. And although I agree that parts of it are "growers", right now i'm finding them few and far between. Being inceredibly un-music, unlike all you guys, I don't really notice things like sharp/easy chords or whatever.

I'd go as far as saying my trousers are firmly being prodded against the desk as I type this.

And No More Lies is probably my favourite song at the moment. :)

Guest Scorge Spike

I know this will sound a bit daft, but being the first time I'd bought an album on launch week since New Order put 'Get Ready' out over two years ago, I actually felt a bizarre rush of excitement (which, considering how deadpan I usually am, is no mean feat) when I hotfooted it to Tesco this arvo to pick it up.

Personal highlights so far have been Bruce's voice, which is still hellishly good - the lyrics are up to standard too. Best of all, Nicko McBrain looks like being quite adept at helping pen tunes.

Only qualm I have with the thing is with the epics - they're alright, but they're not quite 'there', and beause of this I'm currently thinking that the album gets weary towards the end. I'd like to have seen more of the straight-ahead crunch-riff guitar stuff (but then that's just me and my short attention span).

But most importantly, there's a lot of very apparent quality and substance within the album (the musicianship is as tight as you'd expect). Plently of live potential too. Overall, I think it's quite decent actually, better than I expected. Can already 'air-drum' to half the album already, so it's all good. :bat:

Originally posted by Mouse

H is a god on the album, Janick is really good but to me it seemed Davey didn't try as hard or get more solos down

Yeah we noticed that too (@the black atom listening party lol, bassists not invited ;) ) think we counted one or two dave solos, but my guess is, either davey has got sloppy in his old age and some of Janick's were actually dave or he's gone all neo-classical on yo ass and some of H's are daves?, i'd be gutted to find that he really didnt get that many solos on the record... maybe he's just having too much fun living in hawaii with his hot hawaiian bride to record solos!

as for the CD? man, im still listening to it, loving alot more now, the first listen was weird but by the end of it i kinda understood what was going on (as this is VERY un-maiden in places, yet they still have their names stamped all over it) and by the second listen it was just erm 'da bomb' so to speak.

I'm still having a big love affair with New Frontier, from the second i heard it i was wanting to jump around the room like a mad bastard, brilliant, just the chorus takes you to THAT place, you know the one! anyway yeah its all awesome, the song thats taken the longest to grow has to be Dance of Death, i can hear its good, but theres just somthing about it, think the intros too long or somthing?! not sure, i'll work it out!! cant belive Wildest dreams sticks out so much, its almost like a bonus track from another session but at the beggining of the CD? still ace tho, unlike alot of people i've liked it from the word go, still sticks out tho......

Bugger i was just gonna say that about the dave solo thing and look what i've done.... rambley rambley bollocks! i'll go and listen some more and try and come back with somthing slightly more constructive!

:woohoo:

OK, last night it all suddenly slotted into place and I realised how ace this record actually is! Gates of Tomorrow is brilliant. In fact, most of the album is, although I'm nae awfy keen on Montsegur. But the whole second half of the album is brilliant! And No More Lies too! And how fucking Heavy is Age Of Innocence!?

Although the synths are too loud all the way through for a prog cynic like myself ;)

There are actualy 4 or 5 Dave solos but for some reason they don't stick in the mind like Adrians ones which are brilliant.

Ooh, I'm just listening to Face in the Sand and the hairs on my skin just did that standing on end thing in the chorus...

mmm....

:]

HOORAY! I love new Iron Maiden albums!

Originally posted by Cammy

I think it's well ace: one of their best in my opinion (definitely better than Brave New World). Then again, since my favourite Iron Maiden album is Somewhere in Time my opinion may not count for much!

Somewhere in Time is my favourite album too, so your opinion counts double!

I still can't decide where this album fits in with the rest of them. You can't really evaluate an album until it's stood the test of time... get back to me in 6 months and I'll tell you then.

But wow, Gates of Tomorrow! Beasting pre-chorus then chorus! It's a killer combo!

Guest Bob Double Jack

I'm quite impressed by it. Not the usual run-of-the-mill Maiden stuff (which I think is great) stuff but some well thought out

tunes. I've only listened through it once, but now my car stereo is working again, I shall listen to it constantly.

Well, until the tape runs out and I listen to the "Double Jack" Album.... solely for research reasons obviously (ie. I have to learn the solos!)

:dunce:

Just in case anyone is in any doubt about the album I personally found that if you get your neighbours to play dance beats at a silly volume just as you get home from a long day at college/work/uni or what ever you do all day, then put on the album loud enough to block the beats out it sounds fantastic. I was a little sceptical at first but really started to enjoy the album so much more after doing this myself.:headbang:

Loving New Fronteer, Pashendale, Rainmaker and No More Lies at the moment. Rock on!!!:D