aberdeen-music

Blood Brothers, Tunnels, 16th January 2007

Jamesy

For a start, 1-up charge a 10% booking fee on all ticket sales, so if you got them there, then they'd cost 9.35 and on the door they cost 10, so I suppose I better apologise for that 65p 'hike' then, for a band that a couple of years ago, people would have never dreamed on coming to Aberdeen, me definitly concluded, I mean, I guess that 65p to see a band that's came all the way from Seattle is a massive ask, right...?

Secondly, by contract, door price has to be higher, so I have no choice.

Thirdly, charging an extra 65p screams of covering costs? If I hadn't sold one ticket for this show, and then did 300 on the door, it'd only take in an extra 195 at the very most, and believe me 195 doesn't make too much difference, especially when the band has a vs % deal, which 95% of bands I work with do.

And on the financial note, taking band like The Blood Brothers will never ever be a money earner for us, it's more of a coup than anything else, and something I really wanted to do, but hey, if you're going to let your misled ramblings cloud your mind and become the important thing, then boycott my shows, after all, we are the only promoter in the country selling tickets online....

Lighten up, my ticket supplier fucked up, not too much I can do about it. If it really bothered you that much, you could've went and got tickets from 1-up today and had enough for that mars bar, can of juice or bag of crisps on the way home.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lighten up, my ticket supplier fucked up, not too much I can do about it. If it really bothered you that much, you could've went and got tickets from 1-up today and had enough for that mars bar, can of juice or bag of crisps on the way home.

Fair dues, but i will say that you've known about ticket problems for over a month there would have been no harm in making alternate arrangements for printing. 10% is also a lot less than SeeTickets booking fees/postage and you clearly wouldn't've missed 65p per ticket on the door either.

And unfortunately i work full-time during the week making my chances of going down to One-Up during the day (especially when the tickets only went in or mention of them being there on the net surfaced around lunch-time) making my chances of going and getting them little or none. We don't all work when we feel like it ;)

Hope the gig went well, needless to say i didn't go as i didn't want to go all the way down there and stand in a queue to find out it had sold out (although i'm sure it didn't), but when you've got other things to do chancing that isn't an option.

Hope the gig went well, needless to say i didn't go as i didn't want to go all the way down there and stand in a queue to find out it had sold out (although i'm sure it didn't), but when you've got other things to do chancing that isn't an option.

you missed out

blood brothers are the tits!!!

and some cans of juice are 70p - rip off!

Fair dues, but i will say that you've known about ticket problems for over a month there would have been no harm in making alternate arrangements for printing. 10% is also a lot less than SeeTickets booking fees/postage and you clearly wouldn't've missed 65p per ticket on the door either.

And unfortunately i work full-time during the week making my chances of going down to One-Up during the day (especially when the tickets only went in or mention of them being there on the net surfaced around lunch-time) making my chances of going and getting them little or none. We don't all work when we feel like it ;)

half full, but a dissapointing gig, not the bloodbrothers fault, they played well, and tried to be as energetic as possible (if you stand in front of a room of people not moving).

I am too old (aww, shame grandad) for "going down the front", but could have easily strolled to the front and nodded my head, in my own wee space, like everyone else seemed to be doing.

the sound was awful too, I've been to a few gigs in the tunnels, most recenlty (dub trio and Noxagt), and the sound was superb then...so fuck knows what was going on last night(they did have their own sound guy, but he obviously couldnt "work" the desk).

I was really looking forward to last night, but came away dissapointed.

In the Tunnels sound tends to be dodgy when touring Sound Engineers are involved. I t is a hard space to get sound right in because of the shape, but jenny has it down to a T now, so it reqally only has bad sound when they dont listen to her... och weel.

the sound was awful too, I've been to a few gigs in the tunnels, most recenlty (dub trio and Noxagt), and the sound was superb then...so fuck knows what was going on last night(they did have their own sound guy, but he obviously couldnt "work" the desk).

I was really looking forward to last night, but came away dissapointed.

Thank you!

I hated the sound last night, couldn't make out a thing as the drum and bass overpowered everything.

On the moving about comment, I don't think people have to move about if they don't want to.

I want to appreciate the music in my own way if that's just by nodding my head and taking it in for what is then so be it.

My two cents at least.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I highly enjoyed myself nonetheless and it was great to finally see The Blood Brothers.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

The sounds was pretty good onstage :up:

Crowd was well over half capacity, and must have been close to full. There wasn't a space from the stage to the door. The Blood Brothers were tight, energetic and highly entertaining. The crowd was largely indifferent. The support act were more or less terrible.

While we're on it: SeeTickets is fucking useless for all the kids who don't have credit/debit cards and whose parents won't buy stuff like that on theirs. The whole point of having tickets available in an outlet is to combat that and to avoid postal charges and booking fees.

Seetickets are bastards anyway, I know a lot of people who won't buy tickets from them in principle. They're notorious for cocking up, and the absolute ripoff of charging 9.25 for a 6 face value ticket is beyond a joke.

What's worse is that if primary ticket sellers get forced into giving refunds, then we're going to see booking fees (and gig ticket prices) rise even more in order to cover people's backs financially.

It's a shame that RFR aren't committed to providing a ticket outlet free of booking fees like they used to, it was always something that really stuck out as a commitment to being there for the gig goer, not for the faceless corporate man.

Course, I know fuck all anyway.

It's a shame that RFR aren't committed to providing a ticket outlet free of booking fees like they used to, it was always something that really stuck out as a commitment to being there for the gig goer, not for the faceless corporate man.

Course, I know fuck all anyway.

Since when?

I don't think there is any ticket outlet that doesn't charge booking fees. That's how they make their money.

Since when?

I don't think there is any ticket outlet that doesn't charge booking fees. That's how they make their money.

no, its how they usually cover costs! one up have to pay somebodies time spent to give you a ticket, take your money etc and that person also needs to be paid for the time spent when doing a handover to a promoter. lets not forget all of the other overheads which it makes a minute contribution to! we are talking about 65p, if people are actualyl wanting to go to a gig 65p makes very little difference.

i think what cloud meant was being able to buy tickets minus booking fees at the bassment. due to the amount of gigs that rfr put on there is no way they could keep that system going (??).

nobody complains about it in glasgow or edinburgh so i dont see what the commotion is about. after all, aberdeen is on a par with glasgow and ahead of edinburgh in the commercial music scene. this what comes with the territory. im sure you would rather not go back to the dark ages for the sake of a few quid

no, its how they usually cover costs! one up have to pay somebodies time spent to give you a ticket, take your money etc and that person also needs to be paid for the time spent when doing a handover to a promoter. lets not forget all of the other overheads which it makes a minute contribution to! we are talking about 65p, if people are actualyl wanting to go to a gig 65p makes very little difference.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't complaining I was just under the impression that they make their profit through the booking fees but again, I'm wrong.

The sounds was pretty good onstage :up:

Crowd was well over half capacity, and must have been close to full. There wasn't a space from the stage to the door. The Blood Brothers were tight, energetic and highly entertaining. The crowd was largely indifferent. The support act were more or less terrible.

i 100% agree with this review. Blood Brothers were great.

Guest bluesxman
Seetickets are bastards anyway, I know a lot of people who won't buy tickets from them in principle. They're notorious for cocking up, and the absolute ripoff of charging 9.25 for a 6 face value ticket is beyond a joke.

True story. I got charged for 2 Arab Strap tickets rather than just the one I ordered, when I sent an e-mail query they ignored it and posted out 2 tickets. Luckily I knew someone who was happy to take the ticket off my hands but in principle the fact they didn't send any form of reply means they suck in my opinion and if I can avoid using them I will. Not staying in town makes ticket purchase from One Up less convenient but better than being charged ridiculous booking fees for shite service.

Not staying in town makes ticket purchase from One Up less convenient but better than being charged ridiculous booking fees for shite service.

That was mostly my point, though i stay in town i work fulltime all week so i very rarely get down to One-Up. In the past month both myself and my girlfriend went out of our way to go in there to get tickets for this gig, only to be told that they weren't there and to go online to pay for them. Now, in general i'm not against ordering tickets online, it was more the principle that thsi was in my own city and there was literally no good reason why the tickets weren't in One-Up.

My point against paying on the door was that i wasn't going to risk wasting my night when i had other offers going down to the tunnels on the off chance that it hadn't sold out on the door. 65p isn't a big deal, that's why if i was doing it i'd've arranged to keep the door prices at face value just to keep my gig goers sweet and make it seem like a bit more of a deal. Who know's it may have attracted more people, i.e people who'd been put off by a lack of any quality service.

Anyway, i'm glad it was well attended. Hope they come back. If they don't it's no great shakes, i don't even like them that much.

you do realise one up will take payment over the phone for tickets don't you? they'll post them out to you as well. maybe not that useful if the tickets only go on sale on the day of the gig but handy for future reference. although i'm sure they can give your ticket to the promoter for collection at the door as well should you be unable to collect it before the store closes.

i dont care about ticket prices for quality acts such as the Blood Brothers. hell, i would have payed 20 to see them in aberdeen.

and they were pretty much everything i had hoped for. if anyone feels a bit let down, then its probably not the bands fault that they felt uncomfortable infront of a more or less passive audience.

if hands in your pockets could kill, the gig would have been a massacre.

you do realise one up will take payment over the phone for tickets don't you? they'll post them out to you as well. maybe not that useful if the tickets only go on sale on the day of the gig but handy for future reference. although i'm sure they can give your ticket to the promoter for collection at the door as well should you be unable to collect it before the store closes.

I'm well aware of that Dave, you answered you're own question later on. It was only in this case that it made a difference because there were no tickets til the day. I'm not willing to chance a cock-up with tickets 'waiting for me' at the door either. I'm a short tempered person at the best of times, i'm sure the tunnels staff don't want to see me irate when somebody's wasted my time ;)