aberdeen-music

car insurance

WoodyRATM

hey, i need to renew my car insurance in december. So i'm looking for quotes just now.

can anyone recomend a good and cheap insurer? i'm with elephant just now but they're customer service was pants (to me anyway)

i'm also 17 just now (18 in december though) i have an accelearated policy just now, so i got a years no claims.

i'd rather have full comp. and it'd be for a vauxhall corsa 02 plate.

any help would be great :up:

I've never figured out the formula for picking a cheap one every time. It just seems insanely random how they get to some of the quotes I've had over the years (the best one was when a man at the AA started giving me numbers from the back of Max Power as they couldn't give me a quote on my "performance car", a 10 year old Rover 214).

Having said that I've been with Direct Line for the last 3 years and they're always one of the 3 cheapest when I do the rounds each year.

I've never figured out the formula for picking a cheap one every time. It just seems insanely random how they get to some of the quotes I've had over the years (the best one was when a man at the AA started giving me numbers from the back of Max Power as they couldn't give me a quote on my "performance car", a 10 year old Rover 214).

Having said that I've been with Direct Line for the last 3 years and they're always one of the 3 cheapest when I do the rounds each year.

cheers, i'll have a gander at a quote just now.

I'm afraid to say this dude BUT: Those accelerated bonus policies are rarely recognised by other insurers...It's more a ploy by your existing insurer.

i know it seems to be that way. :( i may have to last with elephant another (full) year :(

and confused.com is pish.. . very last screen and the website goes retarded. :swearing:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
www.confused.com - enter your details and view the list of quotes, sorted by price. Right now i'm being raped £185 a month after getting a new set of wheels in august. best quote for my renewal in december is £580 for a year's fully comp

Guest Neubeatz

Oh how age can be an advantage,

£140 per year tpft on my audi...:) (and I think thats a rip)

When I was dealing, I had a "traders policy", that was £300 per year, any vehicle......

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Oh how age can be an advantage,

140 per year tpft on my audi...:) (and I think thats a rip)

When I was dealing, I had a "traders policy", that was 300 per year, any vehicle......

what's the model + engine?

unfortunately by december i will only have completed my 2nd year of no claims :(

Elephant and Confused are both shite. They search through all the other insurers, that's all.

You're cheaper searching through the individual insurers yourself. I tried through Elephant when I first got my car, with the cheapest quote being £1600. Searching for insurance myself, I was only a grand.

Guest Neubeatz
what's the model + engine?

unfortunately by december i will only have completed my 2nd year of no claims :(

'tis a 1.6 petrol 80 Tam, cheap and basic....

I've got so much no claims bonus it doesnt make any difference any more..

once you get to 4 years thats it...you'll get no more NCB. SOme comapnies may give you an extra %5 to make it %65 but no more.

True, and after those 4 years you usually get offered the chance to protect your no-claims bonus for an extra bit of cash every year. So if you do have an accident, your no-claims won't be affected.

I always thought 5 years was the max, but I'll take Ben's word for it that it's 4. In which case I should really have started protecting it last year. My big fear is that just before my renewal date, when I can get them to protect my bonus, some prick is going to crash into my car while it's parked or something and leave me screwed.

Also I always find I get a cheaper quote direct from the company rather than with confused.com or similar services.

I found the quotes from the companies websites were more expensive than confused.com. I'm £850 fully comp with 1 years NCB for a 1.4 Civic from RAC, pretty absurd but the Civic is in quite a high insurance group for some reason. It doesn't matter to me though mummy and daddy paid mine HAHAHAHAHA.

4 years is definately the max NCB as well you bags full of balls.

I found the quotes from the companies websites were more expensive than confused.com. I'm 850 fully comp with 1 years NCB for a 1.4 Civic from RAC, pretty absurd but the Civic is in quite a high insurance group for some reason. It doesn't matter to me though mummy and daddy paid mine HAHAHAHAHA.

4 years is definately the max NCB as well you bags full of balls.

I've never understood folk who get their cars/insurance,etc paid for by their parents. Having a car is part of being independent, learn to pay for it yourselves!

I'm £850 fully comp with 1 years NCB for a 1.4 Civic from RAC, pretty absurd but the Civic is in quite a high insurance group for some reason.

I've got a 1.4i civic and I'm only £260 a year fully comp (with 5 yrs NCB). Having just looked it up on Parkers it's group 4 for insurance which is actually pretty low, but there seems to be a large variation across the range of 1.4 civics

I'm with Elephant, 'cos my renewal with them was over £1000 (yes, really) cheaper than *anyone* else (except Bell and Admiral, who are the same company). I do have business class insurance, but the difference was ridiculous - and that was having tried all the supposedly cheap insurers. Although at the time I did have no no-claims (other people have hit my car 3 times in the last year), which has since been restored.

Guest onlynik
185 a month is ok for what you drive...I paid more for a fucking banger...

3.2 6 cylinder Jag 0 No claims Fully Comp + 90 days european £226, there are other factors to take in, ie How many miles you do, whether you comute in the car, where you live, is it garaged. Smaller insurers have always been good to me.